Favorite Seymour Duncan Humbucker?

burton4snow

• Members

I don't care for the '59, I find it to be a bit muddy in the neck.

I don't like the PG, too ice-picky bright. (But does do the squealy/harmonic "Sharp Dress Man" tone quite well)

Don't care for the CC, it lacks highs and lows (but does do the EVH brown sound fairly well).

I like the PG+ fairly well, but it's not available in after market. :confused: It has a nice full round fat bridge tone good for classic rock overdrive tone.

I just got a guitar that has a Jazz in the neck (really like it) and a JB in the bridge. I'm liking the JB too. Not as definite a like as the Jazz in the neck, but I think it's got a lot of potential.

I was also a little disappointed with a Classic Stack. Output was lower than I expected and I felt it was a little flat on tone.

So so far I'd give a minus to the
Custom Custom
Pearly Gates
'59 Neck
Classic Stack

And a plus to the
Jazz
JB
PG+

The next SDs I want to try are the
Custom V
Alnico II Pro Strat neck

I've had better luck with DiMarzios

Into a JS100 a PAF Pro and FRed
Stock on a Custom Tele Spec. Air Norton and Tone Zone
Neck on a STeinberger Virtual PAF

But when it comes to these higher end pups I don't think it's so much a matter of bad and good, but more a matter of your playing style, rig and setup.

But I must say, I wouldn't mind trying a '59 in a bridge postion. I think it's warmth might be quite nice there.

• Members

Originally posted by burton4snow

Looking to upgrade. There are Seymour Duncans in the guitar now but it was a $500 guitar so I'm sure I could do better. I playing the bluesy stuff, classic rock, and late 70s rock. What is a good set bridge and neck?

I'd say Jazz and Custom V for a fat bottom from the bridge or

Jazz and JB for more cut from the bridge or

or substitute in a Seth Lover for the neck, good note clarity with classic tone.

I didn't state above, but I bought a set of Seth Lovers to go into my CSE Gibson Studio, but I haven't gotten them installed yet. I want to get a luthier to do it right, since I'm not skilled with soldering and would worry about F'n up my baby. But the luthier I use in Seattle highly endorses the SL model pups.

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

I'd say Jazz and Custom V for a fat bottom from the bridge or

Jazz and JB for more cut from the bridge or

or substitute in a Seth Lover for the neck, good note clarity with classic tone.

I didn't state above, but I bought a set of Seth Lovers to go into my CSE Gibson Studio, but I haven't gotten them installed yet. I want to get a luthier to do it right, since I'm not skilled with soldering and would worry about F'n up my baby. But the luthier I use in Seattle highly endorses the SL model pups.

Players "in the know" like the authentic tones of those Seth Lovers. They are amazing. You're gonna love 'em. They are exceptionally responsive to pick attack, palm muting, and you can play them off of your amp for some controlled feedback.

Those really cool Les Paul tones from Clapton, Bloomfield, et. al., were partially a function of original PAF's that were NOT wax potted. The sound is much more open and raw, with a sweet high end, almost like a single coil tele pickup.

• Members

Hey Gas Man in another thread I think you said you knew of a guy in Seattle that does good setups. Maybe I'm wrong on this. If It was you that knows could you give me more information on this. thanks.

Yeah, my ass is up in the Bellingham area. But I sometimes trip down to Randy Parson's shop. It is right next to the Guitar Center Store that is off of Mercer Street. It's part of the same building.

He is a highly skilled luthier and he builds custom guitars as well as setup/tech work.

He charges about $50 for a setup and $150 for a pro setup.

With the $50 setup, he does adjust the nut slot heights which a lot of the cheaper setup tech will skip over. I've had $25 setups from folks like that which were a complete waste of the 25. So for $50, you pretty much get the whole works.

For the extra hundred, that includes fret leveling, crowning and polishing. I've only had that done on a used ES335 that I had sitting around for years. I found it used for $900, but it felt like its frets had been "flat filed" so sliding to notes was uncomfortable and hard to do since my fingers would get caught on the edges of the tops of the frets.

But ask him about prices. I've found he likes to keep his prices out of date on his website and booklet and then he says, "Oh where did you find that at?"

http://www.parsonsguitars.com/

But he seems to be a good guy.

Some day, I'll find someone closer that is more than a money clipping hack. But ya know, I hate to use ma and pa stores cuz they give you attitude if you didn't buy the guitar or pups directly from them. With Randy, it don't matter.

Randy was telling me that he was making a guitar from all one piece of wood. Including the neck. That would be interesting huh.

edit: And yes, he was the guy who, upon my telling him I'd be bringing him a set of Seth Lovers to install, took the time to tell me that he had recently installed them on a guitar and thought they had great articulation and individual note clarity even in chords. He's also a Burstbucker fan. Probably the BB1 and BB2.

• Members

Looking to upgrade. There are Seymour Duncans in the guitar now but it was a $500 guitar so I'm sure I could do better. I playing the bluesy stuff, classic rock, and late 70s rock. What is a good set bridge and neck?

My favorite SD set for that type of stuff is a Pearly Gates in the bridge and an Alnico Pro II in the neck.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

My favorite SD set for that type of stuff is a Pearly Gates in the bridge and an Alnico Pro II in the neck.

I'm also curious about the Alnico Pro II. I mean, I certainly like Slash's tone just fine.

My one experience with the PG is in my mahogany Yamaha SG and it's just too bright and not enough bottom in that guitar for my tastes. I'd have thought it would have been a great choice since it's basically a Yammy Les Paul, so I thought I'd end up with a classic LP tone with just that "touch of Texas sizzle". But it only works for me in that gritty/high gain sort of way. But no doubt, it's a popular pickup.

• Members

I think unless you are comparing them back to back, the '59, Alnico Pro II or Seth Lover will work for me in the bridge... or the JB for more output. I feel that I am pretty picky, and based purely on sound, they are pretty hard for me to tell apart.

• Members
Originally posted by docjeffrey

Players "in the know" like the authentic tones of those Seth Lovers. They are amazing. You're gonna love 'em. They are exceptionally responsive to pick attack, palm muting, and you can play them off of your amp for some controlled feedback.

Those really cool Les Paul tones from Clapton, Bloomfield, et. al., were partially a function of original PAF's that were NOT wax potted. The sound is much more open and raw, with a sweet high end, almost like a single coil tele pickup.

I would listen to this man.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by docjeffrey

By the way, Warren Haynes gets his amazing tones from stock Gibson 57 Classics in his 2002 LP R8 figuretop. He swears by those 57's , but he also likes Burstbuckers.

Nothing wrong with Gibson humbuckers. They invented them, after all.

Actually, Warren's been using a pair of Pearly Gates in some of his LP's as well....

Archived