How does everyone keep from getting burned out?

• Members

How do you guys keep from getting burned out when faced with long sessions, frustrated musicians, etc...?

My brother and I always feel like everything goes smoother whenever we're working with people who can laugh in the studio. Playback of goofy takes can sometimes work miracles.

How do you guys keep it fresh? What's your advice to others for not burning out?

• Members

I'm extremely easy going. Sometimes more than I like (I don't argue enough).

That said if things are getting tense I just take a clip of the vocal reverse that and play it back, usually yields funny results to make people laugh.

• Members

Smoke breaks help. Scheduled lunch and dinner breaks help a lot.

For me, it's a tough gig to burn out on because every session is just different enough to keep it interesting.

I hate to say it, but I've never thought to do scheduled breaks for food. I like the sound of that.

I quit smoking a few months ago though. Occasionally I miss it but I don't get crabby anymore either. Totally off topic, but chantix (the new medication) was invaluable in the quitting process for me (to anyone considering it.....)

I agree with seaneldon said about every session being unique too. Just when I think I know what to expect, a major curve ball comes my way. Keeps the process from becoming stale for sure.

• Moderators

A nice break in the middle of a session can help. We'll stop completely, or sometimes listen to some music that's completely different. Stopping completely is best, tho. Keeping hydrated and fed is VERY important, too.

Also, I've rarely seen anything of any worth get accomplished after about ten hours or so. It starts taking longer, and usually winds up being redone, so it's best if you call it around then.

Sometimes, you've got to just push through that, and I find that some fresh fruit and fresh air help. If you still must keep going after 12-15 hours, a can of Red Bull will give you another 2-3 hours, but you'd better start late the next day...

Like Nero said, you've got to be pretty easy-going and also have a borderline OCD personality to do this job well. If you can't sit at the DAW for 3-4 hours at a pop, editing and mixing, while the band is there acting like drunken monkeys, you may want to consider another line of work.

MG

• Members

I have a simple kitchen timer, set to go off every 2 hours. When it does, everyone takes a break for 10-15 minutes. This is mandatory when working with me, and part of my contract.

That 10-15 minutes adds a good 2 hours to my abilities in a day, and IMHO most musicians as well.

• Moderators

The thing that burns people out is having nothing to do. Rarely does a person who is working on their music, if they are fully engaged, get burned out. It's when they are hanging, drinking, telling stories... then 10 or 12 hours feels long.

But when everybody is focused on what is happening at any given time... they get tired and drained at the end of the day sure. But burnt out? Naw. It's music! It's exciting stuff, or at least it should be.

I also believe in making more work for myself sometimes, in order to facilitate forward motion of the session. Do the drums really need to be comped with the drummer there. Of course not. If he's champing at the bit, comp while he's not around and set up a time for him to review your work and amend it. "I hate that fill, there's a better one on the 3rd take". That stuff is easier for everybody if you don't let others bog you down, and bog themselves down in the process. He doesn't need the reality of comping, nor do you need him second guessing your choices as you feel your way through. Let him pick apart your work and have him save the day later when he points out that better fill on the 3rd pass.

Keep people engaged. Keep things moving... and 10 hours, with a caffeine buzz of course, will feel more like 4 or 5.

• Members

Some of my closest friends did a session with me not long ago. It was nice just to get to see them, but it just so happens that they are a tremendously talented (and original) sounding band. My brother and I recorded them for free (which we never do) and even then a very long weekend session seemed to just fly by.

Working with friends, and especially working with talented musicians keeps even the most grueling session fun and fresh.

P.S. I never meant to imply that recording gets boring. Far from it! For me, though, its dealing with those long nights when it seems like nothing is going your way and the band REALLY wants to finish up by tonight or this weekend or whatever....

I appreciate all the advice like taking scheduled food/rest breaks, etc. I will certainly start doing that from now on! Oh yeah, think I might try mixing topless too....haha

• Moderators

...its dealing with those long nights when it seems like nothing is going your way and the band REALLY wants to finish up by tonight or this weekend or whatever....

And I believe the only solution to that is to take the bull by the horns and guide it home. Not by grandstanding. Not "Follow Moses my people!" But in a sure footed way that says, "Follow me and we'll get out soon enough guys. Let's get it."

Always counter the negative with a positive. Counter "I'm never going to nail this part" with "What are you talking about, you got it dude. It's sounding great! Here we go..."

If the wheels are spinning in the mud, be smart enough, and confident enough to put the brakes on and move on in a positive way. "That's sounding awesome. Let's take all these ideas and nail it fresh tomorrow. Great work. Hey Bob, you ready for some bass?"

• Members

Heroin works wonders...

Sometimes I threaten suicide if the band screws up again...

I have found crying to be very effective.

:lol: That's some funny {censored} right there.

I also schedule for breaks and food. Sometimes it really helps to just get away from it for a few minutes. If that doesn't do it there is always the aforementioned crying. I prefer to do mine in the corner in the fetal position. :thu:

Mike

• Members

And I believe the only solution to that is to take the bull by the horns and guide it home. Not by grandstanding. Not "Follow Moses my people!" But in a sure footed way that says, "Follow me and we'll get out soon enough guys. Let's get it."

Always
counter the negative with a positive. Counter "I'm
never
going to nail this part" with "What are you talking about, you got it dude. It's sounding great! Here we go..."

If the wheels are spinning in the mud, be smart enough, and confident enough to put the brakes on and move on in a positive way. "That's sounding awesome. Let's take all these ideas and nail it fresh tomorrow. Great work. Hey Bob, you ready for some bass?"

Excellent suggestions Lee- it's kind of like "Columbo" in a way- he said something like "a crook commits a crime once or twice- I solve them for living". Bands don't record all the time, but we engineers do- for a living- and I usually don't have much of an issue if I make suggestions like you've listed here. I little encouragement can go a long way.

Who's Bob?;)

• Members

You must have attended a session of mine in Milwaukee!

Ha! That would be the home all things polka.

Man, I'm feeling burnt out about now. The last two days I pick up the guitar but I don't end up playing long because I feel...burnt out I guess. How do I cure this? I want to play damnit, but I can't.

Walk away from it- do something different- get a good night's sleep- you'll be alright...

Archived