Are people using a Mac living on a Island?

• Members

franknputer sez---------->Brucie - not to scare you or anything, but after you do Software Update, it's also a good practice to do this: Look in the Applications folder for the Utility folder; inside there, find Disk Utility. Run that; you will see a window showing the hard drives in your computer (I assume you have more than 1?) Select the one that has OS X installed on it (i.e. not your audio drive) and click "Fix Permissions". This will run for a minute or two - it's a good tool to clean up with after installations/upgrades.

where02190 sez------------>It's actually called repair permissions, and it's a good idea to run that once a week or so, as we did desktop rebuilds and PRAM zaps in OS9.

Applications-utilities-disc utility.

Brucie sez----------->Thank you!!! Thank you!!! I really appreciate your help...

Actually I have three Macs. They are probably all three messed up... The one that runs my Pro-Stools is dedicated to that purpose only. I'll try your suggestions and get back to you...

I'm not totally Computer illiterate.(Pretty close though!) If it wasn't for this forum, and you people that really know this stuff, I would not be able to make Mp3's. Now I make them all the time and love 'em!!!

Brucie the Platinum Viking!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

• Members

I have had cases where creating a new user helped alot, even after the permissions problems are fixed. Last ditch, but worth a try if for no other reason than troubleshooting.

When 10.1.x was out, I had lots of little weird things happen, but since 10.3.x, I have had nearly nothing not work correctly.

• Members

Originally posted by amplayer

In Mac OS X, just right click on a file in the finder and select "Create archive of". If you only have the dumb Apple one button mouse, you can use Control click to get the same effect as right clicking.

Using "Create archive of" creates a zip file that is readable on just about all computer thingies.

QFT

Lots of people overlook this excellent feature of OSX.

• Members

where02190 sez---------->Hey where says to bruce if you have issues with drives (other than the system drive) use repair disk. In order to repair the system disc you must boot from your OS disc, and run disk utilities from that.

It's a good idea to do this once a month or so.

Brucie sez to where--------->I did what you and frankenputer said to do with Disk Utility - and.....Holy Cow!!! Many things were ca-ca. I fixed all the disk repair permisions! It worked!!! Thanks...

I am running all three of my Macs with Panther 10.3.2 Is that OK? It seems to be fine...

Anyway thanks a lot for your kind help....

Bruce Swedien

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Members

Bruce, on all 3 of your Macs, from the finder, go to Apple-software update, and run the software update on all of them.

It'll probably take some time, as I guess you've probably never done it, but it will update all core Mac apps as well as your OS to the lastest (and last) Panther version, and your machines will be in tip top shape.

In addition, go to system preferences-software updates, and set it to check for updates weekly.

• Members

where02190 sez----------->Bruce, on all 3 of your Macs, from the finder, go to Apple-software update, and run the software update on all of them.

It'll probably take some time, as I guess you've probably never done it, but it will update all core Mac apps as well as your OS to the lastest (and last) Panther version, and your machines will be in tip top shape.

In addition, go to system preferences-software updates, and set it to check for updates weekly.

Brucie sez----------->I only have one of my Macs hooked up to the internet. I don't want any more doo-doo in my Macs than absoolutely necessary. Can I put the new stuff on a CD and then import it into my other two Macs???

My Macs are:

#1-No internet - A G4 Macintosh G4/800d 800 meg - 1 gigabyte RAM with:

An Apple 22

• Members

Bruce, unlike Windows, Macs are not subject to "doo doo" such as virus'. Since Macs make up a very small percentage of the computer users, virus writers and hackers don't bother to target them. You are very safe connecting all your macs to the internet. We keep ours online 24/7/365, and have for 10 years with no issues whatsoever.

You can burn the dl files to disc I think, however, I suspect that for at least some of them, the computer may need internet access to complete the installs.

• Members

Phil O'Keefe sez--------->Speaking of hurricanes, how did you hold up through Wilma Bruce? I hope everything survived the storm okay.

Brucie sez------------>Philla-Dilla, you are the greatest! Thanks for your concern. Everything's fine.....

However, we are feeling the effects of Wilma mainly today - (Monday 10-25-05) - Winds of 40 or 50 and our power was off for about four hours. (That may have been a bunch of my neighbors cows standing on the power line. Or my other neighbors 4,000 pound BULL not letting the repair crew in the pasture to get at the wires.... - Life in the country...)

I'll talk to you soon.....

Brucie the Viking!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

• Members

where02190 sez---------->Bruce, unlike Windows, Macs are not subject to "doo doo" such as virus'. Since Macs make up a very small percentage of the computer users, virus writers and hackers don't bother to target them. You are very safe connecting all your macs to the internet. We keep ours online 24/7/365, and have for 10 years with no issues whatsoever.

You can burn the dl files to disc I think, however, I suspect that for at least some of them, the computer may need internet access to complete the installs.

Brucie sez---------->Thanks, man..... Actually my Pro-Tools rig is fine - I am more than a bit out of date there anyway.... and will be going to a new system as soon as I have a bit of a break in my studio schedule.

My Macintosh PowerBook 1400cs/166 - hard disk & CD-ROM- is very easy to hook up to the internet. I'll do that....

Thanks again...

Bruce Swedien

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Archived