What happened to Ben Folds Five?

Rabid

• Members

A friend was going to see Ben Folds and was telling me that one of the new band members had back stage passes for him. He also said that Ben Folds Five no longer exists. I did stop by the web site and am a bit confused. No mention of why the band broke up. Then I noticed that there is a free MP3 to download. A Dr. Dre cover? That made me wonder, has he lost it?

Robert

• Members

Robert-

Ben Folds has done 2 studio albums since splitting with Darren Jesse and Robert Sledge, i.e. the "Five". I often miss the punk attitude of a 3 piece band, especially Sledge's fuzzed-out bass. A few years ago, I saw him with his new band and it had a much different vibe. Not better or worse, just different.

He certainly hasn't lost it. The punk edge faded but it's been supplanted by greater presence of irony and a mature soft side. (I'll forego a Randy Newman comparison...then again, I just made one.) His ballads are very strong, like "The Luckiest" and "Landed". You're probably never going to hear something like "Song for the Dumped" again but Folds has already been there, done that.

And thanks for the "heads up" about his tour. While I can't catch the current leg with his band, he'll be playing a solo date in my area on 10/30.

Archived