OSX Lion was released today... are you going to upgrade right away, or wait a bit?

According to this site (with thanks to Travvybear for the link), it doesn't work with Pro Tools yet, so I'll be waiting a bit until it does... but I can't imagine it doesn't work with Logic.

Anyone jumping in right away, or are you going to wait a bit? If you're already using it, please let us know what you think!

• Members

Since I only use GarageBand, I'll be upgrading sooner rather than later. I need to look into whether or not it's available at the brick and mortar apple stores. for os stuff, I still like having a disk.

• Members

If it had come on a disk, I might have taken the plunge as i'm a Logic user and I suspect it would still continue to work fine. No disk though :mad:

Apparently you will be able to buy the OS from an Apple store on a USB stick, soon.. I believe that kind of doubles the price though, but it is pretty cheap compared to previous versions...

I'll wait a week and then maybe i'll do the download. I'll let you know if I do.. I'm sort of impatient with these things.. :facepalm:

• Members

Since I only use GarageBand, I'll be upgrading sooner rather than later. I need to look into whether or not it's available at the brick and mortar apple stores. for os stuff, I still like having a disk.

Lion will not be in stores until next month. And then it will be on a USB stick for $69. Where as the download is $29. I understand the stick cost something, but really??? $40???? There are some articles on the web on how to make an OSX Lion install disk from the download though. I figure when I upgrade I'll just do that. Download and then make an install disk.

But back to the original question. I'm a PT user so I'm still on 10.6.7 and will be until anything new is approved for PT. And unless there is some performance increases with Lion I may wait until I get a new mac and get the "free" upgrade.

And on that note I hope the server version of the new Mini will run PT. It would make a killer little set up. Quad-core Sandy Bridge i7, 2x500 GB HD's. All for a price I can handle. Hook it up to a nice monitor and away I go for the next several years. ;)

• Members

I might refuse to update until they stop with the dumb cat names. Numbers are easy, they're sequential, which is useful since Apple updates their OS more often than Microsoft. Go to the 'Lion' page at Apple's website and you can't even find a version number mentioned anywhere! You can find that you need 10.6.6 to update to Lion, but you can't find "10.7" anywhere.

I know I have 10.5. I have no idea nor care what damned cat it is.

• Members

I might refuse to update until they stop with the dumb cat names. Numbers are easy, they're sequential, which is useful since Apple updates their OS more often than Microsoft. Go to the 'Lion' page at Apple's website and you can't even find a version number mentioned anywhere! You can find that you need 10.6.6 to update to Lion, but you can't find "10.7" anywhere.

I know I have 10.5. I have no idea nor care what damned cat it is.

The cat names are probably internal program management code names that just stuck. You see the same thing with Intel processors.

• Members

...There are some articles on the web on how to make an OSX Lion install disk from the download though. I figure when I upgrade I'll just do that. Download and then make an install disk. ...

Here is a link to one such article:

http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to-burn-your-own-lion-install-dvd-or-flash-drive

Important note (mentioned in the article): be sure to burn the disc prior to installing the OS (at the end of the install, apparently the Lion installer is deleted).

As the the question of whether or not to adopt Lion now, my inclination is to avoid x.0 iterations of important applications, especially an operating system. Let others be the field beta-testers.

• Members

I installed it on an external drive.

Running Logic in 32bit mode, Automat, and Plugsound pro, are the only AU that didn't pass AU eval.

Haven't checked for updates yet.

iLok apps seem to work, Melodyne standalone work, haven't tested the plug.

All Pace installers and PPC apps have been tombstoned.

Only apps I lost were the apps bundled with my Epson printer.

• Members

I've made several partitions to be able to experiment with such things. Digital Performer stays happily on 10.6.7 for now. I upgraded a 10.6.8 partition to Lion from app store. Smooth as silk. I also restored the installers disk image to a flash drive and did a clean install from that. Again, no worries. A lot of visual eye candy, but it feels pretty much like Snow Lep under your fingers. The new Spaces/Resume functionality might be really cool if Daw's can program in the ability to lock plugin windows to particular spaces. No more moving things around to find out what's underneath.

Given Apple's naming schemes, I'd code name Lion iCandy :eekphil::phil::badump:

Archived