Cubase 5 or Pro Tools M Powered 8 ????

With 48 mono or stereo tracks available standard for Pro Tools LE / M-Powered 8 (and that can be increased via the optional Music Production Toolkit 2), is the track count issue really that big a deal to most people anymore? :confused::facepalm:

As far as "which is best", there's no right or wrong answer to that. Both are good programs, and can give you great results if you do your part. Depending on what type of work you think you'll primarily be doing, one may be a better fit for you over the other... or not. But we'd really need to know more about what you want to accomplish, what types of things you'll be focusing on, and how you prefer to work in order to answer those sorts of questions.

• Members

I have used Cubase SX3 for a long time, primarily I record live bands and also use a few vst instruments and drum samplers for home recording.

I have used Wavelab 5 to master my mixes also.

I am thinking of either upgrading to Cubase 5 or switching to Pro Tools.

I have used Pro Tools but I still cannot decide which would give me the better result for my needs.

• Members

I have used Cubase SX3 for a long time, primarily I record live bands and also use a few vst instruments and drum samplers for home recording.

I have used Wavelab 5 to master my mixes also.

I am thinking of either upgrading to Cubase 5 or switching to Pro Tools.

I have used Pro Tools but I still cannot decide which would give me the better result for my needs.

If your not concerned about PT compatibility and you know Cubase then why change? Is Cubase not giving you the results you need?

• Members

With 48 mono or stereo tracks available standard for Pro Tools LE / M-Powered 8 (and that can be increased via the optional Music Production Toolkit 2), is the track count issue
really
that big a deal to most people anymore?
:confused::facepalm:

As far as "which is best", there's no right or wrong answer to that. Both are good programs, and can give you great results if you do your part. Depending on what type of work you think you'll primarily be doing, one may be a better fit for you over the other... or not. But we'd really need to know more about what you want to accomplish, what types of things you'll be focusing on, and how you prefer to work in order to answer those sorts of questions.

Most of the time with questions like the OP's my answer is "whatever works". But honestly with all the features that the full version of cubase has over pro tools LE and m powered it's hard to answer that way.

Now if the question was cubase 5 or pro tools 8 HD. Then hands down the answer would be HD. :lol:

• Members

What are you needs? Yes, I know, recording and mastering music, but in more detail, what are your needs? Does Cubase meet your needs currently? If not, why?

• Members

Cubase sx3 has been great, I have some vst which I really like; I am just thinking about moving on, and If its worth changing. I'm not looking for a change for any particular reason other than that.

I have checked out some of the new features in Cubase 5 which sound cool and I suppose the upgrade price to Cubase 5 is cheaper than switching to Pro Tools.

Just wanted to know if anyone would give me any solid reasons for picking one over the other.

• Members

Some solid honest reasons I would personally in this situation go with C5 over MP8:

Cubase is cheaper as you said.

You have been using it, the differences between C5 and Sx3 are pretty minimal.

Pro Tools M powered is limited in that there is no latency compensation like there is in cubase (there is a plug in though).

Your limited in your track count, this usually isn't an issue but hey you never know.

There are almost no free RTAS plug ins (some, but no where near the magnatude of free VST plugs)

To run your VST plugs you need a wrapper and it costs $100. On top of that, not all plugins wrap well.

Although I would arguably say that pro tools is a better editor (well, better meaning faster), cubase is still better at midi (again IMO).

I personally like the export options in cubase 5 A LOT better than pro tools LE8.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

• Members

Hem track count... I spent most of my studio days making +40track projects with tones of content. As a musician i went in a studio where the engineer requested we do things more live. Around 30 or less audio tracks and the results are amazing. Simon says Protools its just better but if u want to write and compose its not that big a deal anymore as protols 8 catters for such

• Members

Actually the wrapper (when it works) sounds fine. I just had a handfull of plug ins that would not wrap. Sir 2 wrapped but was glitchy as heck, none of the stienberg plugins would wrap either. Not that that was a huge deal though.

BTW: The new plug ins in cubase 5 are KILLER.

I do have quite a lot of VST plugins and the thing about the wrapper does not sound great. If there is no improvement in using ProTools M Powered overall then I might as well upgrade to Cubase 5 and Wavelab 6.

If you've already been using Cubase, there's really no reason to move to something else - unless you have a reason for wanting to move to something else. :) It's a great program.

Moving to "something else" is something I've only done a few times - at least as far as my "primary" software goes. I've tended to stick with one program as a main app for years at a time; but only diving in and making that commitment after a lot of research - including hands-on use whenever possible. In the past decade, I switched from Logic to Pro Tools, but also learned to get around in other programs such as Cubase, Sonar and Vegas. I normally wouldn't recommend that to the casual recordist. IMO, if you have limited time, that time might be better spent mastering whatever program you normally use. But if you're a working engineer or aspiring to that, then learning other programs may come in handy at some point. You might have to open a song in one program so you can consolidate things and export files. And sometimes, you may find you prefer doing certain tasks in one program over another. For years, I used to use Logic and Pro Tools; one primarily for MIDI, the other for audio. Today, you can do both with either program, but the principle still applies for some tasks IMO. Which features work best, and what tasks are easiest in which program is usually a preference and judgment call, and none of us are ever in 100% agreement on that stuff... ;)

Archived