Need advice on recording vocals from those that know how to get a full sound

• Members

Originally posted by nfm420

I don't know where anyone gets off saying I insulted them.

After seven helpful posts you write:

Is it really true that most of you don't know how to make a full sounding vocal track with a good mic like a Rode NTK?

And you don't understand how that insults people? Amazing.

Again, who are you addressing here with this remark?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I see what happened. You asked a question, and then when hundreds of people didn't respond, that's when you came out with your: "Is it really true most of you don't know how..." line. I think what you meant by it was, all the people not answering you must not know how. However, those of us who tried to actually help you assumed that remark was directed at us.

You should understand, most people here are NOT getting paid here to answer your questions. Those of us who have the time and the inclination, plus an idea of an answer, may or may not decide to help you. However, no one should ever feel any obligation to do so if they are not so inclined. And for you to expect otherwise is naive.

Showing some respect for people who are volunteering their time and energy, even if you don't agree with all their suggestions, should be a function of any civilized interaction. There are as many different personalities here as there are members - some people will answer you with gentleness, others with brusqueness which you might interpret as rude. But you are the one seeking information - not the ones answering you. So regardless of personal style, you might recognize the basic fact that people did try and help you. If you already had the answer you wanted in mind, then why bother asking the question?

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

After seven helpful posts you write:

And you don't understand how that insults people? Amazing.

Again, who are you addressing here with this remark?

I wasn't talking to anyone that posted. Nor do I expect everyone in the forum to give me their insight. I wasn't aware this was such a touchy forum. I am harmless. When I said what I did (should have re-phrased it), I was basically just stating that I thought a lot more people would respond. And was hoping Phil would as well. I see a lot of people posting on some pretty silly questions that don't have much relevance. That's all I meant by it. To those who did help me, again thanks. I don't know how many times I can say thank you. I really do appreciate it. And it did help. If this is how everyone is here, I'll look for info elsewhere. Thanks again.

• Members

Originally posted by littledog

I think I see what happened. You asked a question, and then when hundreds of people didn't respond, that's when you came out with your: "Is it really true most of you don't know how..." line. I think what you meant by it was, all the people not answering you must not know how. However, those of us who tried to actually help you assumed that remark was directed at us.

You should understand, most people here are NOT getting paid here to answer your questions. Those of us who have the time and the inclination, plus an idea of an answer, may or may not decide to help you. However, no one should ever feel any obligation to do so if they are not so inclined. And for you to expect otherwise is naive.

Showing some respect for people who are volunteering their time and energy, even if you don't agree with all their suggestions, should be a function of any civilized interaction. There are as many different personalities here as there are members - some people will answer you with gentleness, others with brusqueness which you might interpret as rude. But you are the one seeking information - not the ones answering you. So regardless of personal style, you might recognize the basic fact that people did try and help you. If you already had the answer you wanted in mind, then why bother asking the question?

I never claimed to have the answer, nor did I expect a hundred people to give me their insight. But why some people can't infer and are so sensitive here is beyond me. I was just surprised more people didn't answer. And for those of you who did help, I don't see why you would think I was talking to ya'll cause I thanked each and every one of you several times. I don't have the energy for this drama. This is supposed to be a place where people can get help. I help whenever I can. But if everyone is gonna freak out and attack me for not understanding my statements, I'll search elsewhere for info. Thanks to those who didn't insult. Me

• Members

Check out what Mr Tough Guy AKA nfm420 didn't have the balls to post here and sent to me via e-mail:

Whatever staff member at your rinky dink studio that told me to shove my Rode NTK up my ass is a {censored}in retard. I'd snap your neck in a heartbeat. {censored} you for saying the bull{censored} you did. Be happy you live nowhere near me, cause I would shatter your whole world. {censored}in wannabe tough guy talkin {censored} through a computer. Everyone working for your studio looks like a bunch of pussies, minus the dog. I'll give him credit. Just so you know, your recordings sound like ass for the gear you are working with. I've heard much better with less than half of what you have. Don't ever {censored}in disrespect me like that. Or I'll come after your sorry ass and you will wish you never opened for {censored}in mouth. Punk ass.

Another addition to the iggy list.

• Members

If this is how everyone is here, I'll look for info elsewhere. Thanks again.

I asked THREE times about who you were addressing and you chose not to answer.

And if you can't understand why, after seven posts, someone writing that wouldn't be perceived as a king-sized prick, then you really need some help with your interpersonal skills.

Never mind, I saw the rest of the posts. Just wastin' my breath. :D Sheeeesh!!!

• Members
Originally posted by where02190

IS it really true that you're an ignorant ass?

Try shoving that NTK up your ass and choke on your M-box then.

Have fun trying to get advise here in the future.

Nick kicks ass! :D

:thu:

I take just about every piece of advice he gives me, and in this case I think you should do exactly as he says!

:D

• Members

But if everyone is gonna freak out and attack me for not understanding my statements, I'll search elsewhere for info.

Gee, a whole bunch of apparently fairly knowledgeable people were unclear about the intent of your statements. Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, your communication skills could be at least partly to blame here?

Do you think we all get together in the middle of the night at some parking lot and say: "Damn... who can we unfairly pick on today?"

Based on my experience, this is one of the most civil music forums in the virtual universe. Maybe you are not used to people telling you to shove microphones up your ass. With me, they usually suggest much larger and spikier objects. If you actually care to participate in this sort of place, you might want to check out e-bay. Someone there might be selling a thicker skin and some better communication skills. I'd suggest you grab them.

Nice e-mail to Where, by the way. At least there was no ambiguous language. Somewhat immature but definitely not ambiguous.

• Members

Originally posted by witesol

perhaps if he put some of that angst into the vocal track he wouldn't need to triple it with pitch correction..

Just let it die will ya? What's the point of carrying this on? I don't need to double or triple anything. You have yet to hear anything I've done, so why comment? I double or triple for a certain effect, and use auto tune just as they do on almost all commercial records. I have plenty of angst in my singing, believe me. And thanks to some of the members here, I have gotten a single track to sound nice and fat. That's what my original question was, and I got it answered pretty well. Thanks for those who helped.

• Members

Now if only you could learn some humility and to apologize for your blatant disrespect of those trying to help you instead of just being an ass, you might have a shot at being a half way decent human being, and gaining a small shred of respect back here, but that's probably too much to ask for....

• Members

Just let it die will ya? What's the point of carrying this on? I don't need to double or triple anything. You have yet to hear anything I've done, so why comment? I double or triple for a certain effect, and use auto tune just as they do on almost all commercial records. I have plenty of angst in my singing, believe me.

sorry, a little joke. Some sarcasm. My apologies. I did listen to everything on your myspace and read everything on the page as well. I always do that first to get an understanding of where someone's coming from. I like a lot of the song ideas.

• Members

Check out what Mr Tough Guy AKA nfm420 didn't have the balls to post here and sent to me via e-mail:

Another addition to the iggy list.

Quite the email, I wouldn't take any {censored} from that.

And secondly, dude, post us a clip of your voice, because you keep on saying this and that, but we have no idea what you actually sound like.

• Members

Just let it die will ya? What's the point of carrying this on?

At this point, it becomes an interesting exercise to see if you have any sense of humor at all. Don't worry, once it is established that you don't, we will all get bored with you soon enough.

But here's a hint: the ability to laugh at oneself is a very useful skill on internet forums. ;)

I wasn't talking to anyone that posted. Nor do I expect everyone in the forum to give me their insight. I wasn't aware this was such a touchy forum. I am harmless. When I said what I did (should have re-phrased it), I was basically just stating that I thought a lot more people would respond. And was hoping Phil would as well. I see a lot of people posting on some pretty silly questions that don't have much relevance. That's all I meant by it. To those who did help me, again thanks. I don't know how many times I can say thank you. I really do appreciate it. And it did help. If this is how everyone is here, I'll look for info elsewhere. Thanks again.

Okay, everyone please take a deep breath and relax for a minute. Feeling better? Good... then let's continue. :)

What we have here, IMHO, is a failure to communicate. Or more precisely, a misunderstanding over communications. I think your comment got the ball rolling...

"Is it really true that most of you don't know how to make a full sounding vocal track with a good mic like a Rode NTK?'

I think that several people thought you had intended that comment for them, even after you had been given what they thought (and I generally agree) was some very good advice. And had that been the actual case, I could totally understand them taking offense to that comment - if you offered advice in a sincere effort to help someone, and then you thought they were saying you were incapable of recording a full sounding vocal with a decent mic, you might feel slighted too.

IMO, some of the comments that followed via posts and PM's were not the type of things I want to see posted on HC, and especially not on a forum with my name on it. In the future I would hope that, even when things get hot and heavy, everyone will refrain from those sorts of comments.

This forum is supposed to be a place for all of us - experts and neophytes, hobbiests and pros - to discuss life in the studio. I've always encouraged the pros and veterans to "pay it forward" and help people who are just starting out. That hasn't changed, and I hope that as we move forward, we can continue to treat each other - regardless of our individual experience levels, and the disagreements on methods and opinions about gear that will inevitably occur, with the utmost in respect and civility.

I apologise to you nfm420 for not responding to this thread earlier - but to be honest, I thought everyone else had pretty well handled it and said most of what I would have suggested, so my answers would have just been redundant.

And thanks to some of the members here, I have gotten a single track to sound nice and fat. That's what my original question was, and I got it answered pretty well. Thanks for those who helped.

And at the end of the day, that's what matters. You asked, you got some good answers, and that information helped you in getting what you were after printed to tape (disk, whatever ;) ). So let's all please put this behind us and move forward. :)

• Members

sorry, a little joke. Some sarcasm. My apologies. I did listen to everything on your myspace and read everything on the page as well. I always do that first to get an understanding of where someone's coming from. I like a lot of the song ideas.

No problem my man. Thanks a million for the compliment. That's great you check out people's stuff before you post. I think that's really amazing about you. Appreciate it witesol.

• Members

Now if only you could learn some humility and to apologize for your blatant disrespect of those trying to help you instead of just being an ass, you might have a shot at being a half way decent human being, and gaining a small shred of respect back here, but that's probably too much to ask for....

I will not apologize to you Nick. You were a blaitant asshole (which you had the class to call me one when I thanked you prior several times). I am sorry about the email though. I have a few band members that use my account. I have since changed my password so they can't access any of my stuff. I never disrespected you, however you told me to shove my mic up my ass. I am more than a half-way decent human being.. I do a lot for my community, treat people well, and have been doing music for almost all my life. The fact that you freaked out on me and DISRESPECTED me the way you did, shows your class. I have nothing to say to you. I thanked you many times, and look what I got. I'm done being confrontational here. So leave me alone.

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Okay, everyone please take a deep breath and relax for a minute. Feeling better? Good... then let's continue.
:)

What we have here, IMHO, is a failure to communicate. Or more precisely, a misunderstanding over communications. I think your comment got the ball rolling...

"Is it really true that most of you don't know how to make a full sounding vocal track with a good mic like a Rode NTK?'

I think that several people thought you had intended that comment for them, even after you had been given what they thought (and I generally agree) was some very good advice. And had that been the actual case, I could totally understand them taking offense to that comment - if you offered advice in a sincere effort to help someone, and then you
thought
they were saying you were incapable of recording a full sounding vocal with a decent mic, you might feel slighted too.

IMO, some of the comments that followed via posts and PM's were not the type of things I want to see posted on HC, and especially not on a forum with my name on it. In the future I would hope that, even when things get hot and heavy, everyone will refrain from those sorts of comments.

This forum is supposed to be a place for all of us - experts and neophytes, hobbiests and pros - to discuss life in the studio. I've always encouraged the pros and veterans to "pay it forward" and help people who are just starting out. That hasn't changed, and I hope that as we move forward, we can continue to treat each other - regardless of our individual experience levels, and the disagreements on methods and opinions about gear that will inevitably occur, with the utmost in respect and civility.

I apologise to you nfm420 for not responding to this thread earlier - but to be honest, I thought everyone else had pretty well handled it and said most of what I would have suggested, so my answers would have just been redundant.

And thanks to some of the members here, I have gotten a single track to sound nice and fat. That's what my original question was, and I got it answered pretty well. Thanks for those who helped.

And at the end of the day, that's what matters. You asked, you got some good answers, and that information helped you in getting what you were after printed to tape (disk, whatever
;)
). So let's all please put this behind us and move forward.
:)

Thanks Phil. I think you summed it all up very well. And I do see how some could have taken my statement the wrong way. I just don't understand why someone in this forum (not naming anyone), had to go the extra mile to attack and insult me. I did not send anyone any emails, with the exception on explaining myself to Mark the other moderator. I just want to say, sorry for anyone that misunderstood me. I truly appreciate the advice that was given and it really helped me out on my latest track. I'm now learning more about EQ from Tweak Sounds, and after a few people's advice I am singing over my Rode NTK. Thanks everyone, and again I am sorry.

• Members

Usually when I get an e-mail from signed by someone, I assume it was written by the person signing it. Wouldn't you?

Thank you for explaining it wasn't really you who wrote the e-mail, but I don't think you can really blame anyone for not realizing someone had forged your name.

Now, about that thicker skin...

• Members

back to recording, it seemed to me that a more organic approach to the mixes would have helped your vocal sound. Sometimes we work so hard on the vocal with mics, EQ and effects that I/we forget that the vocal needs a nice place to sit within a song. everything can't be aggressive and bright, you'll constantly fight for a space.
the other less glamorous issue is how are you perceiving what you're recording, meaning your monitoring environment/studio monitors? ..and to a lessor extent what are the acoustics of the space in which you sing? I can think of no other piece of equipment that is on every single track I record, like my room..or a piece of gear that gets used to judge every recorded and mixed piece: monitors.

go tigers

• Members

everything can't be aggressive and bright, you'll constantly fight for a space.

No, but why does it seem like so many pop and dance songs seem to go for this? Ouuuuch!!!! Until I get older and get that nice and natural high-end roll-off, it's gonna be painful!!! :D

• Members

seems a mastering, more than a mixing issue, but agreed. There is a difference between choosing a brightish agressive sound, and ending up with one because of hyped C1 type mics, overuse of digital EQ and bad gain structuring. I can accept one more than the other, neither being preferred. One seems "demo" and the other slammed by choice... but still using high end stuff and good recording techniques. OK, I'm making little sense at all
:freak: carry on..

Archived