Do you use a sub when mixing?

NS-10's with a sub. I just couldn't get my low-end right without it.

That's because there really isn't much happening below about 100Hz with NS-10's. :)

Back when I was using NS-10's (not out of choice - it just seemed that's about all any studio had for nearfields at the time), I learned to watch the speaker excursion on the woofer to try to gauge what was happening down low. It's less than ideal, but it's surprising how close you can get with that method. :eek::D

A properly calibrated sub would be very useful with NS-10's IMHO.

• Members

That's because there really isn't much happening below about 100Hz with NS-10's.
:)

Back when I was using NS-10's (not out of choice - it just seemed that's about all any studio had for nearfields at the time), I learned to watch the speaker excursion on the woofer to try to gauge what was happening down low. It's less than ideal, but it's surprising how close you can get with that method.
:eek::D

A properly calibrated sub would be very useful with NS-10's IMHO.

No doubt- I remember keeping a close eye on that white cone!

I might be in the market for an alternative pair of monitors someday- just to compare as I'm mixing. Any suggestions (he asked knowingly, awaiting the barrage of recommendations that would flood the post...:lol:)?

• Members

I have Mackie HR824mkII's, which theoretically can get down to 37Hz. But I still use a sub, with the crossover at 65Hz, so it's handling the lowest lows. I have basically two reasons for doing this, which others may disagree with:

- It takes some of the load off of the monitors. Though they can in theory get down to 37Hz, I think it's a bit more theory than fact. And though they are relatively large for near fields, they are still fairly small speakers to try to reproduct down under 40Hz with authority and they probably will do a better job on the frequencies that they can handle well if some of that worst case load it taken off of them. The lower the frequency the more power it sucks up and the bigger the cone displacement required.

- The lowest low frequencies are the hardest to get right in terms of room response. Having a separate sub, which you can place anywhere in the room helps a lot in terms of getting good response at those lowest frequencies. The monitors are pretty fixed as to where they have to go. I found that, even with a good bit of trappage in my room, that I got far and away the best response on those low-lows with the sub closer to the rear of the room and pointed diagonally across the room to the other corner (and 100 degrees out of phase with the speakers.)

I think that this setup provides considerably better results than if I just dependend on the monitors alone. You have to measure carefully and be sure you have the levels set correctly between the two of course. But if they are, then you can get really good low end response and take some load off of the monitors so that they have more power to deal with what's left.

• Members

If you do have smaller speakers and no sub, you should probably at least get very comfortable using a frequency analyzer on your master buss as you get ready for the final mix, and make sure that the response in those frequencies below your speaker's capabiltites don't look out of control. I spend a fair amount of time just pulling commercial CD tracks into SONAR and putting a frequency analyzer on the track and seeing what the spectrum looks like relative to what the track sounds like, so that I can get a feel for what frequency distributions sound like what. Many, many commercial tracks follow a fairly common distribution, often called '6db Down' I think, where the low end will hump up slightly in the bass guitar area, flatten out for a while up to the lower mids, and then start a downward trend at about 6dB/octave. This provides a nice balanced mix. If yours doesn't look that way, you may want to explore why that is.

One thing that I finally figured out after a lot of this kind of thing is that the overall spectrum isn't as important as the ongoing spectrum. You can take one song that is very bright sounding and one song that is fairly laid back. If you take the full spectrum across the whole song in both cases, they may look almost identical. But if you watch them over time, the more laid back one has less high end most of the time, with just occasional peaks that cause the overall spectrum to look like the bright one, whereas the bright one will be high up top the whole time. There might be a single big cymbal splash or a single guitar or synth chord in the whole song that causes it.

Anyway, if you know what a good spectrum looks like, you can get a pretty good feel as to what kind of low-lows you have, even if you can't hear them. You still probably want to verify the mix, but learning to see them might save you a number of iterations back and forth.

• Members

But the point is so that YOU can hear it during the mix, and know what it sounds like down there for people who are listening on good systems. Otherwise, you can have wildly out of whack low end and never know it, so that it sounds horrible on a good system. And you shouldn't assume very few people have a sub. Home theater is very popular these days and they almost always have a sub and lots of people listen to music on them as well. And lots of cars have nice stereos in them with pretty good bass response.

• Members

It's nearly impossible for a consumer to buy a speaker system without a subwoofer these days. Go into any Best Buy or Circuit City (don't buy anything at CC - they will be out of business by this time next year), and all you will see are 2+sub, 5+sub, etc. systems.

This still doesn't dictate that you mix with a subwoofer. It suggests that many of them will have better bass response at home than you do in your studio with NS-01s, Mackies, Adams, or whatever your choice of average monitors is.

For this reason, we all have to consider monitoring with a full-range system. CDs, MP3s, etc., all have response down to 20 Hz or lower, and any professional or critical work must at least be checked on a system that will play that stuff. You can get there by choosing truly full-range speakers, or adding a subwoofer to limited-range speakers.

• Members

And you shouldn't assume very few people have a sub. Home theater is very popular these days and they almost always have a sub and lots of people listen to music on them as well. And lots of cars have nice stereos in them with pretty good bass response.

I couldn't agree more. And even if some people don't have systems that can reproduce it, don't you still want to at least know what is going on in the bottom end?

• Members

We have Event 20/20's as our 5 mains and use the sub mainly during 5.1 project work. Otherwise, for normal stereo projects with stick with the L/R mains. This system in this control room, translates well in the outside world... and that's what it's all about, isn't it!

Blas

• Members

might be in the market for an alternative pair of monitors someday- just to compare as I'm mixing

Budget?

For around $1K, IMO, nothing compares with
ADAM A7's.
But if you get a pair of those, I doubt you'll use them as the
secondary
reference...
;)

The answer is yes- as in "Yes, I'm on a budget":thu:

1K would be doable, though...

I did buy spare tweets and woofers for the ol' NS-10's a couple years ago, but we'll more than likely expand soon to allow for recording/mixing different projects simultaneously, so I'll be in the market for a good new setup.

Thanks!

Archived