What's your #1

Howard VA

• Members

PRS Custom 22.:thu:

I waited 4 years for PRS to finally produce a run of lefty guitars and the wait was worth it.

It always feels great, plays great, and looks great. It isn't too heavy. The neck is just right. Even with tough competition from 2 Gibson Les Pauls, a Gibson Flying V (my favorite stage guitar), a Gibson SG, 3 Rickenbackers, 3 Strats, and 2 Teles, the PRS has always been my number 1.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

vnad:Your strat looks like one I picked up this past summer as a retirement gift. The only difference is that mine is in the silver/blue finish.

I liked the black shell pickguard so much on a strat, that I replaced my white pickguard on my vintage blonde G&L with a black shell pickguard. It transformed the guitar into a real looker.

• Members

These are the three that I play live with.

Yamaha Weddington Classic with Mighty Mite Motherbuckers.
I use it for D drop C tuning. Sounds like god.
WEDDINGTONCLASSIC.jpg

Xaviere XV500 with Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge and GFS Crunchy PAF in the neck. Used for Eb drop Db tuning. This thing has better tone than every LP I've ever played.
XV-500.jpg

Aria Pro II LC-550. Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and GFS Crunchy PAF in the neck. I use this for Eb drop Db as well as plain old Eb tunings. We play all our Tool covers down half a step, and this does Tool tone to a tee.
LC-55001.jpg

• Members
minus my pedal board, this is my gigging rig

uberkalis.jpg

I love those SGs (the Menace, right?) I could go a bundle on a lefty version with a set of Mean 90s and chrome hardware! Guess a Special would do that, but I love the knuckle duster inlay on that one.... :)

I don't really have a consistent number 1..... I've got about a dozen guitars, ranging from the expensive (relatively, in UK terms anyhow - a 1994 US Std Strat I bought new) to the cheap (again in UK terms - a couple of used guitars I bought for about GBP60 ea), via the mid price point. FWIW, I seem to enjoy mid price level guitars the most..... My current favourite is the CIJ 71RI Tele I bought in December, though what I'm presently playing most often is either the Steinberger Spirit I bought for a treavel guitar and have actually really taken to, or the Squier Rosewood Standard Stratocaster (that's the technical name for it, burst and tort guard, rosewood board..... I prefer maple but in VG used condition and for a third of the new price complete with an as-new Ritter gig bag, I wasn't complaining! Rosewood might be tonally better for my project, too...). Liked that Squier stock guts so much I transplanted them wholesale into another little strat copy I had around. As it sits at the minute, all electricals are stripped out, and I'm waiting for the weekend that I have the time to install an all new wiring and pots along with a set of GFS lipsticks. It sounds pretty damn good acoustically at the minute, actually (I've always loved the sound of an unplugged electric guitar for some reason - probably do more of my playing like that than any other way). Originally sounded a little thin (compared against the US Strat) - I think the cheap version of the two-post bridge that is on the Standard Squiers. Since I blocked it off though - wow, what a transformation. Great feeling neck, too, and I'm a sucker for that big CBS stock...... hell, that's half the attractiong of a HW1 for me (I do fancy one of those, now....).

Archived