So who here doesn't mind using solid state amps?

chu2

• Members

I, too use the Behringer GM-110 (their Trademark 30 copy). It is a very good little amplifier. I have used it in a bar with a band comprising another guitarist, an organ, a drum and a harmonica. It sounds fine. And I can run an XLR to the soundboard if I need more volume. It is always predictable, and the sound has drawn compliments from the other musicians.

I have also gigged a lot with a Carvin SX-50, which was INCREDIBLY loud. I think for reliability, loudness and flexibility solid state is totally the way to go. I don't want to disparage tube amps (which often sound great) but I don't think that they are necessary to have fun or be successful in playing live or at home.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SS user here. I use a Marshall MG100RCD with a Carvin 4x12 for jamming with friends. Like one poster above, I run it clean and add pedals for distortion. In the house, I use an 80's Marshall lead 12 SS combo and an Optimus 15 watt SS combo run in stereo from a DOD Stereo Phaser. Sounds awesome.

I am planning on getting myself a Tube head for X-Mas this year. I want a used 5150(or 6505) or a Valve King VK100. But I will always love solid state.

BTW, many complain that the MG100 is muddy but I learned that a bright sounding cabinet (like my Carvin) can help even it out.

• Members

Solid state amps are fine for practicing but it's not even close comparing a solid state amp and a tube amp.

If you need a small amp for a quiet apartment you're better off solid state. If you are playing clubs or stadiums every night I think tube amps are far superior.

• Members

Solid state amps are fine for practicing but it's not even close comparing a solid state amp and a tube amp.

If you need a small amp for a quiet apartment you're better off solid state. If you are playing clubs or stadiums every night I think tube amps are far superior.

I've seen many bands use solid state live in clubs and stadiums with excellent results. Some people love the sound of solid state amps. Are they wrong? No. They just prefer a different sound. Solid state amps have as much right to be on a stage as tube amps.

• Members

I own a Marshall MG15CDR(I posted a sound clip in the amp forum without saying what it was and fooled the tube snobs! LOL), a Behringer V-Amp2, and a Behringer V-Ampire LX112 combo. I can get any tone I need and can literally shake the floorboards should I so choose...

I used to feel like I was missing out by NOT using tubes, but truthfully, there's nothing I can come up with in my guitar playing or song writing that I CAN'T accomplish with the gear I own.

This is a GREAT time to be a guitar player - the choices we have, and the prices that we can get gear at, are simply amazing!

• Members

A lot of MG love around here it seems! I'm shocked! :D

I started on the MGDFX50 and then recently enough bought a Classic 30.

Classic 30 > MG :D IMHO at least, probably not too fair to compare them.

I like to run a lot of pedals so I don't want/need effects built in.

How about hybrids? Are people fans? I know the Valvetronix (I think that's it) gets a bit of love around here.

- Ged

• Members

All my amplifiers are tube amplifiers. But if you are ever in Bladensburg, Maryland on a Tuesday night you should probably go by Chick Hall's Surf Club. You will hear some really good picking and some nice tones coming out of both a Peavey Special 130 and a Peavey PA head into a Cordovox cabinet. It will blow your mind.

• Members

SS user here. I use a Marshall MG100RCD with a Carvin 4x12 for jamming with friends. Like one poster above, I run it clean and add pedals for distortion. In the house, I use an 80's Marshall lead 12 SS combo and an Optimus 15 watt SS combo run in stereo from a DOD Stereo Phaser. Sounds awesome.

I am planning on getting myself a Tube head for X-Mas this year. I want a used 5150(or 6505) or a Valve King VK100. But I will always love solid state.

BTW, many complain that the MG100 is muddy but I learned that a bright sounding cabinet (like my Carvin) can help even it out.

I'm the one who uses an MG for clean tones then adds pedals. IMO, it works great with decent pedals.

As for muddiness, I've never gotten that complaint. Sure, if you crank the contour knob, it gets pretty muddy, but keeping it at a reasonable level gets you a pretty good tone.

• Members

I've been using tube amps for over 10 years (Fender Bassman 70 head or Silverface Twin Reverb). I recently picked up a Fender Roc Pro 1000 head just to shake up my tone a bit. It really sounds decent, the gain channel is a bit too balls out at times... hard to get a smooth overdrive out of it. However, the cleans and the reverb are beautiful and good grief the amp is LOUD! Anyway, I am keeping it for a backup but have since switched back to my tube amps!

BTW, the roc pro does have a single 12ax7 tube in the gain channel, but I still consider it mostly a SS amp!

One thing that I have trouble with when it comes to SS vs. Tube debate is the question of reliability and the assumption that SS is superior. I have had more probs out of SS amps in my experience. I have never (knock on wood) had a tube amp let me down and I'm not anal about changing tubes often either. Besides, most tube amps (especially older ones) are much easier to have repaired than the complex circuits in SS amps - ask any amp repairman.

• Members

My favorite amp by far is my twin reverb but i also love ss amps with fuzz pedals,the woolly mammoth and LBM to be exact.

SS amp have there place and can sound great,and in my opinion sound far better with fuzz than any tube amp.SS amps sound like {censored} with distortions like ds1 ds2 etc,but sound excellent with a sansamp or other mosfet effects.

I use two amps at gigs and have a looper i made so i can stomp between my ss (fender fm2x12,100w) and tube (TRRI) amp,thats how much i love solid sate.

:thu:

• Members
Does anyone here actually
prefer
solid states over tube around these parts? I've got the Behringer copy of the Tech 21 Trademark 30, and I have to say, it sounds pretty sweet with a speaker swap for an Eminence Ramrod. No real need for tubes here (yet).
:eek:

On the other hand, I don't really enjoy digital modeling systems.

Anyone else feel the same way?

PS-the new typing shortcuts are a nice touch, HC crew! I did the Windows italic shortcut instinctively and it worked. Thanks!

I prefer tube amps, but I've nothing against solid state. I think the difference is exaggerated (massively)... but it's there. I will say I've got some perfectly acceptable tone direct lining a POD into a PA before now.

I think in terms of value for money SS/digital modelling is the way to go. Chance are your audience won't hear much of a difference or care if they do. They'll be more bothered about your playing than the subtle nuances of your tone/rig.

• Members

i hear many complaining about SS distortion but my cube 60, ive tried to hear coldness sterility harshness brittle, this thing kills on the JMP and 5150 settings, between those 2 i can get it to sound like just about any kind of overdriven sound over the last 40 years

• Members

I'm an SS guy - first 'proper amp' was an MG250dfx, which wasnt that great for distorted sounds, plus I like to have three channels, so I stepped up to a valvestate. When that dies I bought an AVT275, which rules. I get the sounds I hear in my head.

I have nothing against valve amps, but i cannot be bothered with maintainence, plus I never push my amps that much - i believe in micing everything on stage so the volume only has to be enough for on stage monitoring.

Archived