Jack Puig tonight

• Members

My son and I are going to see Jack Puig at Sweetwater tonight, and the funny part is that I almost had to miss it because I had to finish mixing a CD. Is that technically "ironic"? :)

I gotta admit, I'm not as familiar with some of the newer music he's done, but the stuff like Tonic, Talk Show, and The Grays- I just love the tones...

I really admire JJP's work a lot - especially some of the rock stuff he's done. The stuff he did with Jellyfish is, IMHO, as good as it gets. Spilt Milk is one of my ten favorite records of all time.

Have a great time and please let us know how it went / what he talked about! :wave:

• Members

Well- here's my report from a very enjoyable evening at Sweetwater:

As you may know, JJP has developed some really interesting plug-ins with Waves, and was just tickled with how they came out. He took some less-than-stellar (tone-wise, that is) vocal takes from Mick J., Lady Gaga, Bono, etc... and demonstrated how his new plug-ins affected each one. You gotta love a slider that's labeled "Magic"! It was a great demonstration by a great producer.

Then, he and Mitch Gallagher sat down (in the comfy chairs) and talked about Jack's philosophy of music, production, and "chasing the song". After that they opened it up for Q&A. Now, I'm no genius, but when you have an opportunity to ask JJP questions about music, you really shouldn't worry about questions like "will these plug-ins work with Reason?", or, "Can we get these for Windows?".

But Jack was very gracious with everyone, and yes- the topic eventually turned to Spilt Milk and Ro Shambo!

The real kicker for us was after the presentation, when my precocious friend Anthony actually got Jack to listen to the stuff we were mixing that very day! Talk about nervous- I walked back into the theater, and there's Mitch looking at Anthony and Jack, and they're both fishing around for some headphones. They then popped the disc into the CD player and Jack stood there and listened to about a minute or so of one song. I'm now feeling like a chef looking on while somebody licks the spoon and ponders...

He was so cool- he told my friend how everything's sitting nice- bass is right there, kick and snare in the good space, vocals (he made the "hand-cage in front of your nose" motion) nice and fat. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and then Anthony asked him what he would do for that song. "Here it comes", thought I, but he stood there kind of shaking his head a bit and said, "I really couldn't give you an answer to that- pick any mix guy or producer and it's gonna sound like me, or Brenden (O'Brian), or (pointing to me) him". Wow- I had to think to myself: "How many of us would have started right in and began a critique of the mix" (I probably would have!)- but he didn't. So cool.

My son Aaron asked him a few questions about John Mayer's production, and told him how much he totally loved The Grays- Jack just kept talking with us like he wasn't in any hurry at all to get out of there. Got into the different aspects of the 60's, 70's, etc... and how each era has its own characteristics. Tonic Lemon Parade- an example of 'chasing the song' and simply going for it, etc...

He is a really nice guy- and the whole experience made me appreciate again what a great business this is and how blessed anyone is to be able to do this for a living.

And one more time- those new plug-ins are really cool...

BTW, the younger version of me on the right is my son.:)

• Members

Well- here's my report from a very enjoyable evening at Sweetwater:

As you may know, JJP has developed some really interesting plug-ins with Waves, and was just tickled with how they came out.

So I'm guessing that quite a bit of the presentation was him selling people on wavs plugs? It would make a lot of sense since it was held at sweetwater.

• Members

So I'm guessing that quite a bit of the presentation was him selling people on wavs plugs? It would make a lot of sense since it was held at sweetwater.

Well, the first 1/3 was- and it was the demonstration of how they actually worked that made it less of a 'sales pitch'. You could really hear the vocal getting more juicy and getting more 'tude- all with just one fader move.

When you really believe that your product is gonna deliver the goods...

When he was talking about the plug-in suite, he emphasized the fact that they were specifically designed not only to sound absolutely killer and to reduce the sheer amount of plugs in a specific chain, but to enable the songwriter to concentrate more on the creative process rather that the left-brain technical part.

The bulk of the presentation was spent on his philosophy of producing, writing, and his love for making music.

• Members

I really admire JJP's work a lot - especially some of the rock stuff he's done. The stuff he did with Jellyfish is, IMHO, as good as it gets. Spilt Milk is one of my ten favorite records of all time.

Hah....that was what I was gonna say! If he did nothing else, I love the Roy Thomas Baker/ George Martin/ Phil Spector hugeness of that record. I'm estimating the budget for that record as being a zillion dollars. :p

Is it just me, or could he be the twin brother of Alan Rickman?

• Moderators

One of the greatest (to me) compliments I've ever gotten in my professional career was a phone call from Jack Puig - I had tracked an album that he was slated to mix, and he called me when he got the tapes (yes, 2'' tapes) to tell me that I'd gotten some of the greatest sounds he'd ever heard :)

I personally think JJP has gotten some of THE greatest sounds I've EVER heard on record!

• Members

One of the greatest (to me) compliments I've ever gotten in my professional career was a phone call from Jack Puig - I had tracked an album that he was slated to mix, and he called me when he got the tapes (yes, 2'' tapes) to tell me that I'd gotten some of the greatest sounds he'd ever heard
:)

I personally think JJP has gotten some of THE greatest sounds I've EVER heard on record!

That is so cool.

Archived