New Gibson Les Paul - Classic or Standard

Dragonsoni

• Members

I know I posted in another thread about questionable QC for Gibson but going to by one anyway.

Which one.

Gibson Standard $2000.00 Burstbuckers PROs (50's or 60's neck?)

Gibson Classic (aka 1960) $1800.00 500T & 496R pick-ups

I was told the Standard has upgraded hardware and that both guitars have different mountings for the Tone-Pros and Bridge (screw in on Classics and Studs on Standards) but I can't tell buy looking at them.

I tend to prefer heavier music but I love a tube amp with slight break up as well.

Thanks for any advice.:lol:

• Members

If you like heavier music then I'd go with the Classic - it's got ceramic pickups.

The standard will get you more of a classic rock sound, whereas the Classic will give you a more modern sound.

I'm debating between getting a Standard Faded or a Classic.

Make sure you post pictures once you get your new axe!

• Members

If you want a '50s neck (try and play one before you decide) then Standard.

If you want a Flame top then Standard.

If you want some thing geared more towards classic rock then Standard.

If you want something geared towards more Hi gain stuff with a 60's neck, then Classic.

If you want a plain top, then Classic.

That is of course assuming you dont want to change pickups, in which case, other than cosmetics and neck profile, no real difference.

• Members

I know I posted in another thread about questionable QC for Gibson but going to by one anyway.

Which one.

Gibson Standard $2000.00 Burstbuckers 1 & 2 pick-ups (50's or 60's neck?)

Gibson Classic (aka 1960) $1800.00 500T & 496R pick-ups

I was told the Standard has upgraded hardware and that both guitars have different mountings for the Tone-Pros and Bridge (screw in on Classics and Studs on Standards) but I can't tell buy looking at them.

I tend to prefer heavier music but I love a tube amp with slight break up as well.

Thanks for any advice.
:lol:

The Classics suck unless you get a pre 93. If you like fake florecent inlays, go for it. :freak:

A Standard is the only way to go. Buy used.

• Members

What about the Classic Antique? '57 pickups, flametop, $1999. Not sure about other differences-just worth a look.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I ain't that easy dude!

It's Classic or Standard or Classic Antique!

Personally, I think I'd want the Classic Antique since I have a pref for vintage tones and can add gain with my amp or pedals.

But if you want to think of it as "how hard do I want to rock?"

It would be

Classic Antique

Standard

Classic

With the Classic being the crunchiest tone. More focused and harmonics but less sweet on the cleans.

Archived