Hasn't been played for 26 years.

bobbo

• Members

A guy brought me a guitar that has been under the bed since his son died in 1981. He wants me to restore it back to playing condition. Turns out to be a 1973 Jaguar in very good condition. I checked out all the electronics and everything works 100%. It was missing 2 string saddles and one of the vintage style tuners had one side of the split shaft broken off.

I ordered new string saddles and happened to find and buy an original tuner on eBay. The guitar didn't have any strings on it and the neck is back bowed some but I'm hoping that after it's strung up that the tension is enough to straighten the neck. All I'm waiting on now is the parts.

Here's a couple of photos taken after I shined it up.

1973Jag.jpg?t=1178914035

1973JagFront-1.jpg?t=1178915106

1973JagBack.jpg?t=1178915177

• Members

Thanks. Wish it were mine. I can't wait for the parts to get here to finish her and crank it up. It looks like he filed out the G string slot on the nut. I may have to do some repair or make a new nut. The frets are still in good shape.

• Members

I had something kinda similar happen... a guy who bought a guitar for his son's birthday donated it to Goodwill when I was working there. His son died a week or so before his birthday, and it sat in a closet until 2000. It was a Fender 80's acoustic.

• Members

Well I got the parts needed to restore the '74 Jaguar. As you can see from my first post I was concerned about the back bow in the neck due to it being stored for 26 years in the case with no strings, The pull from the truss rod has caused a back bow that won't pull out from the tension of the strings.
I loosened the truss rod all the way and overtightened the strings (10's) to about F# and let sit for a few days hoping that might work to straighten the neck. It helped a little but there is still to much back bow for it to be playable. Open strings are ok buy it frets out bad on the first 3 or 4 frets.

I need some advise as how to remedy this situation. I know that the frets can be pulled and the fretboard sanded straight and re-fretted. But it has a bound fretboard that may cause problems. I don't have the skills or tools to do this. Would you guys recommend having this done to preserve the value of the guitar, or maybe just get a new neck from Warmouth and install it.

• Members

I would try removing the neck, block it on a bench below the nut and at the base and while protecting the fingerboard clamp the center down causing reverse pressure to be placed in the center. Leave it this way for a few days and tighten the clamp....repaeat a few times. This will take about a month or so. ALSO DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN....BE PATIENT!!!!!

Archived