How many Gibson owners use Gibson strings?

moestock

• Members

If you want the gibson tone you gotta use gibson strings, my friend told me he put fender strings on his Gibson les paul and it sounded like a strat. You can't take shortcuts, only a gibson is good enough

You believe that?

I put D'Addario's on my Gibson and sure enough, it sounds awfully Gibson like. Considering that very few professional players that play Gibson use Gibson strings, I'd say the Gibson sound is defined by strings that aren't Gibson.

That being said, no I have not used and will not use Gibson strings on my guitar. They don't make sets in .012 gauge.

• Members

You believe that?

I put D'Addario's on my Gibson and sure enough, it sounds awfully Gibson like. Considering that very few professional players that play Gibson use Gibson strings, I'd say the Gibson sound is defined by strings that aren't Gibson.

That being said, no I have not used and will not use Gibson strings on my guitar. They don't make sets in .012 gauge.

i'm pretty sure that's sarcasm ;)

i started with d'addarios then made a switch to elixirs on acoustic. ever since then i've been too afraid to venture outside my elixir bubble. they just last forever. atleast until you break em. bright tone on them... though i'm gonna try vintage nickels one of these days... heard good things about them.

• Members
i'm pretty sure that's sarcasm
;)

i started with d'addarios then made a switch to elixirs on acoustic. ever since then i've been too afraid to venture outside my elixir bubble. they just last forever. atleast until you break em. bright tone on them... though i'm gonna try vintage nickels one of these days... heard good things about them.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure he was being sarcastic. I ran into a couple his other posts where he was saying how Epiphones sustain for days and that Gibsons are crap because they don't sustain (??). There was another post where some guy was talking about his semi-hollow feeding back with distortion. He recommended flatwound strings and a Boss Metal Zone claiming that the flatwounds would give the best cleans and the metal zone would give mesa type distortion

• Members

I converted to the nickel wound vintage gibson strings, and I have not looked back, sound killer with my Les Paul. Bright wires are crap though, but I love the vintage nickels.

That's why I put the nickel LPs on my SGs and LP. The BriteWires aren't really crap but their "tone" doesn't suit those guitars for some reason. The do sound good on my Firebird with mini-hums though. Go figure.

-Ron

Archived