Spencer,Base, what about another NEXT!

Shars

• Members

Squiffy? That's a new one on me. I'll have to borrow that one for tomorrow morning. I have a much anticipated CD launch tonight (why not last night? Venue availability, I was told).

Two Thirteen are releasing their second full length album. They're a local aggressive rock band that have given me the pleasure of letting me make this CD with them. We're all hoping it's going to turn a lot of people's heads, both locally and across the country, eventually.

I'm looking forward to a massive show tonight at Club One. But, long before that, I'm going to enjoy a nice long ride this morning - I suffered a flat tire yesterday morning and had to walk the bike 25 min home :p . When I got the busted tube out, it was clear that it had suffered massive catastrophic failure - completely shot. I'm quite proud of it! It's my first flat in about 7 years :D

Cheers!

Spencer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good morning...Kansas City checking in.

Had a very nice small acoustic gig last night at a local coffeehouse. I guess my name was plastered all over the local smaller papers. I heard there would have been more people, but the Chiefs were playing last night (in an unusual Saturday night preseason game, I reckon, I haven't been following). Imagine the nerve of an NFL team scheduling a game during my gig!!! ;)

At any rate...the crowd was small but mighty.

• Members

My kingdom for my bed right now....coffee might not be enough today...

I didn't stay the full show last night - I physically couldn't. I rise @ 6:00 am for MUN duty. I didn't get home last night unitl almost 1:30 AM after rockin' out (and a couple of brews) with the band.

The show was great while I was there, despite a couple of technical issues. But the lads soldiered on despite them and no one in the crowd (save for me) seemed to notice. There was a decent sized crowd last night, too - for a Sunday night, that is. And all eyes were on da b'ys as they cranked out the tunes from the new CD. Unfortunately, the CDs themselves didn't show up on time from the manufacturer. But, they should be here today and on sale in stores tomorrow. I'm quite anxious to hear the first single on the radio, which should start airing today.

As for me, I'm late posting this morning because I was getting my new office chair ready: an 85 cm exercise ball...

Laugh if you must, but I was doing some mixing at a friend's home studio not too long ago and, instead of using the office chair present, I opted to use one of the exercise balls floating around his rec room - what a difference in overall comfort! I decided right then and there to get one for the office here at MUN. Friday I successfully tracked down one big enough to suit my needs. It may have taken substantial pumping, but I feel that it was worth it. Besides, I won't be inadvertantly nodding off for 30 second snoozes mid-afternoon sitting on this thing. Bonus! :D

And maybe, just maybe, I can get rid of these frelling (albethem small) love-handles that I've been sporting for the past 2 years! Yet one more effort to restore my mid-section to it's former glory! Besides, a stronger core will give me more power when I go riding - HUZZAH!!

Cheers! I'll take some coffee, now....

Spencer

• Members

Hi guys...

I'm up and about and been awake since 4 this morning..again.

Its now 07.15 here and a beautiful day outside with the sun shinning and blue skies.

I sat with a cup of coffee in the garden watching the sun coming up through the trees out back and over the tennis courts and what a beautiful site it was. Perfect day I'd say :)

I didnt think to grab my camera or I would have taken a few pics for yah.

Maybe tomorrow morning...

Hows you all today?

• Members

G'morning, lovely one!

I'm doin' alright. It's wet and kinda cool around here this morning. The wet weather is also a bit inconveinient as I have to move stuff from the office over to School of Music for storage today. A PITA to be sure - not the moving, the drizzle.

Ted? Ted?! Are you around this morning? Or are you too busy with the oncoming remnants of Katrina? Sound off to let us know you're OK when you get the chance, please.

Cheers!

Spencer

• Members

Actually, I've been off the last couple of days.

Our office doesn't have much to do with forecasting the position and strength of hurricanes. We do, but we don't...I'll explain...

The National Hurricane Center/Tropical Prediction Center in Miami is the nerve center. They monitor how the models are handling the storm track, modify the model output if necessary. It usually is necessary. Numerical models are prone to biases that a human forecaster can take into account and modify accordingly. The good thing about a hurricane is that you can start watching one days before it becomes a threat usually, and establish some sort of pattern as to how the different models are handling the situation.

The NHC does six hourly (sometimes more often) conference calls with other forecasting agencies and interests (like the Navy, etc.) where they compare notes on how everything is moving. Each agency gives their input as to where the hurricane is headed, strength, etc., and they're taken into account. Forecasts are issued. From there, the local Weather Forecast Office (WFO...probably Slidell, LA in this case) would become the focal point for issuing local warning statements.

Our job at the AWC is to take the forecast positions issued by NHC ...and using satellite imagery, issue SIGMETs (SIGnificant METeorological impact statements) for aircraft in the area, and a specific forecast for the area affected...but only as far as aviation interests are concerned. For example, we're not going to try to forecast a storm surge. Basically, in the simplest terms, we'll draw a line around the area and say "not a good idea to fly here". ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Base

I did so tell you! Took a few days off, been acting like a kid at Chessington
;)

Won't be on much until Friday, hope you're all well
:)

Chessington and you couldn't even tell me!! :mad: I LOVE CHESSINGTON!!!!!!!

Hope it was fun without me Base... I really do... :( :(

:D

• Members

Oh and wanted to pass something by you all...

Check out Here

and tell me what you think of the track called Clint as we have been working on it but its far from finished,its work in progress so to speak... Go to the Clint Lyrical demo at the top of the page with Fil Jones pic on it :p:D

• Members

Originally posted by Shars

Chessington and you couldn't even tell me!!
:mad:
I LOVE CHESSINGTON!!!!!!!

Hope it was fun without me Base... I really do...
:(
:(

:D

Sorry, it was a lastminute(.com) plan, they had cheap tickets...

Aside from a F'in' great big storm, did I miss anything??

• Members

'allo all.

Been using Harmony-Central for a million years for guitar stuff, finally decided I'd poke my head in the forums. Browsing threads and found this one (I can't resist random discussions and complete rubbish...or making fun of Spencer...yes, dear, it's Amanda, and it's all your fault for mentioning the forums here :p ) and have been cracking up since the first page.

Well you folks seem like a friendly, amusing bunch...what's good for a singer/guitarist/bodhr

• Members

Hi Amanda Branwyn...

Always good to have a Celtic folkie on board. As to stuff specific to your area of interest, just poke around 'til you find it. Often times it won't be on any one forum, but perhaps several.

The Debster and I just got back from the UK a couple months ago...we had a great time. We stayed mostly in the south, and actually got a chance to meet up with a few of the wacky UKers on this board...Sharsy and her husband and Base and his lovely ladyfriend.

Next I've got to venture up to Newfoundland and bug the crap outta Spencer. :D

• Members

Ha! You and me both...I just might be headed up to St. John's this fall, we shall see what the budget dictates.

Sounds like you had a great trip! I have a good friend from college over in the UK now, I'm hoping to visit her at the Uni of Exeter next year.

Thanks for the forum advice, I shall continue the pokeage!

• Members

Exeter was one of the fair cities we visited. You might poke on over to the Guitar Forum's "Cool Jam"...a gal called "She's Got Verve" just got back from Exeter and posted some cool pics of the Cathedral, the downtown area, Dartmoor and such.

It's a great little town (not really all that little...but not a big city by any stretch).

• Members

Guys

I have the second track up on Soundclick if you want to tell me what you think...especially comments by Offramp being a L42 nut like me as I think he'll love it and listen carefully Dave to the harmonies... ;)

Its work in progress but tell me what you think as its far far far away from finished...

Clonk Here

• Members

Jeez Amanda...I can't get clear of you at all?! :p:D

Amanda, Welcome to the absolute coolest place in cyberspace. You'll find that 99% of the folks here are as good as gold or better. Except for that "Tedster" dOOd - he's a big troll :D :D J/K, Tedster....

Hopefully, today I'll get a chance to sit down and listen to a couple of the tracks that have been posted. I'm currently compiling material for the new Ethnomusicology courses being taught here at MUN - a new program that's starting this Fall semester.

I'll be in and out all day....mentally speaking, of course.

Cheers!

Spencer

Archived