why are guitarists so "stuck in the past?"

jjpistols

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because, imo, the most innovation and truly unique music came out of the past. The new styles of music have no holding value. Who's gonna listen to "This s*** is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!" in 20 years. THere's a plethora of flavor-of-the-month type dealies.

• Members

The past is a history lesson. The funny thing is, with Fender, Gibson, Ric, Gretsch and all the other dreamy collectibles from the past, these companies seemed to have gotten it right the first time.

The past is for me, Hearing Jeff Beck the First time with Rod Stewart on Beckola. Such classic guitar tone being invented. Eric Clapton with Cream. More Classic tone.

Yah! I'm stuck in the past.

I think all the hot guitarists of today are too. They just got their own spin on their thing.

• Members

One of my favorite writers said:

"Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can never learn anything from history."

George Bernard Shaw

He also said:

"Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough."

George Bernard Shaw

Can't help but like this guy...lol

• Members

To me,I get sick and tired of hearing about hearing the newest "american idol" winner.

Also I think a lot of music today really has no soul. And the hip-hop or rap music is usually about how many "Ho's" somebody has or what gang activity they are on about.

I am sorry, that is just not for me. I don't care if it IS popular or not. Like Bob Seger said....

''Just take those old records off the shelf

Ill sit and listen to em by myself

Todays music aln't got the same soul

I like that old time rock n roll !!!!""

That goes DOUBLE for me!!

• Members

I think (and this may be a drift from the original thrust of J.J.s very valid post)

the suits that run the music biz today have found out how to steer the boat in the direction that will make them the most money. This cuts off nearly all of the real "artists" from the main stream. Thank god for the internet as those of us who want to look for interesting material can find it. It's the general (casual if you will) listener that is really at a loss for "good or newer material"

As for guitarists: I think JJ is right. I'm always drifting back to the stuff that was "hot" when I was growing up. I do think this keeps me from finding new and unstale paths musically. Now add that to the fact that I'm now a guitar teacher and it becomes even worse for me. At this point (with a two year oldat home and a wife of 17 years who has a very good job ) mu only real time with my guitar is face to face with my students. It really does get stale.

BUT there is no feeling for me like the look on a kids face when they "get" something and that light goes on and they start to sound like a "guitarist"

Thats all the Present or future I need right now.

But yeah.... JJ's kinda right I think.:blah::blah::blah:

• Members

I think (and this may be a drift from the original thrust of J.J.s very valid post)

the suits that run the music biz today have found out how to steer the boat in the direction that will make them the most money. This cuts off nearly all of the real "artists" from the main stream. Thank god for the internet as those of us who want to look for interesting material can find it. It's the general (casual if you will) listener that is really at a loss for "good or newer material"

As for guitarists: I think JJ is right. I'm always drifting back to the stuff that was "hot" when I was growing up. I do think this keeps me from finding new and unstale paths musically. Now add that to the fact that I'm now a guitar teacher and it becomes even worse for me. At this point (with a two year oldat home and a wife of 17 years who has a very good job ) mu only real time with my guitar is face to face with my students. It really does get stale.

BUT there is no feeling for me like the look on a kids face when they "get" something and that light goes on and they start to sound like a "guitarist"

But yeah.... JJ's kinda right I think.
:blah::blah::blah:

You guys are sayin' the tail is waggin' the dog? Been happenin' for quite a while now. That is why modern music is the cesspool that it is. The masses can't hear good music because of the pablum pop they are being fed. Corporate radio and I do mean corporate stifles new music. When someone does come along that is groundbreaking, they run them into the ground and clone so many "alike" bands that the original artist becomes a parody of himself over a short period of time.

• Members

But yeah.... JJ's kinda right I think.
:blah::blah::blah:

I agree with the problem being that not many decent artists are on mainstream radio right now. And the majority of the population or "casual" listeners are usually listening to what is being "fed"to them by the big four record companies....but just because they say that something is hip...doesn't mean I have to act stupid and swallow it hook, line and sinker.

The last modern decent group that was really worth listening to for me was called poets of the fall and I only was introduced to them through a song that came on at the end of a game I was playing. The song was called "Late Goodbye" and was at the end of Max Payne 2...a PC game. And even then, I found out they were NOT an amereican group...they were in the Neitherlands. And the guys had just come together to make that one song for the game, they were not even a group...just a bunch of musicians that got together to make a song...but they got so much praise for it they created a group and last I heard, were selling out stadiums in the Neitherlands. But to tell you the truth, I do not see that kind of talent come along all the time.

So I think you are right....the junk most mainstream radio plays now is partly to blame for the decline in people wanting to listen to new music. You have to remember that in the 60's and 70's mainstream radio was playing all the stuff we now call "oldies" or "classics".

• Members

IMO, it's a form following function thing. The sound of "modern" guitar was built on the failure of early electric guitar equipment to deliver what it was designed to: an auditorium-filling acoustic or Hawaiian guitar sound. The distortion, sustain, feedback, etc. that we all love were simply accidents. Compare how bass players have embrace solid state, or, far more extreme, look at how keyboardists have taken to technology. To modernize the electric guitar is, in essence to abandon it. Without radically different equipment, we will continue to tread familiar ground.

• Members

I'd say charitably that even the best and most innovative musicians are using 80-90% recycled content. Music develops incrementally and everyone borrows huge amounts from the music they love.

More to the point, it's a lot easier to learn to copy something fairly well than it is to come up with something worthy of being copied by the next generation.

If you're asking why guitarists are so stuck on Clapton-style blues-rock and classic rock in general, which seems to be the case, I don't know.

• Members

The last modern decent group that was really worth listening to for me was called poets of the fall and I only was introduced to them through a song that came on at the end of a game I was playing. The song was called "Late Goodbye" and was at the end of Max Payne 2...a PC game. And even then, I found out they were NOT an amereican group...they were in the Neitherlands. And the guys had just come together to make that one song for the game, they were not even a group...just a bunch of musicians that got together to make a song...but they got so much praise for it they created a group and last I heard, were selling out stadiums in the Neitherlands. But to tell you the truth, I do not see that kind of talent come along all the time.

Um, Poets of the Fall are actually Finnish and there's no such country as NeItherlands..hell, that sounds like a place Michael Jackson might own. :D

Good band though, not a huge fan of the singer's voice but the guitar work is rather nice.

Like Dujo said, all music has a background in the stuff written earlier. People then add their own twist to it and make it their own. At the same time we of course have the artists who don't add anything but just recycle the same stuff and fade away as soon as the next big thing comes on the scene.

And it's certainly not like the best music was written in the 60s or 70s like some say. Some great music was written then just like some great music is written now. If you can't find music written in the 90s or 2000s that you like, then have you considered that the problem might be you and not the music?

One of my current favorite bands, Mew, had their first album out in 2003 and it's brilliant. With only two albums out, they've already received a place in my top ten list. One of their songs is playing on the radio and they even showed one of their gigs on Finnish TV.

Archived