Epiphone Les Paul jr. w/o p-90 Opinions

burton4snow

• Members

i had the humbucker junior...{censored}tiest guitar ever!!! i don't think the p90's are any different, but that's just speculation(i'm assuming it's the same guitar w/a diff pup). in fairness, a professional set up and perhaps changing the nut would have helped, but keeping it in tune was impossible. the money would probably be better spent on a squier or cheap ibanez. if your friend's just starting out, a crappy guitar will just frustrate him and prolong the learning process(or turn him off to playing entirely)...

• Members

i had the humbucker junior...{censored}tiest guitar ever!!! i don't think the p90's are any different, but that's just speculation(i'm assuming it's the same guitar w/a diff pup). in fairness, a professional set up and perhaps changing the nut would have helped, but keeping it in tune was impossible. the money would probably be better spent on a squier or cheap ibanez. if your friend's just starting out, a crappy guitar will just frustrate him and prolong the learning process(or turn him off to playing entirely)...

I have the humbucker junior as well but it definitely wasn't the {censored}tiest. I liked it better than a Epi LP Custom because 1) it is a flat top and doesn't bulge out like the Custom, 2) thought it only has one pickup, the tone control at 0 makes it sound like a neck pickup, so that's cool.

Though I do agree that the tuning heads are {censored}. Like, absolutely crappy...it's a hardware that no doubt has to be replaced. I changed it to the Gibson green type and it stays in tune well enough.

• Members

I love my Epi Junior with humbucker. I got mine from Guitar Center for $99.00. You definitely need to play the cheap Epiphones before buying. The quality varies drastically from one guitar to the next. Other then the crappy tuners mine is perfect and played great after being set up properly. The tuners are an easy fix. Just get new ones. I haven't changed mine out yet but as long as I play it in standard tuning it seems to stay in tune just fine. If I use drop D or try to tune down it won't stay in tune at all.

• Members

I saw this on ebay for anyone still interested. It costs more but it's new. I'm surprised no one's snatched it up already to be honest.

As I mentioned in my previous post it is not a good idea to buy a cheap Epiphone, Special or Junior, without being able to play it first. I tried a bunch of the Juniors before purchasing mine and most seem to have fret problems such as lose frets, high frets causing dead strings and even deep notches in some of the frets that the string will get stuck in. All not so easily fixed with just a setup. You just have to search until you find a good one.

• Members

I saw this on ebay for anyone still interested. It costs more but it's new. I'm surprised no one's snatched it up already to be honest.

my local GC has those for $99:confused:

(as in, {censored}~loads of those...)

• Members

My friend wants to buy a guitar and he only has access to Guitar Center and a 150-170 to spend. We looked for the Les Paul jr. w the p-90 and they were all sold out how is the one without it any good?

Doesn't he have internet access? I wouldn't get that guitar. Poor quality and you'd have to at least replace the pickup if you actually wanted some P90 tone. That amount of money will move you up a couple notches to a much better used guitar.

• Members

my local GC has those for $99:confused:

(as in, {censored}~loads of those...)

I really wanted a Jr. 90 and pretty much gave up looking when I couldn't find one for $99 online. I didn't even consider that Guitar Center might have them so thanks for that info. I'll be hitting up my local GC next pay. But I really feel for those who live too far away from those stores...that guitar seems like a sweet axe (for the money that is).

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Picked one up at my local GC yesterday for $80. I couldn't pass it up for that price. It's impossible to tune right now (nut is SUPER-CRAZY tall) and I'm not having any luck setting the intonation (the G is G# with everything else intonated perfectly!) and as mentioned, the tuners are crap,. . .BUT, it sound pretty freakin' awesome & the Vol. and Tone are very usable with a great range. The neck is fat & feels good in the hand, the frets are good for a cheap guitar & it's very light. For under $100, this is a pretty sick guitar!!!

• Members

When I was working at a local guitar store we never had much luck with the lower end Epiphones, mainly the Special II's and the Juniors. They fell out of tune immediately after tuning the things, I suppose they are good beginner guitars, but if the thing falls out of tune so fast it could actually discourage someone from even wanting to play. I suppose you get what you pay for, new machine heads and a new bridge might help a bit.

Archived