SM7b & DMP3

• Members

After some research I think the SM7b to be a wise purchase. I live in a apartment and will track vocals and elec. gtrs. I like the idea I won't be picking up as much room noise as I would with a LDC. Just have an old Mackie 1202 and thought I would pick up a DMP3 to go into my Echo Gina card and monitor with the Mackie. Used to have FMR RNP & RNC and will eventually buy them again. I just wondered what others thought of my plan. I could buy the DMP3 and SM7b over a two month period, followed by the RNC. Just getting back to writing so will probably be doing a lot of scratch tracks over the next several months. Any thoughts?

• Members

SM7b needs a lot of gain and to be honest as much as i like it, its not taht much better on my voice and an SM57.

that's bad news, I don't like the SM57 for my vocals. I actually preferred the Sennheiser e835 over the SM58 as well.

• Members

I'm wondering if that would be any better than the pre's on the Mackie that you already have. I kind of doubt it, but that's just a guess.

Well now I'm really confused. Just got an email from a friend in Portland that has a professional recording studio. I asked about the SM7b and mentioned the DMP3 and RNP. Heres what he said

"The SM7b is the secret weapon for modern sounding rock vox. You will not be disappointed. I would also look at Universal Audio, their solo 610 is awesome and with an SM7b gives top tier sound. About as good a combination as it gets in my book for around a grand. I see both on e-bay and Craigs list. Also works well miking Gtr Amps."

I am thinking now of the 610, need to research it. Way more money but it may be worth it. Thanks for all the help.

• Members

I've never used the two side by side, but I would think that the SM7 would be a bit bigger sounding, rounder, smoother, all that. But that said, I like the 57 for vocals a lot of times. Not for every voice, obviously, but it sounds good on a lot of voices.

• Members
I am thinking now of the 610, need to research it. Way more money but it may be worth it.

Or the RNP which you said you might get again. The point is why waste your money on a cheap sub par preamp when you already have a Mackie which pre's are most likely better than the DMP3 and use that money toward a preamp that's worth while. Besides the UA 610 which is very nice, there are plenty of choices out there like the Grace 101 for instance. Anyway, good luck and shop smart and don't forget this advice , "buy cheap buy twice."

I agree with Alndln... why not just save up for what you really want? You can use the Mackie preamps in the meantime, and I really don't feel you'd be taking a significant step upwards with the DMP3.

The FMR RNP is one of those products that, regardless of what you get later, you'll always value and be able to use it. Over the long term, that's value, even if it costs a bit more, or take a bit longer to save up for.

As far as the SM7b, they're good mikes, and your buddy is correct - they do get used fairly often for rock vocals by some people. The bigger question - will it work well for your voice? - well, I can't really answer that for you. It depends on your voice, the type of music you do and the sound you're going for... all sorts of variables that I don't know.

The issue of isolating the mic from the sound of the room can be handled by all sorts of methods; some cost next to nothing. I personally wouldn't let that issue sway me from using a condenser mic if I felt it was the right match for the voice.

• Members

Or the RNP which you said you might get again. The point is why waste your money on a cheap sub par preamp when you already have a Mackie which pre's are most likely better than the DMP3 and use that money toward a preamp that's worth while. Besides the UA 610 which is very nice, there are plenty of choices out there like the Grace 101 for instance. Anyway, good luck and shop smart and don't forget this advice ,
"buy cheap buy twice."

Thanks, my head is spinning since this post Ive also posted at Gearslutz where it lead me on a journey of researching more preamps. BLA Auteur, Daking, ART MPA Gold, Grace(which I already knew about). Many conflicting opinions there. The DMP3 seems to get more love there. I know for a fact this 1'st generation 1202 is noisy. I don't think anyone would diss the Green River, who knows. The fact I'm not in the same league as many here. A home studio and a desire to get decent recording to share my songs with family and friends. I'm being realistic where I sit in food chain. $1000.00+ pres seem out of reach. I found that the FMR boxes along with a 300 SE tube mic worked well for me. When I thought the SE was broke(short in it's special cord). I used a 100 dollar Sennheiser dynamic mic and even the MXL 990.

When I discovered the SE's problem, I still kept the tracks I did with those cheap mic, mainly because of the performance. BTW where would I be buying cheap TWICE?

• Members

I agree with Alndln... why not just save up for what you really want? You can use the Mackie preamps in the meantime, and I really don't feel you'd be taking a significant step upwards with the DMP3.

The FMR RNP is one of those products that, regardless of what you get later, you'll always value and be able to use it. Over the long term, that's value, even if it costs a bit more, or take a bit longer to save up for.

As far as the SM7b, they're good mikes, and your buddy is correct - they do get used fairly often for rock vocals by some people. The bigger question - will it work well for your voice? - well, I can't really answer that for you. It depends on your voice, the type of music you do and the sound you're going for... all sorts of variables that I don't know.

The issue of isolating the mic from the sound of the room can be handled by all sorts of methods; some cost next to nothing. I personally wouldn't let that issue sway me from using a condenser mic if I felt it was the right match for the voice.

Thanks, I am aware that the SM7b may not be great for my voice, I would need a preamp with enough gain to audition it. Really wondering if my 1202 would cut it. I could always exchange the mic. For vox my singing voice covers a wide sonic range. From baritone into tenor and falsetto. David Gahan-Joe Cocker-Al Green-Beatles-James Taylor etc. Not higher screaming Robert Plant. but forceful blues rock. I also have some female vox to work with as well. What other mic might you recommend? As far as what I could do as far as my room it would be interesting to see if it was doable where I live.

• Members

The $159.00 M-Audio DMP3. The Mackie you already have is either better or just as good until you can afford a preamp that's worthwhile.

Well it is too late my friend already ordered the DMP3. I'll be able to judge if it is a .PO.S. His little Soundcraft compact 4 is breaking down and he didn't want to buy another mixer. He plans on using the preamp into his sound card and monitor with the Soundcraft. Another pal of mine gave me some good insight.

It's what is in front of the mic that really counts. Not to get so obsessed with gear, work with what I have and practice. I plan on buying a new mic, one I can return if it doesn't work for me. I really appreciate everyone's perspective

and sometimes need to return to Mother Earth.

It's what is in front of the mic that really counts. Not to get so obsessed with gear, work with what I have and practice.

Far be it from me to suggest that gear doesn't matter - IMO, it definitely does. However, there is much wisdom in your friend's advice. It IS what's in front of the mic that matters most IMO - that, and the song / material.

• Members

It's what is in front of the mic that really counts. Not to get so obsessed with gear, work with what I have and practice.

Far be it from me to suggest that gear doesn't matter - IMO, it definitely does. However, there is much wisdom in your friend's advice. It IS what's in front of the mic that matters most IMO - that, and the song / material.

Yeah it is easy for him to tell me this. especially when you look at his mic locker.

besides that, great pres and converters. I feel that it is OK to want better gear until the obsession gets in the way of writing good music

• Members

www.myspace.com/plastictoys

All vocals recorded with an SM7B into a Sebatron Pre-amp. Might give you an idea of its sound.

Cool Vid, so the mics shown were props? The Sebatron probably fit highly into the equation? I contacted Warren at ZenProAudio. He has a great deal on the SM7b($299.00). He however recommended the Heil PR-40 as he states it has a more open detailed sound, whereas the Sm7b more smooth. It is just a tad more money. I dunno I will probably ask if there is a return policy. At least with the Heil, it won't be so gain hungry. I still have to consider a nice preamp, so will have to work with what I have until then. borrow from friends if necessary.

Thanks all for the replies.

Archived