Need advice on recording vocals from those that know how to get a full sound

• Members

Originally posted by witesol

back to recording, it seemed to me that a more organic approach to the mixes would have helped your vocal sound. Sometimes we work so hard on the vocal with mics, EQ and effects that I/we forget that the vocal needs a nice place to sit within a song. everything can't be aggressive and bright, you'll constantly fight for a space.

the other less glamorous issue is how are you perceiving what you're recording, meaning your monitoring environment/studio monitors? ..and to a lessor extent what are the acoustics of the space in which you sing? I can think of no other piece of equipment that is on every single track I record, like my room..or a piece of gear that gets used to judge every recorded and mixed piece: monitors.

go tigers

GO TIGERS is right Witesol. It's been since 1984 that we had a team like this. You don't mind that we beat Oakland? As far as my room, it's untreated. Just a little extra insulation behind the drywall- nothing significant. I took several people's advice on mic placement, and I might now be getting a little crazy with the eq. I don't know, you tell me. I posted up my most recent song on my MySpace called Justify. The techniques I learned from all of you were implemented and the chorus is only one single vocal track. Monitors? {censored} it sucks I use headphones. I'm saving up for some decent ones. I understand the importance. So the acoustics are kinda reverb-y. If that's a word lol. Thanks everyone.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a 13 mile & Orchard Lk. rd. transplant.

best make yourself a little vocal "booth" maybe by using a couple mic boom stands with the boom arms out horizontal, and drape a comforter over it. form a V shape around the mic, it'll sound better for sure. ..and get some monitors.

• Members

Haven't been in Detroit since the 1970's, back when I was at U of M. Used to work some of the clubs, and go to Baker's Keyboard whenever I could. Heard a lot of great music there. Is it still around?

Good luck to the Tigers. I always like to see teams win that haven't won in a long time, like the Red Sox and White Sox recently. Someday maybe even the Cubs will get their chance...

• Members

I spent my first 26 years in Michigan, definately rooting for the Tigers.

If they can go from losing 119 games in 2003 to the world series three years later than anything is possible. Maybe even the Lions getting it together. Oh wait, they have Millen.....

And I know the feeling nfm420 about not getting the right vocal sound, I'm still learning about it. Our band's singer has a great voice and projection but I'm still learning about entry level studio work. Actually, entry level is still an overstatement....

• Members

All be damn this post went from a 180 to a 360 to a 45 degree angle. lol. Sorry to everyone but the {censored} who said I need to shove my mic up my ass. You all have taught me a lot and I thank you very much for that. The Tigers are gonna take this {censored} and I can feel it. Damn it, should I buy the RNP or the Safe Sound Audio P1? I have the Native Platinum plugin kit which I never mentioned before.. If anyone wants to listen to how ya'll have helped me, listen to my latest track "Justify". www.myspace.com/newlyformedmindset

Thanks to all of you..

• Members

Originally posted by littledog

Yes, the truth finally comes out. On this forum, everyone is Jewish.

You know. I looked at that word "gentile" and I thought it didn't look right. Genteel, Genteel, that's the word I meant.

Was early in the morning and senior moments are getting more frequent.

Archived