should i be mad

StratAttackJack

• Members

I tend to ramble so i'm gonna try to make this short. I purchased an American Deluxe V -neck strat from GC 3 weeks ago, I managed to get the 1200 asking price down to what the salesman said was 1050 dollars for the guitar. I fell in love with the guitar so I figured a little break was better than none and walked out with it. It wasn't until recently that I looked at the reciept and noticed the case that I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE INCLUDED with the guitar was a 100 bucks. Now are these cases supposed to come free? I didn't even need another one in the first place!

• Members

unless the salesman told you the price he quoted you was without case, what he did was illegal.

The cases are not "free"

They actually are their own item in inventory, have their own UPC codes and are distributed as such.

for example, a guitar with a sitcker price of 1100 dollars will usually read 1000 for the guitar and 100 for the case as far as iventory goes.

Many places can use this fact for nasty tricks.

• Members

nothing to worry about, they HAVE to sell it with the case like that. same thing with my american standard strat. I asked about it. I think its only the ones that come with the hard or tweed cases. They charged me like 80 bucks for the case i think. Its like that everywhere, they didnt try to rip you off or anything. I also bought mine at GC btw.

congrats on the strat.

• Members

Thanks for the input and info guys. I suppose even had I known I had to pay for the case I'd have done it anyways, the guitar plays like a dream! For years I played a MIM and was one of the guys saying there wasn't a major difference between those and the MIA....but HOLY SMOKE was I wrong! I mean I will always love my black MIM dearly - but the american deluxe makes it seem like more of a toy than a musical instrument...

Happy picking!

• Members

Originally posted by Paul Marshall

Congrats

Who would pay $1,200 for a
Fender
though?

;)

there is a difference you know in the top of the line stuff and the squires?

sure, you can find great fenders at lower prices, one of my favorites only cost me $600 and its on par with some of the "high end strats" ive had - so you can find good guitars at lower prices but if you want certain woods/finish/hardware you gotta pay for it

• Members

Originally posted by Paul Marshall

Congrats

Who would pay $1,200 for a
Fender
though?

;)

obviously not a fan huh?? thats ok i wont hate on ya, but i do believe this is the best guitar i've ever played. I tried some nice sounding Gibsons, but my God those are like twice as much!! (and not as comfortable)

• Members

Regardless of whether they must list it as two separate items on the receipt, this particular guitar comes with a case, and is advertised as such on Fender's site.

Any negotiations for this guitar (assuming it was new) should have been understood as "guitar and all accessories including case." As long as you negotiated a total price of 1050 and that's all you paid, then I think it was an honest deal.

• Members

Originally posted by zuzuman

Regardless of whether they must list it as two separate items on the receipt, this particular guitar comes with a case, and is advertised as such on Fender's site.

Any negotiations for this guitar (assuming it was new) should have been understood as "guitar and all accessories including case." As long as you negotiated a total price of 1050 and that's all you paid, then I think it was an honest deal.

+1

If you were charged the agreed upon price including the case, then that's what I would have expected. Now, if you agreed on $1050 and then they rang it up for $1050 + $100 for the case or whatever, then I'd be pissed.

• Members

You didn't notice when he told you the total at the cash register, or when you signed your credit card slip that it was $100 more? If this was the case, I personally think it was your fault as much as anyone.

But if it rang up at the agreed price of $1050 + tax (with the guitar being $950 and the case being $100), then you have no real reason to be pissed. Since they are inventoried different, they may have needed to add it on seperate. Kind of like at Circuit City, where they install software for free, you'll see that your $50 anti-virus will ring up as $20 + $30 install charge. They price adjust the software to make the install free, like they price adjusted the guitar to make the case free. It doesn't mean they'd give you the guitar for $950 sans case, just as Circuit City wouldn't give you the software for $20 without the install.

Anywho, if it was less than 30 days ago, a manager will most likely work with you and credit it back to avoid a customer issue, good luck.

• Members

A new $1200.00 AM Deluxe Fender includes a case anywhere in the US.

GC is notorius for trying to get away without including cases when selling guitars that normally do include cases. It's just one of those negotiating points you have to know before you walk through the door at GC. That said, I've gotten many excellent guitar deals there.

• Members

Originally posted by theaxeripper

You didn't notice when he told you the total at the cash register, or when you signed your credit card slip that it was $100 more? If this was the case, I personally think it was your fault as much as anyone.

But if it rang up at the agreed price of $1050 + tax (with the guitar being $950 and the case being $100), then you have no real reason to be pissed. Since they are inventoried different, they may have needed to add it on seperate. Kind of like at Circuit City, where they install software for free, you'll see that your $50 anti-virus will ring up as $20 + $30 install charge. They price adjust the software to make the install free, like they price adjusted the guitar to make the case free. It doesn't mean they'd give you the guitar for $950 sans case, just as Circuit City wouldn't give you the software for $20 without the install.

Anywho, if it was less than 30 days ago, a manager will most likely work with you and credit it back to avoid a customer issue, good luck.

If you read my post i said nothing about it being $100 dollars more. I merely stated that it showed the case being $100 dollars on the receipt. Meaning the guitar would have only been $950 bucks. When you go to MF the case is "included with the guitar" anyways its a nonissue anymore.

• Members

Every MIA Fender Strat comes with a hardshell case, AT NO EXTRA CHARGE.

If they charged you extra for the case, demand a refund and tell them if you don't get it, you will report them to Fender as this violates their dealer agreement.

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by StratAttackJack

If you read my post i said nothing about it being $100 dollars more. I merely stated that it showed the case being $100 dollars on the receipt. Meaning the guitar would have only been $950 bucks. When you go to MF the case is "included with the guitar" anyways its a nonissue anymore.

I read your post, and judging by the fact everyone else is asking questions, I would consider being a little clearer.

Okay, so the guitar is usually $1200 and includes a case. You got it for $1050, with a case, but the way they rang it up, showed the guitar to be $950 and the case $100. So what? It all adds up to be the same! If they rang up the guitar as $1049.50 and the case for $0.50, it still adds up to the fact that you got a guitar, with a case, for $1050, which is $150 less than asking!

So my anwer is no, you should not be pissed.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

Every MIA Fender Strat comes with a hardshell case, AT NO EXTRA CHARGE.

If they charged you extra for the case, demand a refund and tell them if you don't get it, you will report them to Fender as this violates their dealer agreement.

~Blackbelt

He didn't get charged extra. They agreed on $1050 for the guitar, and they dropped the price another $100 for him so the $100 case would not cost extra (thus, him getting a FREE case).

It's just confusion on how they rung it up on the ticket, but if that's the way they do it to make their inventory easier, so be it.

• Members

I tend to ramble so i'm gonna try to make this short. I purchased an American Deluxe V -neck strat from GC 3 weeks ago, I managed to get the 1200 asking price down to what the salesman said was 1050 dollars for the guitar. I fell in love with the guitar so I figured a little break was better than none and walked out with it. It wasn't until recently that I looked at the reciept and noticed the case that I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE
INCLUDED
with the guitar was a 100 bucks. Now are these cases supposed to come free? I didn't even need another one in the first place!

As a former Guitar Center employee, I can tell you that such is GC's scam. Little secret... Look for "" or "(E)" at the end of the description on the tag. That means it's an "exploded" SKU. What they usually do is sell the guitar for normal price, but they've "exploded" the case out of the package, and they sell it separately. They do the same to drums. Tama and ships them shell packs with no hardware and GC sells those at what appears to be a great price, and then they get you by selling you more expensive hardware since they don't sell hardware for the difference in price between the shell pack and the full kit.

• Members

I tend to ramble so i'm gonna try to make this short. I purchased an American Deluxe V -neck strat from GC 3 weeks ago, I managed to get the 1200 asking price down to what the salesman said was 1050 dollars for the guitar. I fell in love with the guitar so I figured a little break was better than none and walked out with it. It wasn't until recently that I looked at the reciept and noticed the case that I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE
INCLUDED
with the guitar was a 100 bucks. Now are these cases supposed to come free? I didn't even need another one in the first place!

You bought it w/o even asking?:confused: That's weird! And how can you get charged $100 for an item and not even realize it. Were you doped up?

• Members

I had to fight for the price of a PRS years back, then the bastard started fighting with me over the price of the case, which initially was included - but mysteriously wasn't according to the bastard at GC! He basically went back on his word, I probably should have walked but I ended up with the guitar and $100 case. It was an O.K. deal but they are bastards and will try that "used car salesman" type crap on you if they can. I hear they don't get commission at GC, so why would they care??

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by joesl8

I hear they don't get commission at GC, so why would they care??

:confused:

EXTRA EXTRA WRONG

employees have been on comission for nearly 10 years now

Ive got 2 les pauls, a schecter, a telecaster, a tubescreamer, and bunch of other stuff that says GC employees DO work on comission. I'll save it for another thread, but its practicaly comission only.

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

EXTRA EXTRA WRONG

employees have been on comission for nearly 10 years now

Ive got 2 les pauls, a schecter, a telecaster, a tubescreamer, and bunch of other stuff that says GC employees DO work on comission. I'll save it for another thread, but its practicaly comission only.

Let me tell you... The only GC employees that DO NOT work on commission are the people that work the door and the store manager. Everybody else (assistant manager, operations manager, department managers, salespeople) ALL work on commission. If a GC sales guy tells you he doesn't make commission... It's because the commission scale is so ridiculously difficult to actually make any money from.

That's why I left after busting my ass for six months as one of the higher grossing salespeople. I came nowhere near paying my half of the rent and told all my bills to go screw cuz I didn't have ANY money.

• Members

Originally posted by GilmourD

Let me tell you... The only GC employees that DO NOT work on commission are the people that work the door and the store manager. Everybody else (assistant manager, operations manager, department managers, salespeople) ALL work on commission. If a GC sales guy tells you he doesn't make commission... It's because the commission scale is so ridiculously difficult to actually make any money from.

That's why I left after busting my ass for six months as one of the higher grossing salespeople. I came nowhere near paying my half of the rent and told all my bills to go screw cuz I didn't have ANY money.

I figured they didn't because they all seemed to move with the grace of a sloth!? I mean it's like Tia Chi Chuan sales tactics in there. I remember going in one time and this salesguy was just jamming on guitar for over an hour, he was really, really pissed off and pretty much told me why should he bother doing anything cuz it doesn't matter, he'll make sh*t anyway. I can't remember exactly what he said but maybe he was just a lazy sh*t...I don't know, just doesn't seem to be any urgency to sell anything anytime I go in GC?? Did you get some decent discounts working there at least?

• Members

I would have threatned to walk out, and if he didn't sell me it at the price we negeotiated to, I would have actually just left and went to Chuck's. I don't know why I'd be making a big purchase at GC, anyways.

God, I'm so fortunate to have Chuck's within 30 minutes.

Archived