what's the single biggest gtr. technique revelation you've ever had?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me, relaxing is really important too, especially when I first start playing. I think the most important technique for me is a mental technique. I have to let myself warm up naturally and not try to go off to the races from a standstill. I find for myself that the more I concentrate on playing 'musically' and concentrating on melody rather than scales and chops when I'm first warming up, the quicker I can get into more technical, chops-related stuff. Not that I'm a total shredder. I'm more of a speedy 'feel' player. So establishing the feel is paramount for me.

• Members

For me, relaxing is really important too, especially when I first start playing. I think the most important technique for me is a mental technique. I have to let myself warm up naturally and not try to go off to the races from a standstill. I find for myself that the more I concentrate on playing 'musically' and concentrating on melody rather than scales and chops when I'm first warming up, the quicker I can get into more technical, chops-related stuff. Not that I'm a total shredder. I'm more of a speedy 'feel' player. So establishing the feel is paramount for me.

:thu: For me it takes about 10 minutes to get my head into a groove. Doesn't matter if I'm alone or with someone else, feeling good or bad, energetic or tired. When my head gets right my hands work properly. Mind and body.

• Members

Discovering the sweet spot for picking.

Personally, I move my pick all over, from next to bridge to over the neck for different tone.

My biggest revelation was finally learning some theory (McLaughlin DVD) after playing by ear for 30 years.

• Members

Turning the pick slightly so that it is not parallel to the strings, allows for faster pickin'

And using a heavier pick.

+1

Yeah, that was gonna be MY contribution. Also, use the EDGE of the pick, not the flat part. Both edges.

• Members

*pinch harmonics

*practice with a metronome

*record yourself and listen to it, because there are some mistakes that are hard to recognize while you are playing

I'm yet to master pinch harmonics (under-statement).

Metronome and self-recording == Yes, and YES. Both can be very disillusioning, and help improve vastly.

• Members

Epiphany #1: Studying Harmony

Wow.

Opened a whole new world, like learning a the ULTIMATE language.:thu: I understand, well, starting to understand, Music like never before.

Epiphany #2 RELAXING RIGHT HAND:thu: . This and a Heavy 2-3mm pick(stubby), Now I can "shred".:lol:

It's funny, for years I used to clench my elbow/wrist(for years) to try to play "fast" and relax it when it hurt, then noticed It was easier to pick fast and cleanly relaxed.duh,.But this came after many years of practice, I had half the battle won with my left hand, then, relaxing the right hand put it all together.

• Members

I would say using a lighter pick, and lighter strings. Let's see, what mm are these things......?

Dunlop .38, .60 in nylon, and Dunlop .50 in Tortex. I use D'Addario .009 strings.

It allows me to play with more "feel" than a heavier pick, which in turn, allows for more sound variations.

Archived