The "I'm too fat to go out in the daylight" thread

Super 8

• Members

"Whin Big Joan sets up

Her hands are too small

She's too fat to go out in the daylight

So she rolls around all night"

I figured the fat thread should be revived.

The SSS refugees should remember the 'Fat maggot' thread that that Ted whatshisname guy started a while back.

For those of you who weren't around then, or don't remember, you can go there by the link provided.

www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/022369.html#000008]

Basically, we were all making commitments to each other to get in better shape. Sort of a new years resolution thing.

It was a great idea, because people are gaining weight like crazy in the country (And if you're not in this country, don't worry. I promise your country is next...). I didn't chime in too much in that thread, but I have definitely been working on the same goal of getting in shape since Jan 2004.

One thing I've learned, is that when you make these kinds of commitments it is important to stick to them.

The stats I heard were that 5 people out of 100 will succeed in losing weight and keeping it off. Not good.

So with that, I'd like to formally re-introduce the old thread to the new country.

Let's keep a good thing going. :)

Well... I did it for three main reasons:

* I'm 33 and losing weight sound a good thing to do

* My band does not deserve to have Porky as the lead singer

* We were shooting our new video last weekend.

I started over 230 pounds and currently am around 211. That is not a lot of weight loss but I have surely reduced my clothing size. I look better.

It would be nice if some of us post some "before" and "after" pics.

• Members

Atkins just filed for bankruptcy. Among all the new "low-carb" competition they simply cannot continue their business model. And they saw the handwriting on the wall with the introduction of "Atkins cruises" on the Carnival cruise line - the dichotomy of a cruise (with all the indulgences you can possibly imagine) to support a weightloss regimen was too great for them to bear.

"Atkins asks you to change your lifestyle. Changing your lifestyle is just too difficult."

There is one proven way to get healthy: Eat less, and exercise more. Eat fresh, healthy food, in reasonable proportions. Put less food on your plate, and less beverage in your glass. Eat slowly, to a) savor the flavor and b) satisfy your hunger. Once that's done, push the plate away and get up from the table! Go for a nice walk or something.

Don't keep snacks (besides fresh fruits & veggies) in the house. Drink fruit juices and water; get rid of the soda and other crap beverages. Start walking to local places instead of driving.

It ain't rocket science. AND it's also incredibly difficult for many people; the same compulsiveness that keeps them gambling or drugging keeps them overeating. BTW, there's a good possibility that food 'manufacturers' are putting ingredients in their products that physically compel you back, just like nicotine in tobacco.

Just rambling I guess. My best to all who struggle with this problem.

• Members

Here's where I'm at:

I have kept up on my commitment to excercise for the past year and a half. I weight train 2 or 3 times a week. I sprained my wrist a few weeks ago playing with my son, and that has made it difficult to go as regularly, and workout as intensely, but I'm sticking with it.

I also walk about 16 miles a week. I've always walked. I love walking, but now I walk a lot faster.

My goal with excercise has been to find something healthy I can do that is sustainable for the rest of my life. I am building muscle, but I don't care about bulking up. My endurance is up, but I don't care about running marathons. All I care about is developing a program that is healthy and sustainable.

I would say I get a moderate level of exercise, which is probably a lot more than most people get. It really doesn't take up that much of my time....which is a good thing.

I've lost weight from excercise, but my diet has always sucked. Basically, I eat like a 17 year old. I'm hooked on fast food. It's what I've eaten my entire life.

It's a bad habbit and an unhealthy way to live, so I've been trying to change it. It's been harder than I thought.

Last week I started on the SouthBeach program. I actually got my recommendation from Ken/eleven shadows.:cool: quite some time ago.

I like it because it's really a pretty simple program. You just eat right.

Good fats, good carbs.

I messed with Aktins for a while, but I didn't really see it as something sustainable...and again, this is something I need to be able to do for the rest of my life.

So it's been lean meat, and non-starchy veggies for me. Bassically A LOT of stuff I have hardly ever eaten in the past. The trasition has been a little weird, but I'm starting to get into it.

I'm still in Phase 1, so I can't have any bread or anything like that. It was driving me a little crazy for the first few days, and the temptation is still there, but I'm getting better.

No calorie counting. I eat when I'm hungry, till I'm satisfied.

Monday I weighed myself and had lost 6 pounds. I am very pleased.

• Members

Do more aerobic activity. Good for guys over 30 that like beer.

Me, I try to ride my bike EVERY day in the summer. Ski often and snowshoe in the winter. I've never been into the stationary, "gerbil" style equipment found in the gyms. Being outdoors is a much more entertaining and enjoyable way of getting real excercise.

Granted, I've always been kind of a skinny {censored}, but I notice that beer and overeating does have effects on my waistline now that I've passed the 30 year old mark.

Oh yeah, and have LOTS of sex!!! :D

• Members

I started the year at 232. It was the most I've ever weighed.

Right now, I'm about 195. I'm fitting into clothes I haven't worn in 10 years. :)

I didn't do any sort of diet regimen - I basically did it by eating less and exercising more. I work out every day. Some days I run (five miles) some days I swim (3000 meters), some days I lift weights and do the elliptical. Some days I do combinations of these (swim, then run).

The other key? No snacking. That's what was killing me before.

As far as what I eat, I basically eat whatever I want - I just try and eat less of it.

dB

• Members

If you start a weight-loss regimen, you have to stick to it

Yeah really. I spent 4 weeks losing 10 pounds. I slipped for 5 days and got it all back.

There is one proven way to get healthy: Eat less, and exercise more. Eat fresh, healthy food, in reasonable proportions. Put less food on your plate, and less beverage in your glass. Eat slowly, to a) savor the flavor and b) satisfy your hunger. Once that's done, push the plate away and get up from the table! Go for a nice walk or something.

I don't have a problem with any of this. I think my 2 biggest problems are:

1) Beer.

2) A gf that proclaims we need to exercise more but is never interested in going for a walk or doing much of anything else physical. it's too hot, or it's too bright, or there's too much traffic or people or something. So we just eat and sit around all the time :mad: I'm going to start leaving her behind, methinks.

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton

2) A gf that proclaims we need to exercise more but is never interested in going for a walk or doing much of anything else physical. it's too hot, or it's too bright, or there's too much traffic or people or something. So we just eat and sit around all the time
:mad:
I'm going to start leaving her behind, methinks.

Sounds just like my wife.

• Members

Originally posted by shniggens

Sounds just like my wife.

Mine, too :(

A year or so ago, I started the South Beach diet, which lasted for 6 months or so (my wife didn't want to diet with me, so it was incredibly difficult to keep it up.) During that time, I lost quite a bit of my midsection. I went from 41 inches at my widest point, to 37.5 inches in the first three months. I weighed in at about 170 in November.

In February of this year, I was completely off the diet, so I decided to start exercising. I walked every day for an hour, and around here it's really hilly, so it definitely wasn't a casual stroll - I really worked it. After the walk, I would lift weights. I kept that up for a couple of months, then tried jogging. I developed a stress fracture in an ankle, so I went to biking, again around the same area, big hills, etc...

In June, after 5 months of exercising every day, I gained almost 30 pounds, I'm now at 198, and my widest point now measures 42 inches -- 4.5 inches wider than in November.

Sorry for the ramble, I just have a really crappy self-image right now.

• Members

In June, after 5 months of exercising every day, I gained almost 30 pounds, I'm now at 198, and my widest point now measures 42 inches -- 4.5 inches wider than in November.

Yeah, but did you replace flabby fat with dense, firm muscle?

in other words, do you *look* better? Feel better? All that exercise has got to be good for you.

In the case of my gf, blesserheart, to her defense, i have successfully convinced her to go walking after the sun goes down and it cools off a little bit. We have two different heat tolerance levels- I'm perfectly comfortable between 70 and 85F, but she is miserable in anything over 60F. So a lot of these times where I suggest "hey hon, let's go for a walk" are times where I'm just dandy and she's already dripping with sweat. She's also quite fair-skinned so she burns to a crisp the second she steps out into sunlight.

It's kind of one of my peeves though, nonetheless.... she'll have her due in the wintertime when i'm freezing my ass off and she feels fine.

We're both overweight and growing, but not grotesque yet. She keeps saying that if i lose all my pudge she'll be self conscious and force herself to lose hers. I haven't exactly tested this, but I'm very tempted.

Oh wait, does this mean it's my fault we're fat?

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

"Atkins asks you to change your lifestyle. Changing your lifestyle is just too difficult."

I am a big advocate of the "FatKins Diet".

Basically the principle is you eat all of the crap your ancestors and family ate and you will have an ass as fat as any of your Kin's!:D

fat_200x150.jpg

• Members

I'm kicking complete ass and here's my stats:

In April after I got back from Hawaii, I tipped the scale at 221..BY FAR the most frightening sight I had ever seen on a scale!!...After a year of pneumonia and several rounds of steriods, little physical exercise and not over eating but eating what I want and drinking Mocha's everyday, I had gained a lot of weight...After the shock of seeing that weight I decided to lose it and get healthy again...So, we joined Nutrisystem..It was very easy to stick to, the food was edible and basically in 2 months I was down 20lbs...with no exercise..Was feeling better for sure...Then we took off from Alaska and got to New Jersey where I was to work for my uncle's Tree service until December..This was my workout regime and get in shape plan..well for those of you who do not know what a tree man does, let me just say the it's the most insanely physical job I have ever had!! Dragging HUGE heavy sections of trees to the chipper, hoising huge logs on trucks, raking acres of yard yourself for cleanup...Dragging huge amounts of brush and walking walking walking, sweating sweating, humping, killing yourself!!.....Fun fun!!!..Anyway, I'm hanging and actually kicking ass as far as what they all tell me..I'm in my 4th week and down another 15lbs but I'm also getting my muscle tone back in a big way plus a tan...By December I should be in sick shape!!!...I eat whatever I want now by the way and am off Nutisystem.....I will start weight traing a few days a week when my body gets a little more used to the physicality of this job, just to tighten things up ever better....:)

• Members

Originally posted by auditorium
one side effect of amphetamine abuse is weight loss...give it a shot!
:)

Any weightloss you experience will be temporary.

The problem with gaining weight back is that you usually gain back MORE than you lost. This is why it is important that your weightloss be a part of a lifestyle change in how you approach food.

The goal isn't to lose weight. The goal is to eat right, and weightloss is a byproduct of eating right.

• Members

Between intense daily 2 hour practice sessions on the drums, 5 months on a weld destruct job (where you literally tear apart an entire car with you bare hands using hammers and pliers) and bicycle riding this summer, I have only lost about 5-10 pounds but I look 20 pounds thinner. I know that without actual weightloss though that this muscle can all become fat next winter, if I'm not careful.

The bottom line..............I feel very good now.

I'm trying to avoid the icecream , but I'll get tempted to pick up a few bags of Doritos every few weeks.

Dan

danbig.jpg

http://teachmedrums.com

Archived