VOX Pathfinder opinions?

burton4snow

• Members

I used to have the Vox Pathfinder 15r, used it with my PodXTLive and they paired up great. I think it's got an incredible sounding clean channel, one of the best i've heard in a solid state amp. The voicing is a little dark, but with a little tweaking you can get it to suit your tastes.

• Members

Originally posted by burton4snow

Looking for a small amp around this price range to plug a Pandora PX4D into. Is this the amp for me?
:confused:

Great cleans, nice overdrive. Distortion was a little farty...not very convincing. Great practice amp.

• Members

Originally posted by burton4snow

Guitar Center has a Vox Pathfinder w/o reverb for $70. This should work if I'm using the Pandora, shouldn't it! Or is this a completely different amp altogether.

if your pandora has reverb then you'll essentially have the same thing as the 15r...as far as i know they're the same model amp just one has reverb and the other doesn't.

i say go for it, especially since it's from guitar center. if you don't like it you can return it within 30 days (just keep the packaging) :thu:

• Members

If you are using the distortion from something else,it should be ok. All the little 15 watts Voxes are loud and punchy for their size. If you want to use the amp's overdrive,I'd avoid it. It is really bad,especially in comparison to the other small 15 watt Voxes,AD15,VR15,and definitely the Cambridge 15.

• Members

I've got 2 of them. One has reverb the other doesn't. (Same with my 2 Fender Frontman's) They are great for echo-ey rooms with lots of glass and bare concrete walls. The rock and roller's nightmare of a "live" room. I use my Pathfinders for stereo from my DigiDelay 2 outputs. I like a single 1/4 note slap in a ping pong stereo and the 2 amps spread out give the tone a bit more depth. They are cheap used and that's how I buy them.

I've got 3 BIG Marshalls for other venues but those little practice amps are fun in small, bad sounding rooms.

And they are easy to pack around.

I also like the direct out, that comes with the pf's.

Frontman's don't have it.

• Members

I'll echo some of the other comments. I have a Pathfinder 10 (the $70 model without reverb). Its cleans are really nice--really remarkably good, given the low price and small speaker. The overdrive, well, ugh. Fizzy, fuzzy, and artificial-sounding.

I haven't tried it with pedals, so I can't speak to how it takes overdrive from other sources.

• Members

Yeah, Burton,

I agree with the comments above.

My pathfinder which I love is the model without the reverb. I have a teensy Vox 9volt microamp, and it sounded so good, that when one day I saw a MF sale on the Pathfinder without reverb for 80 bucks, I decided I had to see what that would sound like. I wasn't disappointed.

I already had a Boss RV-3 pedal for reverb, plus a Peavey Profex, so having good quality reverb to add to the Pathfinder made it "no problema".

I've been tempted to add a 15R, for a more complete compact package, (in case I wanted to travel with one and not drag along a reverb pedal) and I thought it would be great to use as B.C. Bud stated above, for a stereo rig.

And as stated before, it's own distortion is not that great. It's the cleans where it rules. But it's own distortions are still amusing cuz they crank out lots of over the top harmonics when the gain is maxed and the "push" button is kicked in.

I've used a Tube screamer in front of mine with good results for an overdrive tone.

Right now it's my bedroom amp. I'm using a Digiverb for a lush church ambient reverb at this moment. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by jeffcoop

I'll echo some of the other comments. I have a Pathfinder 10 (the $70 model without reverb). Its cleans are really nice--really remarkably good, given the low price and small speaker. The overdrive, well, ugh. Fizzy, fuzzy, and artificial-sounding.

I haven't tried it with pedals, so I can't speak to how it takes overdrive from other sources.

I have the Pathfinder 10 also and agree with the above statements. A multi FX pedal works great with it and allows me to get some reverb on my cleans also.

100_2409.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by dwerlin

I used to have the Vox Pathfinder 15r, used it with my PodXTLive and they paired up great. I think it's got an incredible sounding clean channel, one of the best i've heard in a solid state amp. The voicing is a little dark, but with a little tweaking you can get it to suit your tastes.

Heh...

Me too w/o the "r". They do work great together and make for a nice easy-to-schlep-around rig.

Archived