Question on constructing a studio...

• Members

This definitely goes out to Phil, since I know he has done what I am going to attempt to do (albeit on a larger scale)...

This summer I am going to try to convert my double garage into a recording studio. My goal for the next few months is just to do a ton of research and try to plan everything out the best I can.

My question is: what are some good resources for me to check out about building studios/acoustics/etc.? I've been looking at a few books on Amazon, but I want to get as much advice as possible. Thanks!

I have several of F. Alton Everest's books - all are great! The ones I would recommend that you should definitely read would include "Sound Studio Construction on a Budget", "Master Handbook Of Acoustics", and "How to Build a Small Budget Recording Studio from Scratch With 12 Tested Designs".

John Sayers' forums have a ton of great information on them:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

You should also check Ethan Winer's forum over on Musicplayer:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/24/1/Ethan_Winer_Acoustics_Forum

There's a lot of good information in the Auralex "Acoustics 101" PDF file - they also have it up on a website too:

http://www.acoustics101.com/

Of course, you can also ask questions and seek advice right here in The Trenches too . ;)

• Members
This summer I am going to try to convert my double garage into a recording studio. My goal for the next few months is just to do a ton of research and try to plan everything out the best I can.

I'll soon be doing the same. Myself and the soon to be Mrs Cheeze entered escrow on this house on Saturday so I'll be moving my studio. I have a first draft done. Subject to change. The garage already has two rooms added to the rear. One is a laundry room, the other will be a small control room. Once started I hope to do a build thread here and get advice as I stumble along. :)

• Members
One question though, what are your plans with the garage door and the tracks? I'm assuming the door will become inoperable?

Yeah, the tracks and wut not are going to have to go. I was hoping I wouldn't have to build permanent walls like that, but I've got barking dogs to the rear and the side. :mad:

• Members

Yeah, the tracks and wut not are going to have to go. I was hoping I wouldn't have to build permanent walls like that, but I've got barking dogs to the rear and the side.
:mad:

I see. So you'll leave the door, but just secure it and essentially turn it into a wall? It looks like this is the direction I'm headed.

• Members
I see. So you'll leave the door, but just secure it and essentially turn it into a wall?

It will be there in "dummy" form, but it won't be turned into a wall as such. Maybe you could call it an outside wall, but another separate wall will be built just inside of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This definitely goes out to Phil, since I know he has done what I am going to attempt to do (albeit on a larger scale)...

My question is: what are some good resources for me to check out about building studios/acoustics/etc.? I've been looking at a few books on Amazon, but I want to get as much advice as possible. Thanks!

Is your goal really worth the money? a decent computer with lotz of pro-software, some good speakers, can deliver you a lot.

• Members

Is your goal really worth the money? a decent computer with lotz of pro-software, some good speakers, can deliver you a lot.

in my opinion, yes it is worth it.

i already have all the things you mentioned, but none of them address the issue of me having to record guitar/vocals in the same room as my computer and speakers. also soundproofing is a big issue. i want to crank my amp and not disturb my wife or the rest of the neighborhood.

Assuming you never need to use a microphone for anything, then maybe you can get away with that... but you'd still likely have acoustic related issues in terms of your monitoring environment. Stick a pair of speakers - any speakers (your choice), no matter how good - into a empty 10' X 10' X 10' concrete room, and try to get an "honest" mix out of them that translates well.

Speakers are only one component of the monitoring chain. The other elements are important too - especially the acoustics of the room they're sitting in.

• Moderators

Thanks guys! Just what I was looking for. And jackcheez, definitely keep us updated on your build! Looks like it will be very nice!

One question though, what are your plans with the garage door and the tracks? I'm assuming the door will become inoperable?

What I did...

I built in a two car garage and left the garage doors intact. And I left just enough space for them to open. This gives me a garage. A very small garage. 5' deep. Then I built a room within room studio. Accessed through the house via the door that used to go from family room to garage. Now it's family room to studio. That door I had a finish carpentry friend build a double solid door sound lock all in the single door frame. Works great. I make noise with the fam 10 feet away and they never hear.

I use the big living room as a live tracking room on scheduled, family away, days.

But the point being, you need a place for your bikes, your mower and rakes, your tools. I just don't need a whole garage for that. And we part in the driveway. "Sorry about your brand new car, honey. Buy a car cover. Kay?" :)

The garage door works and opens to a very efficient storage space that holds about as much stuff as any garage if you were also parking cars in it. Which we're obviously not.

• Members

I built my studio in my garage also.

I took the steel garage door rails and rollers off and permanently attached the garage door to the surrounding frame.

I then cut one four foot section and hinged it to make a 48" "people" door. I framed and insulated behind the garage door and came in an inch and built another wall on 2 X 6 plate.

With the people door closed, it looks like a standard double door garage from the outside. I left 7 1/2 feet of garage on the side with the door so I can get my motorcycle into the garage. Still left me an 18 by 26 foot studio with 10 foot high ceilings.

I'm still waiting for someone to try and break in by lifting that garage door up...

I'll soon be doing the same. Myself and the soon to be Mrs Cheeze entered escrow on this house on Saturday so I'll be moving my studio. I have a first draft done. Subject to change. The garage already has two rooms added to the rear. One is a laundry room, the other will be a small control room. Once started I hope to do a build thread here and get advice as I stumble along.
:)

Detached garage FTW! :phil:

How high are the ceilings inside the garage? Any rafters? Are the interior walls "open" and unfinished, or is there sheet rock inside? Got any plans / overhead drawings of the garage and attached rooms?

Archived