Most playable guitars?

mmmiddle

• Members

Of all the guitars you've ever owned, which were the most playable/comfortable (year and model please) and why? Which were the least?

For me it happens to be a Mexi Tele I still have, which I bought new from GC in 2003. After playing every tele on the floor, that particular one just felt right. What I noticed later is that the fretboard on it has a very slight convex curve to it, and the frets are very smooth and low.

The least comfortable guitar was an Epiphone SG Special that my parents gave me for Christmas when I was just out of high school. It had sharp fret-ends so if you even slid your hands up the neck you'd get scratched.

My regular guitar now is a Gibson SG Special which I think is average in terms of playability. The neck-heaviness of SGs is a little problem.

• Members

BC Rich USA Mockingbird deluxe. I remember my first time playing with a band of much more experienced musicians I had my Mockingbird and blew them all away. The other guitarist commented "any thing you play on that sound good" and it is true and you cam play anything. really does seem to play by itself! They were so impressed the event was recorded on film!

• Members

the best guitars I've played were a Fender MIM strat I used to have and an Agile AL-2500 Goldtop that I also used to own.

And why don't you have them anymore?

The most comfortable guitar I've ever played, is a toss-up between a PRS McCarty 24 and a Fender Custom Shop 57 Strat.

• Members

I have four Peavey Odysseys. They are as good as it gets to me. Ebony is my favorite fret board.

I also had an early 60's Firebird with P90's and an ebony board. That thing played like a dream, until it died in my brother's house fire.

And My Nighthawk Custom plays great(ebony again)and fits so well and is very ergonomically put together.

• Members

Most comfortable:

1978 Peavey T-60. Some say they're too heavy, but I haven't had an issue with it. Very thin neck, also, which some people don't like.

Least:

Schecter Ultra III. Loved everything about it, but that son of a bitch must weigh 50 pounds.

• Members

BC Richs and Jacksons. Most playable necks with best overall fit to body for me.

for some reason the BC Rich neck just didn't feel right to me. Not bad, totally a preference thing. That said, it felt different from other necks, and I can see how it would be perfect for some.

On the other hand, I totally agree about the Jackson neck.

• Members

I'd have to give it to my Blueshawk for playability....and not cuz its for sale...its nice and light, well balanced, the necks is super fast, and the P-90s with electronics give it super tone.

I think mostly because how well balanced it is.

Archived