$2,000,000.00 & It's In Stock

Bbreaker

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

Ok, that one too but I'd bet Pagey's LP would bring more.

people are already after him for it - he said a collector offered him 1,000,000 pounds (> $2,000,000,000 i think)

when/if that guitar ever sells it will hold the record for a long time, since it's got both things going for it - it's a '59 les paul AND it's the guitar Page used all through Led Zeppelin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is there any guitar being played today by a current artist that will someday be worth $2,000,000?

I can't think of one. Maybe a few hundred thousand but no more. That's what makes this guitar unique. It was used for decades and was responsible for some of the most incendiary guitar tones put on vinyl.

• Members
Originally posted by MojoFilter

Heheheh...edited now for accuracy...".com bubble".

Now let me get back on my goddamn soapbox....
:p

Still, though...a 700% markup on the most expensive Les Pauls to date? For "mojo" and "vibe"? Again...what historic moments were this instrument involved in to justify that sort of a markup?

Ehhhh...I think you're missing the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Green_%28musician%29

$1.265 million?!?!?!? It's just a baseball card!!!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T206

$2.9 million for 96 cents worth of postage stamps?!?!?!?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_Jenny

• Members
Originally posted by onbongos

people are already after him for it - he said a collector offered him 1,000,000 pounds (> $2,000,000,000 i think)

when/if that guitar ever sells it will hold the record for a long time, since it's got both things going for it - it's a '59 les paul AND it's the guitar Page used all through Led Zeppelin

Actually, in the beginning Page used a Tele...I think Joe Walsh gave him that guitar if I remember the story correctly, perhaps Page will give it back?

LOL

BTW, although Peter Green's LP is definately a piece of history, 2m is fool's bait, of which I'm sure some fool with free $$$ will show-up and claim it eventually...

The freaking neck was shattered in a car accident for cripes-sake! :rolleyes:

• Members

There was an article on the Peter Green Les Paul in a UK guitar magazine I had. Appearently there were real hard feelings between Gary Moore and the buyer, who is the one listing the guitar on that website. Gary says that the contract clearly stated that the guitar would not be offered for public sale. Another thing, Gary also says the guitar was brought from him for substantially less than a million dollars, and now it's being listed for more than twice as much.

However, the seller does not expect the guitar to go for two million. Personally, I think it looks like gash so I wouldn't touch it. Those "noburst" finishes don't do it for me.

• Members

Originally posted by Gochaz

However, the seller does not expect the guitar to go for two million. Personally, I think it looks like gash so I wouldn't touch it. Those "noburst" finishes don't do it for me.

Perhaps the $2 million price is simply to draw attention to the fact they have the guitar. The price essentially makes it unsellable.

• Members

While I don't see myself ever being willing to shell out that kind of jack for a guitar, even if I WAS financially able to afford anything I want, I do see this market having many potential choices as these guys start to retire/fade away/die/rot/loose their teeth/get divorced...

Page's LP for sure
Eddie's old taped Kramers and Charvels
Randy's polkadot V or his white LP
Slash's clone LP from Appetite
Hetfield's white Explorer
Vai's white JEM or his swirly JEM
Satriani's Chromeboy

These are just a few icons of the 70's, 80's and 90's, but there are tons more that are just waiting to join private collections of fans that have gone from poor kid in the audience to wealthy adults. I mean, is $100k a lot for a one of a kind item, played and lived with by someone you considered a superhero at one time? Is it a lot when you are pulling down 6 figures and the first figure isn't a "1"? Movie props from famous movies pull these kind of prices.. Why not living, breathing instruments that have been all around the world? Can you imagine the mojo-quotient of, say, Hetfield's Explorer to a die hard Metallica fan? Sure, most Metallica fans dropped out and now work at Burger King, but some stayed in school and wore those black wristbands under their graduation robe, and went on to make something of themselves.. Now they look back at the good old days and want something from that era.. $2 million is insane, but something ~$100,000 for certain ones, absolutely not insane.

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

Page's LP for sure

Eddie's old taped Kramers and Charvels

Randy's polkadot V or his white LP

Slash's clone LP from Appetite

Hetfield's white Explorer

Vai's white JEM or his swirly JEM

Satriani's Chromeboy

You left out

Billy Gibbons' 'Pearly Gates' Les Paul Sunburst.

...and what about BB King's 'Lucille'? That one will fetch a few $$$, dontcha think?

• Members

Man that's some major cheese for a guitar. I don't think I would ever pay that even if I was Bill Gates rich. I would rather have one of other things, like a custom LP and some nice custom shop Strats. That enough for me. I would spend the $2 milliion on the furniture in my $10 million house.

• Members

Originally posted by EdMan63

Man that's some major cheese for a guitar. I don't think I would ever pay that even if I was Bill Gates rich. I would rather have one of other things, like a custom LP and some nice custom shop Strats. That enough for me. I would spend the $2 milliion on the furniture in my $10 million house.

I'd buy the guitar, and permanently hire Gary Moore to play it if I had Bill Gates money:D

• Members

The guy has gotten $3 million in free publicity since he listed in on his website. Keep in mind that at first he listed it as "Not For Sale". He and his staff probably got real tired of the probable 200 to 300 nimrods calling every day making an offer. By placing an extreme price on it he probably saved himself a lot of grief.

Worth mentioning is that he's taken it to several guitar shows since purchasing it, and has allowed pretty much any doofus who walked up to his booth to play the guitar through an amp. Say what you will, but that's pretty cool in my book.

If he gets his asking price, more power to him.

By the way, POS 70's Strats are selling for three to five grand. THAT is what is insane!

Archived