Productions, engineers etc... who prefer the D112?

• Members

I used one on a recording session about 5 years ago on a small bass guitar combo amp and still think it was the best sound I've ever gotten. Very punchy and round.

We used it inside the kick as well and again very punchy. Lots of thump/impact sound. It sounded "normal" to my ears. Maybe not special, but normal. I've been doing everything electronic or direct lately but I remember thinking it would have been nice to have a second kick drum mic added for more low freq. Probably something outside the kick. The D112 was great for the attack.

I don't currently have one but want to have one for that type of sound again. I think it depends on where you put it and what sound you are looking for.

• Members

I own one and don't care for the sound. It gives me more bottom end than I need, and it also has an odd midrange quality that makes kick drums sound like a bouncing basketball. I'm currently using it in my rehearsal studio to mic the kick drum and send it through the PA, and that's not a bad application. For some reason, I think it sounds better for live applications.

• Members

Yes, the taste is what it is. I happen to like the "basketball" which to me is a nice attack and thump that cuts through on a heavy rock mix.

Which would suck if you were doing Jazz or Country!

I think of the D112 as a P-Bass sound instead of a Jazz Bass. Cause I'm crazy like that and make strange associations in my head.

• Members

Yeah it's not my favorite sound either - my favorite mic for kick is an RE20, though lately I'm quite in love with the Heil PR40 which sounds quite similar for a lot cheaper. It still cuts through the mix great without sounding like a basketball. :) In other words still has midrange bite but it's obviously in a different frequency range than the D112.

• Members

Well F' me. I did a session today where I placed the mic just inside the port hole off axis towards the beater and it sounded great! I also used a sm57 right up on the beater as well, but surprisingly I scored a sound that is totally usable. :)

Maybe I will hold onto this mic.

• Members

Yeah, I totally dig the sound of a D112 blended with a 57 up close on the beater. The 57 adds just the right mid range to sound. But I don't get the basketball comments, I don't hear that at all. Usually when I have issues with D112 its that its so bottom ended that the bass drum tends to get buried in mix. I think it really depends on the what you need in the mix.

• Moderators

The D112 is fine if that's the sound that's needed. It's got scoop. Sometimes it's the wrong scoop though. That's why like Lee Flier above, I like an RE20 or other flat dynamic. An RE20 sounds a little too middy for kick out of the box but this allows you to scoop any way you want.

The same holds true for the D6. It sounds great. If... that's the sound you want. But it is impossible to "back out" of a curve like that. So I'll stick with the RE20 and do the sculpting myself. This pretty much gives me any kick sound I want short of a 47.

I own one and don't care for the sound. It gives me more bottom end than I need, and it also has an odd midrange quality that makes kick drums sound like a bouncing basketball.

It's not the bottom that sounds like a basketball, it's the ping, click or attack. I have never been a big D112 fan. YMMV, but I'd rather use an RE20, or a AT250, ATM25, D6...

The D12, OTOH, is a whole 'nuther mike, and I think AKG took a big step backwards with the D112.

• Members

Yeah, it might be the high mids and not simply the midrange that gives it that basketball-like sound. Whatever it is, it's not the sound I'm going after. But like I said, there's plenty of recordings I've heard with a D112 where someone got a really good kick sound, so I'm not here to dissuade anyone, especially if they're gettin' it done with a D112!!!

• Members

Yeah it's not my favorite sound either - my favorite mic for kick is an RE20, though lately I'm quite in love with the Heil PR40 which sounds quite similar for a lot cheaper. It still cuts through the mix great without sounding like a basketball.
:)
In other words still has midrange bite but it's obviously in a different frequency range than the D112.

Lee... that's really interesting.

I recently did a kick drum mic comparison test with an Audix D6, a D112 and an RE20 and we simply could not get a good kick sound out of the RE20.

We were using a 22" Yamaha studio kit with a hole in the front head and no matter where I put the RE20 is just sounded like crap..

The D112 sounded good, but the best sound we got was with the D6 placed clear inside the drum to about two inches from the beater head. Very nice attack and lots of good fundamental.

I admit I was surprised at the poor performance of my RE20 since many folks swear by it on kick.

• Members

Back in the traveling days my drummer always used a D112 on his kick. It's great for live; that big deep thump through the mains. He used it recording as well and it works if placed and eq'ed properly. Wish I could try some of the other mics mentioned for comparison.

• Members

anyone use condensors at all? a few months back i put an AT3035 (with the -10 pad on) inside the port hole and i put a D6 on the beater side and i got a pretty good sound, the 3035 made it sound a lot more natural to me but it still had some attack. about a month after that i bough an MD421 and replaced the 3035 with it on a recording and i think i like the 3035 better

The closest Soundelux / Bock Audio mike that is still in production would be the U195, which is nice on kick. Unfortunately, Bock isn't making the iFET7 (a dual voiced, U87 / U47FET mike in a U47FET type case) at the moment... :(

As far as Lawson, IIRC, they still make a variety of 47'ish mikes, including a FET version.

I dunno if Peluso makes a FET type 47. :idk: They do make tube mikes in the tube U47 vein.

• Members

Beyer m88 microphone reproduces the complex sound patterns of the kick drum, resulting in a tight "thump" without the need for complex signal processing. No nasil mids beautiful right out of the box..

Archived