why are guitarists so "stuck in the past?"

jjpistols

• Members

Adults are to popular music as todlers are to bedtime stories: They like to hear the same thing over and over again. The familiarity is comforting. Most people are stuck listening to the music they heard in their teens and 20's. And they don't particularly
want
to expand their horizons.

sounds exactly like my dad. me, i get new music like every week. past AND present stuff.

hey frets, you went back to your old avatar.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The catalogue of great rock 'n roll is HUGE. Finding current, new great rock 'n roll takes time, money plus trial and error.

Everthing else I do in my life is with an eye on the future. I'll stick with what I already know to be great when it comes to music.

• Members

Romance > reality

In art, romance often = reality.

It's not like we are inventing new notes or new modes to express ourselves.

And anger, lust, love, sadness, hope are as old as our species.

A lot of it is comfort with the familiar...

Sometimes chainsaw guitars and vocals on the edge of puking are just what is needed to shake us up! :phil:

• Members

Adults are to popular music as todlers are to bedtime stories: They like to hear the same thing over and over again. The familiarity is comforting. Most people are stuck listening to the music they heard in their teens and 20's. And they don't particularly
want
to expand their horizons.

Too true. I think adults use music to remind themselves of a place and time. Many old people don't like to grow old. They are afraid of growing old. Their music takes them back to a time when they were younger and less pathetic.

It no longer becomes an intelectual stimulant. It becomes a refection of good times long past.

• Members

Too true. I think adults use music to remind themselves of a place and time. Many old people don't like to grow old. They are afraid of growing old. Their music takes them back to a time when they were younger and less pathetic.

It no longer becomes an intelectual stimulant. It becomes a refection of good times long past.

Ia the history of music, *anything* from the rock and roll era is not long past.

• Members

new bands are retarded.

Every band on MTV is a bunch of gimps in girls pants with "stylish" (read: retarded looking) haircuts singing and whining and yelling, with a bunch of sterile guitar riffs. The result is 40 scene kids running to guitar center to "Shred" on the same lespaul those goons from My Chemical Romance play on TV......

......speaking of. New bands have stupid names too. "BEtween the buried and me", "My Chemical Romance", "Panic at the Disco".........theyre a bunch of whiney high school graduates trying to sound poetic. The voice of MY generation sucks, so Ill turn back 20 years and use that voice instead.

Or how about Nickleback. If you play that whole CD with no pause between songs, it sounds like one continuous horrible song......

And ditto on the b a n a n a s comment.

oh and we all love the cockrock bands that show up on stage with Gretsch setzer models to play drop D powerchords with a Metalzone pedal. Its like they saw ted nugent once on TV and went totally retarded. "HES GOT A HOLLOWBODY, HES SO METAL!!!! OOOOO" Yeah, no.

and then kids go have their mommy buy them 5000$ worth of crap so they can start a band just like the ones on MTV. Result? Noise pollution

blah

• Members

Just checking out the MP3s on my computer: The only artists on there who released their first album post-1990 are: The Darkness, Creed/Alter Bridge, Pearl Jam and Brad Paisley. Well Velvet Revolver, but they're really a spin-off of GnR, so there ya go.

I'd much rather listen to some old VH, AC/DC, Bad Co, Zep, Clapton, Maiden, or Priest than any of the newer stuff.

• Members

Well, I'll bite.

I'll be DAMNED if I try to sound like some of the guys before me...

I'd rather wank on my wiggle-stick and play my deal.

If you don't like it, or it isn't "woman" enough for you, {censored} YOU!

That's how I feel.

So many idiots, so little talent!

• Members

forget about the stagnation of the record industry for a bit

what about gear?

living in the past again
;)

{censored}, they just got it right in the 50's didn't they?!

1951 to 1960 or so..

Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, Fender PBass, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Flying V, Gibson Explorer, Gibson SG, Marshall amps..

I mean WOW.. Its just going to take one HUGE innovation to move forward.. Everything we play these days is just a variation on the classics..

Until there is a mind blowing new form of music, I can't see any required innovation, all the music being played now is just rehash of the last 50 years.

Same goes for fashion.. when was the last time you saw something 'now' as opposed to 'oh look, the 60's is back.... again...'.

Stagnant times.. Need another world war to stir it up..

Archived