why are guitarists so "stuck in the past?"

jjpistols

• Members

Who said anything about ignoring the past? Looking at the closest pile of cds to me as I type it contains music from the 60s, 70s,80s,90s, hell, even a couple of releases from last month!

There's some great music from the past. But theres also some great music which is being made right now as we type---by some real, live, non past-it musicians
:thu:

Well there is also music being made today by musicians that have also made music in the past and have hit it huge. I would say they are also "real,live and NON PAST IT musicians!" So it goes both ways.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well there is also music being made today by musicians that have also made music in the past and have hit it huge. I would say they are also "real,live and NON PAST IT musicians!" So it goes both ways.

Of course it goes both ways. Thats my whole point! Saying that there are have been no great bands since Led Zeppelin is, frankly, a load of close minded nonsense.

Sam

• Members

Of course it goes both ways. Thats my whole point! Saying that there are have been no great bands since Led Zeppelin is, frankly, a load of close minded nonsense.

Sam

And acting like old music has nothing to offer is equally as bad!

• Members

outside of gj nobody really talks about them anymore

They will talk about those players Clapton

Page

SRV

Knopfler

Gilmour

Hendrix LONG after they are dead and buried. I would like to see how newer artists will fare.

• Members

If your mind is that closed, I actually feel sorry for you . Seriously.

Sam

I just say that to my friends because they try to make me like emo and i just dont. I gave it a chance but i cant stand it. I can't see the point of listening to music i dont like very much instead of music I do like. If listening to music I do like and not listening to music i dont like makes me close minded than there are alot of close minded people. I give every thing a chance before i say i dolnt like it. A person cant help what they like it is just in them.

Also what band since Zeppelin has been as big as Zeppelin or The Beatles or The Who?

• Members

I just say that to my friends because they try to make me like emo and i just dont. I gave it a chance but i cant stand it. I can't see the point of listening to music i dont like very much instead of music I do like. If listening to music I do like and not listening to music i dont like makes me close minded than there are alot of close minded people. I give every thing a chance before i say i dolnt like it. A person cant help what they like it is just in them.

Also what band since Zeppelin has been as big as Zeppelin or The Beatles or The Who?

U2

Like them or not, they fit into that legendary status.

• Members

The reason that guitarists are "stuck in the past" is because it is not possible to listen to music from the future.
:eek:

Dude, Wyld Stallions :thu:

*meedleymeedleymeedleymeeeeeeee*

On a more serious note, there are few bands who have been as "big" as Zeppelin, or The Beatles, or the Who. I would argue that U2, REM, and The Clash have come pretty close to that level of status---but frankly, playing stadiums and selling albums does NOT equate to being good.

There was a whole load of great music in the sixties and seventies (and eighties and nineties, and fifties, forties, the eighteenth century, etc etc). We should listen to the old stuff. We should learn from it. But we should also listen (and learn from) to the new stuff thats out there right now, because some of it is absolutely phenomenal.

Disregarding music because of the date it was recorded as opposed to what it sounds like is just {censored}ing stupid.

Sam

• Members

U2

Like them or not, they fit into that legendary status.

I dont feel they do fit into legendary status. There songs arn't that inventive, they all sound the same to me. I think Bono's voice makes them all sound the same. And people always say that they do such good things for the world, witch is true, but that doesn't make the music better. Ill give you that they are good, even though i dont like them, but if your saying they are on the same level as Zeppelin or The Beatles your crazy.

• Members

Thats how I feel about Led Zeppelin...
:thu:

Sam

The you must have never given Zeppelin a chance. i have listened to as much U2 as i can find just to see what all the fuss is about. Im not saying they arnt good just not great. And to say all zeppelin Song are the same is just ignorant, and not ignorant in the ghetto sence i mean it as its proper definition. Zeppelin play every thing from old delt blues to chicago blues, bluegrass, celtic folk, american folk, and even arabian and indian music. I've given U2 a chance its the least you could do for Zep.

• Members

I dont feel they do fit into legendary status. There songs arn't that inventive, they all sound the same to me. I think Bono's voice makes them all sound the same. And people always say that they do such good things for the world, witch is true, but that doesn't make the music better. Ill give you that they are good, even though i dont like them, but if your saying they are on the same level as Zeppelin or The Beatles your crazy.

What? You think you alone decides who gets to be legendary and who not? Ha! I don't think U2 trumps Zeppelin either. And whoever said that U2 is a pop band, well technically so are the Beatles. So what! Pop rock is really just short for popular rock and so was Zep in their day.

We could argue for days on whether U2 deserves their legendary and Iconic status, but they have it just the same. I never said I thought they deserved to be in that company, but they are in the elite few whether they deserve it or not. I like Zep and Jimmy Page a lot better than most bands and guitarists. I know the edge is not all that technical for guitar wizardry, but neither were George or John. But for song writing, the Beatlles slay everybody.

I love Jimmy Page, but as much as I love his signature riffing, Ritchie Blackmore was the one innovating while Page was stealing. True Story. I don't care, I still like Pagey the best!

The point was rock 'n' roll bands that have reached that pinnacle of legendary status. Pop rock, Hard Rock, Beattles or Zep is all under the umbrella of rock. U2 has reached Iconic status worldwide, you can look up the statistics. It's a fact. I'm no fanboy of U2, but I do know what they have achieved. I don't even care, but it is what it is.

:wave:

• Members

I forgot to ask why Pink Floyd doesn't rate in your little universe?

Actualy i tend to forget about Pink Floyd just because im not realy a big gan of them. Having said that i do thing they are one of the greatest bands of all time. Just because i dont like them doesn't mean i dont recognise their greatness, its just not my style.

Also i agree with you Meaning of the word "pop". "Pop" is an umbrella term that pretty much means all music other than classical and hymns.

You asked who i am to decide who gets to be legendary or not, and your right im no one. I was simply saying that they arn't on the same level as the great bands of the 60's and 70's. Im not even saying they arnt Iconic. But i dont feel they are legendary, not in the way that The Beatles, Zeppelin or Floyd are any way.

• Members

"Hi, and welcome to the future. San Dimas, California, 2688. And I'm telling you, everything is great. The air is clean. The water is clean. Even the dirt... is clean. Bowling averages are way up. Mini-golf scores are way down. And we have more waterslides than any other planet we communicate with. I'm telling you, it's great. But it almost wasn't. You see, 700 years ago the Two Great Ones ran into a few problems."

billnted.jpg

"So now I must travel back in time to help them out. If I should fail to keep these two on the correct path, the basis of our society will be in danger. Don't worry. It'll make sense. I'm a professional."

• Members

Also i agree with you Meaning of the word "pop". "Pop" is an umbrella term that pretty much means all music other than classical and hymns.

Is brutal death core grind thrash i-eat-kittens metal pop, then?

Archived