The importance of having a lava lamp in your studio.

• Members

I very often see pictures of pro studios and lots of home studios with a lava lamp sitting on the desk. Initially, I thought it was just a relic of a bygone era; the days of free love and hippies. However, when a nice silver lamp with clear liquid and red lava came into the thrift store I work at, I figured, "why not put that in my studio? It couldn't hurt." After adjusting the salt content in the liquid, the lava was flowing nicely and I thought it was adding a nice ambience to the room.:cool:

However, as I've been working on more and more editing jobs of late, I find myself staring at the flowing lava - entranced as I listen to loads and loads of tedious audio,:cry: (mostly speech):bor: and somehow, having these flowing blobs of goo to stare at keeps me focused on the job, whereas before I would break up the tedium with frequent trips to the HC forums and an over-abuse of snacks:snax::snax:.

If you don't have this handy visual distractor in your studio, I highly recommend it. :thu:

• Members

Lava Lamps are not ideal for rehearsal rooms - they can get knocked over too easily, and when they break, they make a waxy mess.

Every studio should have one though. It's an unwritten law.
:D

Yep, the shards of that broken lava lamp should be in the display case.

• Members

I originally thought it was just a joke more than anything else, studio owners saying "I just
had
to get a lava lamp in the shot, lolz", but now I'm thinking of getting one
:thu:

There has definitely been an audible improvement in my mixes since acquiring the lava lamp. It works!

I guess in all the dead moments it's something to stare at and keep your mind ticking over!

To me, it serves as a nice visual distraction... Any time I feel like I need to stare at something, instead of endlessly staring at the waveform screen, I instead stare at the Lava Lamp. It keeps the eyes occupied and allows me to use my ears for evaluating things instead. ;)

Lava Lamps - Highly recommended. :phil:

• Members

Lava Lamps are not ideal for rehearsal rooms - they can get knocked over too easily, and when they break, they make a waxy mess.

Every studio should have one though. It's an unwritten law.
:D

thats a reason why i didn't took it with my for last nights rehearsal, other than that, that i forgot it :)

i'm still thinking where i could put it, still to be visible and not to be in an endangered space... hmmm

i never use it at home also that my two year old cannot knock it down..

• Members

I'll have to see if I can find mine and plug-it in. Someone need to make a "plug-in" version lol. Waves LL-2500 anyone??? lol

Just to add, but a band I was in had a practice room set-up that had a lava lamp and other neon lights and such. Very cool room to practice/write in.

Archived