Making your Digi or MOTU suddenly sound a lot better (modification)

• Members

I'd like to know what the difference is like on a completed mix. Personally, I am not hearing this alleged "night and day" difference that several people are claiming based on just those single instrument clips, and I wouldn't expect to to begin with. One guy asserted that we aren't in the guy's room and there's no possible way we could hear the difference with the MP3s. Geez, come on, the entire point of recording stuff is that you give it to everyone else. That makes no sense at all.

There are some horrible level mismatches, and even with just the more minor ones, it totally throws it all off even if you try to match the levels yourself. I find this all a tad on the ridiculous side. Some people seemed to refer to it as a "scientific" comparison, but it seems very far from it to me.

• Members

The one time I've heard a "night-and-day" difference was when I upgraded to an Apogee Rosetta 800 converter from my stock Digi001 converters. The difference was indeed not subtle, especially on a mix. Literally everyone in my band could hear the difference.

But of course, that's not even a fair comparison, nor is it a $450 mod.

I would also love to hear the difference with a mod on an entire mix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

[snip]...

As far as the clocking,
Lee
, if you are using something like a API A2D, then the internal clock on the 002 / 002R is not in the picture - you'd need to set it to external clock via S/PDIF, with the API serving as the master clock. Since I also use external clocking, I'd be less interested - read that as "wouldn't need" - the clock modification to my Digi hardware.

...[snip]

Just to be a total PITA, here...

Using an external clock source (either another from another A/D or from an external, dedicated clock source such as a Big Ben) does NOT take the internal clock out of the picture. Quick and dirty: the A/D converter uses PLL (a phase locked loop circuit) to synchronize its internal clock to an incoming source -- which is part of the reason that using an external clock will tend to degrade sampling accuracy.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I am BLA Lovecraft's Thread Re-animator! :o

I've got a pair of MOTU 2408's and I'm thinking I might take the plunge and have one of them upgraded and try to compare them. They've got a 15% discount going on, I've got Xmas cash on the way and I could always use another gear related tax write off! :p

If I do so I'll let you know what's going on. :thu:

• Members

As an owner of a bla modded 002 I gotta say you just need to hear it in person. I was a bit skeptical but had gotten a good deal on my 002 so couldn't resist. IMO it really is a night and day, took the blanket off the monitors, kind of difference. The biggest improvement comes in a full mix. I could never get the seperation I wanted until had the mod done. I'm just guessing but I think it's the clock mod that helps the most. So I'm not saying an external convertor and pres couldn't do the same. But I don't think there's a combo that can do the same for the same price. Btw the pres are good neutral pres but there are probably better.

Archived