Single F-Bomb in song = explicit lyrics?

backtoblue

• Members

hey guys, I'm about to put my band's new CD on cdbaby and am debating whether a particular song that has the f-word in it once would constitute the need to label the song as having explicit lyrics. I'm not even sure if it's worth worrying about, but figure might be better safe than sorry. Anyone have any insight?

• Members

Does CD baby require the explicit label if there is an F Bomb? What are they, WALMART now? {censored} them.

Well, there are people who don't want to be exposed to profanity, and it should be respected. A warning label hurts no one.

I remember when my 15 year old son borrowed my truck and left one of his hip hop CDs in the player. I was giving some of our friends' small kids a ride home from a birthday party, and all of a sudden while I'm buckling them in the back seat the CD starts and hear about 4 F bombs, bitches and hos, nigga this and nigga that...all before I could shut it off! ACK!

• Members

I think it would be really funny if someone were to come out with a track full of F bombs about how stupid teenagers are. They'd be so confused - they're supposed to like it because the lyrics are inappropriate, but it's making fun of them! What to do, what to do...

LOL. When my son is that age, if I find a CD of that crap in my car he's getting it back in pieces. Pardon me - in F*cking pieces.

• Members

The Hip hop/Rap drivel these kids listen to is full of gangsta talk, misogynistic rhetoric and lots and lots of F-Bombs. Seriously. They grew up on music that is way more profanity laden than anything we did. I'm quite sure they can handle one F...

• Moderators

wait...which c***? :confused:

;)

sven, keep in mind that there is a large religious minority in the USA that may be offended by almost anything...like saying you are more popular than Jesus, that you out-sold the Bible, that there should/shouldn't be a mosque in lower Manhattan...etc... :poke:

We are now a nation of people afraid to express ourselves freely in the land of free speech. Go figure... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of Ben Franklin's observation: Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

• Members

wait...which c***?
:confused:
;)

sven, keep in mind that there is a large religious minority in the USA that may be offended by almost anything...like saying you are more popular than Jesus, that you out-sold the Bible, that there should/shouldn't be a mosque in lower Manhattan...etc... :poke:

We are now a nation of people afraid to express ourselves freely in the land of free speech. Go figure...
:rolleyes:

Reminds me of Ben Franklin's observation: Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Yea and i say {censored} Them..Right to their faces. Freedom of Speech and all. I take it seriously. Ben Franklin was a genius.

• Moderators

Ben Franklin was a genius.

I dunno...anyone who would fly a kite in an electrical storm.... :idk:;)

Franklin, Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt are three of my favorite hisoric figures because despite their 'position', they were always willing to say what needed to be said...and then go do it. :cool:

• Members

We're only reaping what we've sown. Once we decided as a culture that there is somehow a right to not be offended, we accepted the bargain. Now, certain racial epithets are out of bounds and determined to be racist, regardless of context. Even words that vaguely sound like them are. Sexual innuendo and even certain words is deemed harrassment. Can't say anything that could even be interpreted as derogatory to a whole host of groups, from women to gays to minorities to Muslims, that any of them may find offensive. You can't use certain terms now that races and religious groups have claimed ownership of. Even Huck Finn has been scrubbed of the dreaded "N-word" because, should some black kid decide to read it one day, might be offended by a word his friends call him all day long.

I don't think people should be intentionally offensive, but if they want to be, so what? Let 'em, and we'll fight back against them with more speech and ideas, not less. I happen to agree with Lenny Bruce, that it is the suppression of words, not their use, that gives them power.

[video=youtube;SOnkv76rNL4]

• Members

thats just the way it is...you have to draw the line somewhere

One boob gets an "R" rating too.....

To be honest, if you have one "F" Bomb throughout an entire CD, why even use it? Is it that detrimental to your message?

I suppose, but saying "I'm awfully sad" doesn't quite have the same impact as "I'm so {censored}ing sad", which are the actual lyrics in question. In context, it's really not that bad - at least in my opinion. It's not like it's just inserted in randomly for shock value or something.

• Members

I suppose, but saying "I'm awfully sad" doesn't quite have the same impact as "I'm so {censored}ing sad", which are the actual lyrics in question. In context, it's really not that bad - at least in my opinion. It's not like it's just inserted in randomly for shock value or something.

OK, I understand...

you could have changed it to GD, got that same tension, and avoided the Explicit Lyric tag......

Archived