The ES335 - are they any good?

HurdyGurdyMan

• Members

Employees at guitar stores often say that the new Gibsons are {censored}ty, low-quality, high-priced turds. But I really want an ES335, and if I spend thousands of dollars on a guitar I want it to be really great. Should I hunt for a vintage ES335, or are the new ones decent?

• Members

I wouldnt say go look for a 50's or 60's 335

but play a bunch of used and new ones and see which ones are best

I mean not ALL Gibsons are {censored}ty and not all are great

just remember, people remember the {censored}ty ones and not the good ones, and thats why you always hear GIBSONS SUCK

its not hard to find a good one, just have patience

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

I have an '04. It's very well made with a great neck and fantastic tone. I bought mine at Wildwood. $2000 plus tax. I think it is one of the few Gibsons worth the $2K + asking price.

estop1.jpg
esrim.jpg
esback.jpg
esside.jpg
esknobs.jpg
estop2.jpg
eshead1.jpg

That guitar is one of the most kickass guitars ever.

{censored}ing beautiful.

• Members

I love my ES-335 that I got in 2005. I had to get it in my favorite color cherry red to match my ES-135, ES-330, and Howard Roberts Fusion that I had before it. It plays wonderful. A quite a bit heavier than the others though.

Gibson_ES335.jpg

Red_guitars.jpg

• Members

335's, like many Gibson guitars, vary in quality throughout the years.

Try as many as you can.

I love 335's.

My favorite 335 that I bought new in the summer of '69.

69ES335TDC.jpg

My 1984 335.........

black335marshall.jpg

My 1987 natural 335........

87Nat335Dot.jpg

• Members

I had one from about 1980 it was very poor quality. I would make sure and play several before you decide to buy one. I don't doubt that most of them are fine, but mine was not and at the time I didn't know any better, but I was sorry after I bought it.

• Members
Originally posted by Bbreaker

335's, like many Gibson guitars, vary in quality throughout the years.

Try as many as you can.

I love 335's.

My favorite 335 that I bought new in the summer of '69.

69ES335TDC.jpg

My 1984 335.........

black335marshall.jpg

My 1987 natural 335.......

87Nat335Dot.jpg

Your 69, like my 66 has that binding bleed. Looks like mine's sister.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

I have an '04. It's very well made with a great neck and fantastic tone. I bought mine at Wildwood. $2000 plus tax. I think it is one of the few Gibsons worth the $2K + asking price.

estop1.jpg
esrim.jpg
esback.jpg
esside.jpg
esknobs.jpg
estop2.jpg
eshead1.jpg

:eek:

BEAUTIFUL MAN.

I want a Gibson Paul Jackson Jr. Signatrure guitar REAL BAD !!!!

(looks just like yours)

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan Trevisol

I have to ask. . . . do the two humbucker models and the two P90 models sound and/or play significantly differently?

They sound signifcantly different. The Howard Roberts Fusion has a completley different body size and different pickups, 490R/490T, and a different type of center wood block, chromyte, and ebony fingerboard, as compared to the ES-335 which has classic '57 pickups, rosewood fingerboard and maple center block. The Howard Roberts Fusion sounds quite a bit jazzier and the ES-335 sounds more bluesier.

As for comparing the 2 single coils, the ES-135 is a semi-hollow body and actually sounds more like the Howard Roberts than it does the ES-330, which is the other P90 single coil guitar. The ES-330 is a true hollow body and has a more resonant sound kind of more acoustic sounding than any of the others of these guitars.

They all play very similar, except the Howard Roberts which has an ebony board that for me plays better. The ES-330 is definately a nice light weight guitar, whereas the ES-335 is the heaviest and weighs almost as much as a Les Paul.

• Members

Most of the 335's and 135's that I played when I was shopping for mine were very well made and showed good attention to detail. They were more consistent in terms of quality and tone than what I found when I was shopping for my Les Pauls. I think it's because of the nature of the laminated tops/sides/backs, and the mahogany necks. Since they are all laminated from the same vaneers (maple and poplar), they are pretty consistent. Also, I didn't see any neck or fret issues at all. Look for a nice dark rosewood board if you can find one. Mine almost looks like ebony. Don't expect to find one much under 9 pounds though.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarlady

I love my ES-335 that I got in 2005. I had to get it in my favorite color cherry red to match my ES-135, ES-330, and Howard Roberts Fusion that I had before it. It plays wonderful. A quite a bit heavier than the others though.

Gibson_ES335.jpg

Red_guitars.jpg

The adoptions papers are in the mail, mom. :)

• Members

Gibson has made improvements to the Historic ES 335 dot which include a 10-15% weight reduction due to making them more like the originals!

For the money you are going to spend, look at the Historic Dot '59 ES 335. They are possibly the best made of any of them.

• Members

Gibson_ES335.jpg

Red_guitars.jpg

good god guitarlady how many great guitars do you have?

i'm like in love:love:

• Members

They sound signifcantly different. The Howard Roberts Fusion has a completley different body size and different pickups, 490R/490T, and a different type of center wood block, chromyte, and ebony fingerboard, as compared to the ES-335 which has classic '57 pickups, rosewood fingerboard and maple center block. The Howard Roberts Fusion sounds quite a bit jazzier and the ES-335 sounds more bluesier.

----

They all play very similar, except the Howard Roberts which has an ebony board that for me plays better.

I agree on your review of the Howard Roberts Fusion. Mine is also jazzier than the ES 335 I had years ago. The tone is deeper and woodier, more like an ES 175, when using the neck pickup. It can still sound somewhat like an ES 335 when using both pickups. And it has a nice fast neck too.

• Members

Originally posted by men's pants

EpiphoneDotBody.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0022.jpg

If you don't feel like you can justify the $2k, go elitist

I have one, and not regretting it at all!
:thu:

Soon as someone evenn hints the presence of some semi-hollow content, he pulls out the elitist..... and so he should!!

• Members

Originally posted by men's pants

If you don't feel like you can justify the $2k, go elitist

I have one, and not regretting it at all!
:thu:

Looks nice, but I'm a total brand whore and I wouldn't spend more than $400 on a guitar made by someone other than Gibson or Fender.

Archived