70s re strats

keith335

• Members

I would avoid a guitar with a three bolt neck. It was a dumb design back in the seventies and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better.

I have an original seventies strat and that three bolt neck was all over the place. I had to put some glue in the bolt sockets to stablize it somewhat.

• Members

Well so far I guess I've been lucky! Two 75 3-bolt Strats with Kahlers yet! Ya, you need a spare! The neck doesn't go all over the place for me but, I don't strangle the thing. Big head, small head, who cares? And now I've got some Gibsons I need to explore. It never ends!

• Members

I have a 79 that I've had since I bought it NOS in 81. Great guitar: guys offered to buy it from me for year. never had any of the problems that these guitar are said to have, the body is contoured like any good 50's and it is more resonant then any new stuff. I've play some bad 70's. I will say there are more bad 70's then new stuff but most of the new stuff is very bland ....so to me the 70's have more great ones and more bad ones, the new ones are more consistant but that constitancey is uninspiring

• Members

I was a bit of a manic onstage back in the eighties, and I toured a lot with my '79 strat, so I'm sure I may have contributed to the neck slot being a bit wonky, but I still think three bolts is a bad idea. The guitar still play's though.

I've posted this pic. a few times before:
1979Strat.jpg

• Members

The 3 bolt necks where horrible for stability back then. So you'd take yours to school woodshop. And drillin another two bolts. Microtilt thingy was fairly regarded as just a sustain killer. So you'd get rid of that so it became normal bolt on. But the pups where wanting replacement to. So you'd get dimarzios replacment. Neck and pups fixed, was decent guitar giving what was available. Overall lousy trem, but competitions wasnt better.

Note: If your gonna drill the other two holes into neck and body pocket. First remove neck and any shims. Zero out that stupid micro tilt so isnt doing nothing. Then rebolt neck and verify you can lower trem enough to retain good playability. Then with neck firmly (lol) bolted into guitar with them 3 bolts. Mount guitar on drill rig. And drill the holes right thru neck and into body pocket. Replace bit with one for shallow wider part of hole where bolt head will go if desired. Then install the 4th & 5th bolt. The reason we added 2 more bolts was simply cause we wanted them to be between the other 3 so as to not weaken the wood. So theyd be drilled between the other 3 toward the outer edges.

• Members

3 bolt necks weren't the problem with Fenders in the '70s, it was {censored}ty quality control.

No one ever complains about the 3 bolt necks on newer Fenders, Japanese Fenders & Squiers or G&Ls.

What I don't understand is why people pay real money for any Fenders from the '70s, no matter how many screws are holding the neck on.

• Members

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel

3 bolt necks weren't the problem with Fenders in the '70s, it was {censored}ty quality control.

No one ever complains about the 3 bolt necks on newer Fenders, Japanese Fenders & Squiers or G&Ls.

What I don't understand is why people pay real money for any Fenders from the '70s, no matter how many screws are holding the neck on.

Agreed, QC was the real problem, not the design.

I don't get the vintage thing in general. The simple answer to your question is that as the pre-1970 Fenders have become unaffordable to all but a very select few (and mostly change hands within an established body of collectors anyhow), then obviously to some folks the 70s Fenders become the "next best thing". With very very few exceptions, the only reason I see to buy second hand - which is what "vintage" ultimately boils down to - is if it's otherwise unavailable and / or much cheaper than buying new.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Originally posted by Dougy

Squier Standard Strat

+

Sandpaper

+

Fake Fender Decal

=

Affordable solution

:thu:

I'm actually in the process of doing this right now, except with and affinity instead of a standard. I'm also swapping out the electronics for those from a 1970's reissue. I'll post some pics in the next few weeks. It started life as a chrome red fat strat and is being tranformed into a 2-tone sunburst 70's reissue.

• Members

Nothing whatsoever wrong w/ 3-bolts. All three of my electrics are 3-bolts. They're all rock solid. But..., these new capped maple, drenched in poly lacquer RI necks aren't nearly as soulfull/tonefull as the old hardrock one piece nitro maple ones, IMO...

• Members

Each strat has their own place. the 70s models are BY FAR the most aerodynamic. In other words, they're the easiest to sail with, the easiest to jump around with, do a solo at 240bpm behind your back with, and swing around your shoulder. Very fun rock guitar.

I won't deny the lovingly comfortable feel of a 50s V neck, or a fat, chunky warm 60s C neck. I just love all strats....sigh... :(

Archived