So Am I the only GAS Idiot that jumped on the Ltd Ed. Wildkat Blowout?

GAS Man

• Members

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Wildcat-?sku=519384

I played one once briefly at a GC and wasn't overly impressed (so why did he order one :freak: ), well because I've wanted a semi hollow with P-90s and I'm thinking if I follow the advice of some reviews I've read to restring it with 11s and try backing the volume off a bit, it might be pretty sweet. And I figure, for $350, I should be able to find it a new home if it don't work out.

Any other suckers out there besides me?

Is there love out there for Wildkats besides Tbonehead?

338616.jpg

• Members
Why does it have a metal thong plate on the headstock?

Good question. It sorta looks like the start of a bottle cap opener that wasn't quite finished. I think if I keep it, I'll replace it with a fully functioning bottle cap opener. :thu:

• Members

The metal on the headstock is a repo of early Epiphones. I seen that Gibson bought a old Epiphone collection from a individual seller that had 37 piece's/ A few of them had the same headstock as the one pictured here. Same metal piece attached. I think they are a cool guitar. For $350. you can't beat them.

• Members

I've had my eye on 'em too. Incredible deal for $350. I have an Alleykat, and it's a super guitar. I may swap out the pups but otherwise it's excellent. The only thing though, it doesn't have a whammy bar. That's why I need to get a Wildkat. :D

• Members

I had an Alleycat for a while. Nice build quality but the electronics were lame.
Very muddy and dark sounding. I had to not only swap out the pots but also the pickups. Then I ended up swapping it for an Agile Cool Cat Prestige straight up. The Cool Cat sounded great right out of the box and had a Bigsby and roller bridge. Ebony board and gold plated hardware too.

• Members
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Wildcat-?sku=519384

I played one once briefly at a GC and wasn't overly impressed (so why did he order one
:freak:
), well because I've wanted a semi hollow with P-90s and I'm thinking if I follow the advice of some reviews I've read to restring it with 11s and try backing the volume off a bit, it might be pretty sweet. And I figure, for $350, I should be able to find it a new home if it don't work out.

Any other suckers out there besides me?

Is there love out there for Wildkats besides Tbonehead?

338616.jpg

Pretty good deal. I usually play those when I see them hanging on the racks. They are fun guitars.

• Members
Good question. It sorta looks like the start of a bottle cap opener that wasn't quite finished. I think if I keep it, I'll replace it with a fully functioning bottle cap opener.
:thu:

Can't you use the Bigsby for that? :confused:;)

Actually, there were some early (pre-Gibby buyout iirc) Epi's with that headstock logo, so there's historical precedent for it.

At any rate, if I had any money at all I'd be all over that deal like white on rice. I think the Wildkat with it's smaller body size would be perfect for a vertically challenged person such as myself. As it is, though I intended not to buy any gitboxes this year, I recently stuck my toe in the semi-hollow pool with this odd li'l cheapie thinline bolt-on:

419396776_8ba65ee8cc.jpg

Ran across it in a pawn for a C-note, but I wouldn't be able to swing the $350 for the Wildkat this year. :(

Archived