has anyone replaced pickup springs with surgical tubes

alcohol

• Members

but have you noticed that this has made a difference to the feedback threashold??

I'm really curious abuot this..

cos if it really works I'd seriously looking into modifying my girlies

Sorry, I can't say as I have been able to. This thinline hollowbody is essentially in its original condition. I received it as a graduation gift in 1965 and haven't changed any of the electronics. However the fact that the Gibson factory (this is a Kalamazoo Epiphone) used tubing is consistent with the idea of it dampening vibrations. I originally posted to clarify the composition (latex vs silicone) and life-expectancy of the tubing. Seems like a pretty inexpensive mod, why not try it?

• Members

While surfing for answers on reducing feedback with solid body guitars I came across the suggestion of replacing springs with surgical rubber tubes.

Has anyone done this?

I had a strat that used them. I figured Fender did it because it was cheaper than springs.

• Members

cool..

sounds like an easy little experiment...

1 - strip out all the bog-roll from the spring cavnity and note the feedback threshold

2 - stuff all the bog-roll back in there and see if things improve

I pack out the whammie springs, but with the intent of damping everything down so there is no spurious crap picked up in the recordings

the impacts to feedback never really occurred to me

has anyone else tried this experiment??

I've used foam for this purpose, but not bog-roll, as I have no idea what "bog-roll' is.

• Members

You can pickup surgical tubing from any pharmacy. You could probably even get it from fitness stores. They use long lengths of it for resistence training. Like giant rubber bands. Also DIY home improvement places have. If you are desparate you can always hit up the guy on the corner selling crack. What would a junkie do without surgical tubing.

Archived