Ugly but Good (world's best monitors?)

Brittanylips

• Members

Check out these new monitors from ATC on HC

IMHO, Billy Woodman / ATC builds the world's most accurate speakers. Billy Woodman is the genius behind the designs and obsesses over every detail, constantly improving his speakers and pushing the envelope.

I don't see them winning any beauty contest anytime soon, but damn, these things are good. Painfully accurate. Minimal distortion.

I think that ATCs are more widely used in England/Europe than the US, but you do see them in the US from time to time (e.g. Sony mastering, Warner Bros Burbank, Lenny Kravitz, etc).

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

The best sounding, non-custom designed / built (IOW, commercially available) mains I have ever heard in my life, bar none:

ADAM S6A Mk II's

s6a.jpg

Please be sitting down when you inquire about the price (IIRC, they're about twice as expensive as those ATC's, which BTW, I have NOT heard yet), but man they sound GREAT! :thu:

http://www.adam-audio.com

• Members

Seeing as she's totally cool and y'all should be together, I'll just stick that JPG on my computer desktop instead and pretend like I'm mixing through a pair of 'em!!! :D

Seriously, I can't complain about nuttin' at all. I've got a pair of the small ADAMs and am getting a sound that brings a smile to my face. In other words, I am damn lucky and never take it for granted!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

The best sounding, non-custom designed / built (IOW, commercially available) mains I have ever heard in my life, bar none:

ADAM S6A Mk II's

s6a.jpg

Please be sitting down when you inquire about the price (IIRC, they're about twice as expensive as those ATC's, which BTW, I have NOT heard yet), but
man they sound GREAT!
:thu:

http://www.adam-audio.com

Yeah... but they look like something you'd find hooked up to the 8 track player in a Mexican taxi in the 1970s... you know, with the 'color organ' built in?

:D

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

Yeah... but they look like something you'd find hooked up to the 8 track player in a Mexican taxi in the 1970s... you know, with the 'color organ' built in?

Why a Mexican Taxi?? Are you being racist here? UH??.............................

Just kidding bro!! :D I was playing Jesse Jackson!! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

ADAM S6A Mk II's

Please be sitting down when you inquire about the price (IIRC, they're about twice as expensive as those ATC's, which BTW, I have NOT heard yet), but
man they sound GREAT!
:thu:

ATC's higher-end monitors, e.g. the larger, uglier 300ASLs, are $42,000, and you can spend even more than that putting together an entire ATC system!

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison between ATC and ADAM (I use ATCs for my mains, and have done some A/B with other brands), but i wouldn't be surprised if the upshot was that at the high end, the Adams sounded better, the ATCs were more transparent, more ruthlessly stethescopic.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Members

Originally posted by ViLo

Why a Mexican Taxi?? Are you being racist here? UH??.............................

... Just kidding bro!!
I was playing Jesse Jackson!!

Vicente, I'll admit it's been a few years since I've been in a taxi in Mexico -- but I'll never forget the elaborate 8 track rig in the front of a Tres Estrellas bus I took from Tijuana to Calexico... the road that runs along the northern border there is a winding, two lane affair, complete with lurching farm trucks and precipitous drops into canyons and valleys far below.

Right under his equally elaborate shrine to the Virgin (complete with eternally smoking incense) was a big ol home 8 track stereo unit -- complete with randomly glowing red, green and blue color organ lights -- blasting nortenas and banda music.

As we careened up and down the winding mountain road, I was in a perfect position to see the driver guiding the bus full of travellers (and caged chickens) with his knee as he sipped coffee and flipped through his 8 track tapes...

Ah, Mexico. I love that place... but it can be a wee bit scary sometimes.

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

Vicente, I'll admit it's been a few years since I've been in a taxi in Mexico -- but I'll never forget the elaborate 8 track rig in the front of a Tres Estrellas bus I took from Tijuana to Calexico... the road that runs along the northern border there is a winding, two lane affair, complete with lurching farm trucks and precipitous drops into canyons and valleys far below.

Right under his equally elaborate shrine to the Virgin (complete with eternally smoking incense) was a big ol home 8 track stereo unit -- complete with randomly glowing red, green and blue color organ lights -- blasting nortenas and banda music.

As we careened up and down the winding mountain road, I was in a perfect position to see the driver guiding the bus full of travellers (and caged chickens) with his knee as he sipped coffee and flipped through his 8 track tapes...

Ah, Mexico. I love that place... but it can be a wee bit scary sometimes.

They have CD and mp3 players now , and no chickens allowed :D;)

Yeah! My Mexico I wish a can go back and stay.....:love:

• Members

Yah... that's what happens when your car-12VDC to 120VAC converter can't supply enough clean juice... power rails, yadda yadda...

That's why the really serious people who install those ADAMs in their vans also put in a separate gas-powered electrical generator (remember to vent the exhaust outside the van, DIY'ers)...

It's all about the power supply...

Archived