What is a good Overdrive Pedal for Blues, Classic Rock, Rockabilly

burton4snow

• Members

I have 3 pedals on my board that all can achieve this: Boss Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb (which is more of an amp sim, but can get mean n' growly), Bad Monkey, and Radial Tonebone Classic (which can get into high gain territory).

I use 2 pedals mostly. Blues and rock. Dano Fab Overdrive and Dano Fab Distortion!! $15 apiece and damn nice!

Very Tube sounding.

Edit: I also have the Boss FDR-1 pedal which indeed gets great bluesy rock growl!!

Currently, I use the Boss FDR clean to fatten the tone and the Dano Distortion or OD to go Blues Rock.

• Members

I have a Duncan Twin Tube Classic which can produce great tube driven sounds. Sweet overfrive on the clean channel and at low gain. Another pedal that I have and use is a C-Tech Sonny Boy. The Sonny Boy is a cross between an analog modeler and a stomp box. It has ten different overdrive/distortion presets modeled after classic blues amps. It also has a built in booster. Sounds great through my solid state amps and my Fender DRRI.

• Members

The Barber Direct Drive really does the trick for me. I think of it as a TubeScreamer and then some. It has a more gain on tap so it can be better used as a standalone drive into a clean amp IMO (it won't do metal, but it will do a British amp hard rock sound). But you can still back off the gain and get great lower gain sounds like a TS. True bypass, internal trim pots for bass and treble, fat switch - all very useful. It wil do SRV, it will do Zep, it will do Jimi, and it's smooth enough to get an Eric Johnson lead sound with some delay. I can't say enough about this pedal.

It's not cheap like a BadMonkey at $115, but it's cheaper than many overdrives and I actually feel like the extra cost is entirely worth it over the "standard fare" pedals.

• Members

dude you've got a little Pro Jr... all you need to do is turn it up for blues, up some more for classic rock and down for rockabilly :idea:

if you cant do that then an 808, TS or OD, is ideal for that amp,

• Members

I use 2 pedals mostly. Blues and rock. Dano Fab Overdrive and Dano Fab Distortion!! $15 apiece and damn nice!

Very Tube sounding.

Edit: I also have the Boss FDR-1 pedal which indeed gets great bluesy rock growl!!

Currently, I use the Boss FDR clean to fatten the tone and the Dano Distortion or OD to go Blues Rock.

i have the fab distorto and od too. excellent pedals and not just "for the money". no one takes me seriously when i tell them that they really are very good pedals. i don't care though. cascade the od into the distorto and it's wicked. also have the fab echo. the echo and the od are always on with the distorto between them and kicked on when needed. only pedals i currently use and they get me exactly where i wanna go.

• Members

Pod XT Live all the way. Use the 2 tone amp model with a little slap back delay, you're in heaven for the rockabilly sound. And it has models of the tube screamer, rat, etc. I ended up buying an MI Audio Crunchbox because I don't change tones during the set. If I needed different tones I would definitely lug the XT live around.

Archived