Question

Axe

• Members

I've been playing guitar, close to 3 years now. Because I'm broke, Ive been stuck with the same guitar (Squier Bullet) It's a {censored} guitar. But I've dealt with it. The question I have is, will a better guitar improve my playing even more? I'm a solo-ist, and I've reached a point now, where I can't do the things I want to and can do, with the Squier I have. A Squier is a beginners guitar and I'm way past beginner. I've played on better guitars, but right now I can't afford it. I ain't got a job. But will a better guitar take my level of playing to the next level? I feel like if I want to take this next step, I'm gonna have to get a better guitar. Opinions please.

• Members

If I were you I'd start prowlin the music stores and trying out guitars within your -future- budget, whatever you think you'll be able to save-up in the near future. See if they really feel different. Pickups/electronics/tuners are are secondary. I'm not sure about the Bullet but maybe you're primed and ready for a guitar with a flatter fretboard or a different neck/whatever. The buy for my current #1 guitar came about from just a casual music store trip, where I just picked up something totally different and knew it was right when I started playing it.

• Members

Originally posted by Rapmaster

In short, no. Players make guitars what they are, not the other way around.

But specifically, what's stopping you from going up to the next level?

Don't know if you've ever played on a Squier Bullet before, but once you do you'll understand what I'm saying. Some examples of it are:

The strings are way to high for it to be a solo-ist guitar, and you can't put it down any lower because it'll make the strings dudd's.

I can't get the sustain I want because of the pick-ups, I don't wanna bother with upgrading the guitar since it ain't worth it. I've picked up some pedals and {censored} but doesnt really make too much of a difference.

I ain't a fan of Fender, but the Squier was all I could afford.

Just a few examples.

• Members
Originally posted by Axe

A Squier is a beginners guitar

:rolleyes: There's a lot of very experienced players who will argue that statement.

Gear doesn't make the player - someone who sucks will still suck on a high-dollar guitar. And I guarantee that if Tony Iommi picks up a Squier, he's still gonna kick ass. Some of the greatest music ever recorded was done on "{censored} gear", by today's internet forum snob standards.

There's nothing wrong with wanting new gear - hell, I'd like some new stuff too. But it's not gonna suddenly make you(or me) any better of a player.

• Members

Where are you located at? I might have something for you to try if close that I "might" donate to the cause. Its {censored}, but better {censored} than you currently have :)

Agreed, a setup would help tremendously. A good player can play on anything. Realistically though, if you find a Fender style harder to play on, maybe another size neck or even scale could help improve your playing.

Some necks just are not comfy for me to play on, so I don't play those kinds of guitars. Can still play them, but maybe not as fast or even with as much joy.

I tried basses out tonight, looking for a backup, and man even more than guitars, some are just impossible for me to play. Fender J-Bass -- perfection! Most other brands, necks are too big for my smaller hands.

• Members

A truly {censored} guitar wont intonate properly and will have dead spots on the neck.

If youre always having problems staying in tune, and you cant play your scales because certain notes are fretting out, youre doing all sorts of extra work because your guitar sucks.

A better guitar will be easier to play too.

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

If I were you I'd start prowlin the music stores and trying out guitars within your -future- budget, whatever you think you'll be able to save-up in the near future. See if they really feel different. Pickups/electronics/tuners are are secondary. I'm not sure about the Bullet but maybe you're primed and ready for a guitar with a flatter fretboard or a different neck/whatever. The buy for my current #1 guitar came about from just a casual music store trip, where I just picked up something totally different and knew it was right when I started playing it.

I've been trying out the Gibson's and Dean's (mostly the Dimebag series) and they've got a real good feel to it. I've had a few Gibson's in mind, but I'm still looking for the "perfect" guitar. I may just hold up on the Gibson's and grab me a Dime, Kick ass guitar IMO.

• Members
Originally posted by Axe

I've been trying out the Gibson's and Dean's (mostly the Dimebag series) and they've got a real good feel to it. I've had a few Gibson's in mind, but I'm still looking for the "perfect" guitar. I may just hold up on the Gibson's and grab me a Dime, Kick ass guitar IMO.

you'll lose your mind looking for Perfect... for me its just been a progression toward understanding what I like and need. For me its a heavy body, rosewood fretboard and a fatter neck. I'd go into the stores with your guitar strap and wear the thing too. Feel it ...
:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Alanfc

you'll lose your mind looking for Perfect... for me its just been a progression toward understanding what I like and need. For me its a heavy body, rosewood fretboard and a fatter neck. I'd go into the stores with your guitar strap and wear the thing too. Feel it ...

:cool:

Can do :thu: I've got pretty big hands too, so it's hard to find a guitar that feels right and is easy to scale on, since alot of guitars are built for folks with regular hands.

• Members
  • Members
  • Members

Originally posted by Axe

Sweet, Here's all the details on my guitar

I'm sure it'll never be the best sounding guitar on the block, but unless something is actually physically wrong with that guitar, you should definitely be able to get it playable

sadly, most beginner guitars never see a setup after whatever approximate setup they are given at the factory overseas

most stores don't take the time on a beginner guitar unless asked, and most beginners don't know to ask

most beginners quit early on, and if you don't, a year or two later you have a guitar that not only hasn't received maintanence setups, but never even had one to begin with

• Members
Originally posted by Axe

Don't know if you've ever played on a Squier Bullet before, but once you do you'll understand what I'm saying. Some examples of it are:

The strings are way to high for it to be a solo-ist guitar, and you can't put it down any lower because it'll make the strings dudd's.

I can't get the sustain I want because of the pick-ups, I don't wanna bother with upgrading the guitar since it ain't worth it. I've picked up some pedals and {censored} but doesnt really make too much of a difference.

I ain't a fan of Fender, but the Squier was all I could afford.

Just a few examples.

I've played a Bullet a couple times. Everybody plays guitar freshman year of high school nowadays and stores these things in their closet now :)

But a lot of the issues you're having sound setup related. Adjust the truss rod and lower the action and see if that'll help. And for the record, you can still play solo on a higher action, I actually prefer mine medium-high and can still get some prog metal leads down no problem.

It sounds like you're heading in the shred/metal/neoclassical/progrock area. Don't be phased by these so called "prodigies" flashing around their .08 gauge strings, pancake thin necks, scalloped frets and all that jazz. Take your time, there's no hurry in picking out gear. Besides, you'll save more money by then. To tide you over until you've got the cash for a new guitar, check around some pawn shops or garage sales and see what $50 will get you. It won't be an original '57 Les Paul, but from what it sounds, it'll be better than the Bullet until you have the funds and the right direction for a new guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Axe

I've been playing guitar, close to 3 years now. Because I'm broke, Ive been stuck with the same guitar (Squier Bullet) It's a {censored} guitar. But I've dealt with it. The question I have is, will a better guitar improve my playing even more? I'm a solo-ist, and I've reached a point now, where I can't do the things I want to and can do, with the Squier I have. A Squier is a beginners guitar and I'm way past beginner. I've played on better guitars, but right now I can't afford it. I ain't got a job. But will a better guitar take my level of playing to the next level? I feel like if I want to take this next step, I'm gonna have to get a better guitar. Opinions please.

To get back to your original question, my opinion is that a good guitar my not make someone who is a crumby guitarist any better. But if you take someone who is obviously dedicated to playing and getting better, (and who is stuck with a mediocre guitar) and give that person a high quality instrument, that guitar can really inspire a musican to play more and better.

That's one of the reason's I buy so much gear, it inspires me to play more, and to explore the new places a new toy can take me.

• Members

I got one of those Epiphone Les Paul Special IIs for $50 and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have to fuss with anything on it. None of it was great, but it was all servicable. That's why I've kept it.

I don't think Bullets are servicable. Sorry. Every one I ever touched didn't even meet minimum standards of a guitar in my book. You might just need a setup, but I dismiss Bullets out of hand, and I have many sub $200 guitars.

The EPis has a bigger fingerboard than most cheap Fenders. Might be a better fit for you.

You can try and snag something cheap around you. Look on Craigslist.net, they sell so cheap that most people don't even put them on eBay. Squier Affinities and Bullets go for 40-50 around here on CL.

Don't forget that you could try and find a trade. Most people in this price range trade all the time.

I'd recommend an SX 57 or 62 or SX Jr from Rondo. All three of those are $99 each. I know, these will all need a setup too but I feel they are a better base.

Mow some lawns, shovel some snow, walk some dogs, you can always make some ready cash in a hurry if you REALLY want to.

• Members

To clearly answer your question, if the guitar is holding you back, well then... it's holding you back. that can, and does, happen.

I'm down on your guitar because you specifically said that you don't have the sustain you want. Sustain comes from the wood and the metal, not the pickups.

Play the guitars you are interested in, unplugged. They should ring and sustain well, without being plugged in. Then plug it in. If you like it more, that's what you are looking for. If you like it less after plugging it in, move on.

• Members

Originally posted by Axe

First of all, as mentioned by JJ the genius, get it set up!

Unless your neck is warped, there is no reason it cant be set up for some killer action.

Have sustain problems? Work on your left hand technique

Ive got a bunch of Gibsons, but you know what? I can get my Squier Tele to sustain just as long

Archived