Your top 3 movies to re-watch

nat whilk II

• Members

Originally posted by myshkin

Anything by Andrei Tarkovsky... especially Andrei Rublev, Stalker, Mirror, Ivan's Childhood. Nothing else I rate quite in the same league probably but some other great films....

On the Waterfront

Chinatown

Jean de Florette

Dog Day Afternoon

Apocalypse Now

Withnail and I

Naked

Seven Samurai

The Seventh Seal

The Third Man

Werckmeister Harmonies

The Third Man is my all-time favorite movie. Perfect in pretty much every way.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a movie that I can just think about and laugh.

Coming to America, another one that you laugh at like you've never seen it before.

Off the top of my head, honorable mention goes to Empire Strikes Back, Matrix Reloaded, The Fugitive, and The Untouchables...oh, and just about any Marx Brothers movie. I've probably seen those more times than I've seen Star Wars.

Peace

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by aliengroover

The Third Man is my all-time favorite movie. Perfect in pretty much every way.

Great film. So many great unusual shots, great actors in the small roles, the sewer scenes, Orson Welles... the whole thing gives a great sense of the post war European sense(admittedly I'm guessing, wasn't around).

• Members

Too few, 3

The Last Samurai

Contact

Dances With Wolves

Braveheart

Gladiator

The World According to Garp

The Birdcage

Something About Mary

Planes Train and Automobiles

The Jerk

Life of Brian

Wrath of Khan

Lately, a new addition, Hitchhikers Guide

Roadhouse is my 'sucked in again cause it is on cable movie'

• Members

I'm watching My Man Godfrey (William Powell, Carole Lombard) for about the 20th time. It's achieved "each time just gets better" status with me... like a hallowed text... you just get more out of it with each viewing.

Better yet -- it's hilarious and Lombard as a ditzy rich girl is a delight. And she just glows... one of those deals where you figure the director of photography and the lighting director were both in love with her. Possibly Powell's best comedy role, too.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

Can't play Tedstars game 'cause I'll lose bigtime...

One I want to see again and again is David Lynch's Mulholland Drive. It's like Momento in the sense that the timeframe is askew... but waaaay more so.

Does anyone here know what I'm refering too?

Well I haven't seen Memento, but most of M Drive exists in hte mind of the blond lesbian I think. All very perfect Hollywood style fantasy as opposed to unpleasant reality until her imagination even starts to go against her.

• Moderators

Originally posted by myshkin

Well I haven't seen Memento, but most of M Drive exists in hte mind of the blond lesbian I think. All very perfect Hollywood style fantasy as opposed to unpleasant reality until her imagination even starts to go against her.

That's why I've got to see it again...

As I recall, half of the movie is her imagination, then it starts again without warning in reality. Except you're not really aware of the shift. A lot of, WTF?, goes on as I recall. Like I said, I've got to see it again.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

That's why I've got to see it again...

As I recall, half of the movie is her imagination, then it starts again without warning in reality. Except you're not really aware of the shift. A lot of, WTF?, goes on as I recall. Like I said, I've got to see it again.

I really hated the shift into surrealism until someone helped me out with what had gone on. Not sure I have much affection for the film, but I must give it another look to see what I make of it now.

Archived