Hit out of bedroom

• Members

The band Crossfade had a hit song (Cold) that played on mainstream rock radio a couple of years ago.

They recorded the album in their home studio before being signed to Columbia. The CD then went through mastering (and probably re-mixing) before being released.

I think I remember reading that all the electric guitars were recorded direct from a Line6 Vetta.

From their MySpace official webpage:

Featuring ten original tracks, the tightly constructed and aurally dense Crossfade was produced by the band, with post-production wizardry courtesy of Randy Staub, whose credits include Nickelback, P.O.D., The Cult, Monster Magnet, and Metallica, among others.

So anything that happened before post-production wizardry was done at home :) .

• Members

IIRC, the Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams" was recorded in Dave Stewart's makeshift home studio.

I know that Dave Stewart recorded it on a Tascam 38, but didn't know that it was in a home studio. Great sound, wherever it was recorded. 'Course, when you're working with a monster vocalist like her, you could probably record her in a metal shed during a blizzard and it'd sound good.

• Members

What about Boston (More Than A Feeling etc). Many hits have been recorded outside of commercial studios. But usually with the same sort of gear you would expect in a decent studio.

The whole midi thing opened up opportunities for programmers to make music anywhere.

DI guitars can be done almost anywhere, as long as you sort out our power and EMI issues. That's easy done by running off batteries, well away from powerlines (like in the country). I believe Def Leppard tracked a lot of guitar parts with Rockmans back in the day.

I think Cher's I Believe was put together in an early version of Cubase at a guys place.

The definition of what a studio is is probably a bit blurry.

• Members

IIRC, the Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams" was recorded in Dave Stewart's makeshift home studio.

I had read somewhere that it was a warehouse they had rented and the recording was done on an eight track reel to reel. (Most likely the Tascam 38).. The percussion was milk bottles.

• Members

96 Tears by Question Mark and the Mysterions

The record was taped in a converted living room in Bay City, Michigan. The band then had the Texas-based Pa-Go-Go Records press 500 copies so they could distribute them to the DJ's in southern Michigan. The song became the most requested record on WTAC Flint, and KCLW Detroit. Cameo Records, having solvency problems, picked up the record after one of its staffers heard it on CKLW radio.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1796

• Members

k. d. lang recorded two of her big selling CDs in her apartment with a couple of ADATs. Her drummer used her closet as a drum booth, and used a kid's drum kit so it would fit inside the closet.

That sounds really cool. Well, i could do without the ADAT part, but the rest sounds cool! :D

Yup, Les Paul is the grandfather of us all insofar as home recording, and was certainly among the first - if not THE first - to regularly record at home and have huge hits with the recordings.

Bruce Swedien had a home setup in his parent's Minnesota garage back in the 1950's, although I'm not sure if any of the recordings done there ever charted or not. I suppose I could ask him. :idea:

Another arguably "home" studio that stood the world on its collective ear and had HUGE impact belonged to this cat in Detroit named Barry Gordy Jr. Maybe you've heard of him - he started a little label called Motown, and the vast majority of the records released on that label were recorded in his converted house.

BTW, Barry lived upstairs - at least initially. :) Motown also later owned several houses on the street, but it all started in one little Detroit house.

And it wasn't a particularly big room - especially considering it yielded so many monumental hits. :eek:

I am awed by guys like Les and Barry and Bruce; they were real pioneers of home recording and went on to do so well. :thu:

• Members

I don't know what the definition of "hits" is, but I have CD's that I think are great which were recorded largely in home studios. I like singer/songwriter stuff, and don't really care if an artist aspires to the "top of the charts". However, here are two examples.

David Wilcox, "What you Whispered"

The Weepies, "Say I am You".

• Moderators

I know that Dave Stewart recorded it on a Tascam 38, but didn't know that it was in a home studio. Great sound, wherever it was recorded. 'Course, when you're working with a monster vocalist like her, you could probably record her in a metal shed during a blizzard and it'd sound good.

I seem to remember reading that it was a 1" 8-track - definitely not a 38. It was a 3M, I think.

Also, Annie sang the chorus harmonies live, as the mix went down, because they were out of tracks...

Most of "Jagged Little Pill" was cut in the Glen Ballard's home studio - to BF ADATs. Alanis sang in the closet. Probably the biggest hit to come out of working like that.

Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" was mainly tracked in Mike Campbell's garage.

MG

Archived