Talk me into cancelling this order!

GAS Man

• Members

http://www.birdlandmusic.net/product.php?productid=2331

The bugger's website made me think it was in stock. It's pretty much a closeout or blow out price. But I ordered it last Sunday and they haven't sent me any update other than an order confirmation.

I called on Tuesday to ask about the scheduled shipping, and the woman that answered the phone said, "I called ESP and I'm waiting to hear back".

That's all she said. So I said, "so it's not in stock?". and "Are you sure you're going to be able to get it or might it possibly be discontinued?" She said, "Oh no it's still on their price list." :rolleyes:

Well that was 3 days ago with no estimate of availability received 5 days after placing the order.

I think Birdland might be for the birds.

Plus now I think that cheapo Gretsch 5120 might be a better deal anyway.

VOTE!

• Members

I would cancel, to me thats bad customer service all the way around. Leaving you without knowing if the guitar has shipped let alone whether they will get the guitar is unacceptable to me. I would move on.

• Members

That's cool, BH, I'm looking for honesty.

For some odd reason, the smaller sized semi-hollow body with a bigsby AND with a somewhat odd mating of a Jazz and JB pickups peaked my interest.

But if I cancel, then that would help me save up for some variation of the Gretsch 6120 that on my GAS/wish list.

One thing though that you can't see from the pic is the flaming. I know it's a thin maple veneer, but it would probably look a lot better in person. I'll find a pic of the brown sunburst so you can see the flaming better.

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

That's cool, BH, I'm looking for honesty.

For some odd reason, the smaller sized semi-hollow body with a bigsby AND with a somewhat odd mating of a Jazz and JB pickups peaked my interest.

But if I cancel, then that would help me save up for some variation of the Gretsch 6120 that on my GAS/wish list.

One thing though that you can't see from the pic is the flaming. I know it's a thin maple veneer, but it would probably look a lot better in person. I'll find a pic of the brown sunburst so you can see the flaming better.

actually, I thought it was pretty cool. I was just trying to talk you out of it as you asked :)

• Members

In brown:

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/p23914h-50dbb141004cc850ee9484b4764bb3ba.jpg

I think Birdland must be full of bird {censored} any way. The more I google around for this guitar, the more stores I find that now have it as discontinued.

I went looking for the brown one at AMS. That's where I first saw these reduced for sale. And now they have joined the ranks of MF, ZZounds and SameDay Music for no longer having this puppy in stock.

It must have been a weiner instead of a winner. But I do have to admit that ESP still pics it on their website.http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_xtone.html (3rd down)

• Members

Originally posted by ArKay

Other colors which some stores seem to have still in stock for higher prices.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=516695

List: $899.00

Sale Price: $674.99

Blonde & Brown Sunburst

Cool, thanks. For some reason I thought MF had dropped this critter. But the problem I have is that MF charges me 8.3% Sales Tax, so that's a $40 mark up just for the Governor. :mad:

But not a biggy if I decide I really want it.

I'll have to do a Bird call again tomorrow for an update. They're only open til 4PM EST on Saturday, so I'll have to be an "early worm to catch the bird" since that'll be 1 PM my time.

That's got to be one small outfit.

:wave:

P.S. It was good to get to read the 6 or so review MF had posted. They are generally pretty good, but I was particularly interested in the one comment about how the guitar doesn't sound "woody". That seems to be common with these cheaper "semi-hollows". They seem to accomplish the look, but not the tone. But then again, with those pups, I'm not surprised that the tone isn't exactly Gretsch or Gibson. (Or even Artcore for that matter).

• Members

Odd pairing of a JB and a Jazz??? THat is probably the most COMMON pairing of Duncan pups these days. My Fernandes Ravelle has that combo. SD sells them as a set in fact.

I totally dig this guitar though. I'd rather have the cheap Gretsch though. The ESP with those pups is still going to be a hard rock guitar and sound best really dirty.

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

Odd pairing of a JB and a Jazz??? THat is probably the most COMMON pairing of Duncan pups these days. My Fernandes Ravelle has that combo. SD sells them as a set in fact.

I totally dig this guitar though. I'd rather have the cheap Gretsch though. The ESP with those pups is still going to be a hard rock guitar and sound best really dirty.

No, I only meant "odd pairing in a semi-hollow". I agree that it's a common pairing, but you often see it in hard rock and even metal guitars (like the Dave Mustaine model). Semi's tend to usually be equipped with PAF's, Gretsch single-coil-sounding HB's or P-90's, not modern/progressive pickups.

The Jazz/JB combo is definitely part of what intrigued me about this guitar, that is to have "Seymour Duncan's favorite combo" mounted into a semi-hollow with a Bigsby.

• Members

Originally posted by 70 Cam Guy

looks like these guys have the brown in stock

(scroll allll the way down to see)

Thanks!

I'd been on that site several times recently but hadn't noticed that had one there. I like their outdoor pictures. It really gives you a good idea of how the insrument really looks.

Archived