12 string electrics?

jrm27

• Members

Hey everyone:

The band I'm in is writing some more songs where it might be fun to have a 12 string in the arsenel. Can anyone reccomend me a decntly priced 12 string?

Has anyone every built one from parts bought from Warmoth? Or something similar? Just wondering how they turned out!

-jon-

• Members

A serious consideration with 12-strings is the string spacing. I tried the Fender XII and while I loved the sound, it felt really cramped because it's the same with as a traditional strat neck. Some can deal with that fine, but I gots me some stubby little fingers.

I tried a Schecter CSH-12 (a GC exclusive, apparently) and found the string spacing to be much more to my liking. It also has a nice variety of tones, what with the coil-splitting and whatnot.

• Members
Originally posted by mattburnside

A serious consideration with 12-strings is the string spacing. I tried the Fender XII and while I loved the sound, it felt really cramped because it's the same with as a traditional strat neck. Some can deal with that fine, but I gots me some stubby little fingers.

I tried a Schecter CSH-12 (a GC exclusive, apparently) and found the string spacing to be much more to my liking. It also has a nice variety of tones, what with the coil-splitting and whatnot.

I have this 80's MIJ Strat 12. It's a fun guitar, I've used it for recording and jamming. But the somewhat cramped string spacing does make it a bit challenging to play and if I were to buy another 12 string electric I'd go for a humbucker model, I think the single coils lack presence when I'm jamming with this guitar.

Strat12.jpg

Archived