So who here doesn't mind using solid state amps?

chu2

• Members

I like and use both. My Practice Amps are a Trademark 30 and a Fender SideKick 15 from the mid 80's. The trademark has an absolutely beautiful clean tone and I've even gigged it once. The SideKick is an interesting amp, has a decent tone, but what I love about it is that I can get a great acoustic tone out of it and my Les Paul. I love my Fender Hotrod for larger gigs, but it definitely isn't as reliable as the Trademark.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just switched to the Rocktron Velocity 120's with a Chameleon 2000 thru a Marshall 1960 4x12 w/greenbacks.
It slays most tube tones that I hear the guys around here using. And it's way more versatile. Multiple effects that are pre-programmed at the touch of a footswitch. I need a large variety of tones since we do everything from Stray Cats to Van Halen, from the Beatles to Black Sabbath.
And the best thing is - it sounds excellent at any volume level. It will scream at a large venue and sound badass at lower volume in little rooms too.
Once I add that second Velocity to the rack I'll have a built-in backup, or 240W monster.
The Hush feature on the Chameleon is one of the coolest features I've ever used. Absolutely no noise at all. Single coils, hi-gain, no sweat. Works better than any noise gate I've ever used.
Think people notice that it's a SS amp? No. All they notice is that it sounds great. It's a totally pro system that will hang with anybody.

But again, like the Line 6 modeling stuff, you have to be able to dive in and set all the parameters and EQ it properly so it may be a little more complicated than most folks need. It's really for who can actually hear the difference in tones on different recordings and tweak it to duplicate those tones. If this isn't a major concern to you or you don't need but a couple/few tones than you're probably better off with the simpler tube stuff and a couple of stomps.
Sorry, but that "Tubes sound sooooo much better than SS bs" is, well, just that - bs. I just get tired of that being posted like it's a given. It's not. Hence any "attitude" that you may sense from my post. :)

• Members

I use a solid state Fender Performer 1000 (basically the same as a RocPro which was mentioned earlier) and get really good tones, especially with a Proco Vintage Rat and an SM-57. I actually get a great, thick, vintage and tubey Marshall tone! :eek: I actually get that kind of Jonny Greenwood big sound (he uses a Fender 85 SS amp for his distorted tones). Must be used at lower volume to get good tone, though, that's why the SM-57 is a big part of that sound.

But, I always feel it's plastic-sounding on the clean. That's why I have a Laney tube amp coming soon... :cool:

I'm very happy gigging with a Behringer GMX212 and I have a Spider II 75 watts for a backup that I have tweaked to perfection. I add the Boss FDR-1 pedal for warmth and space and a Line 6 Crunchtone distortion pedal for some crunch/bluesy overdrive and every time I play on it, I go Ahhhh!!

I love tube tone. I get what I need from my gear.

• Members

My live rig is a Marshall AVT150 Combo, a hybrid. Basically one tube in the preamp and SS from there. I like it very much!

I've used quite a few SS amps over the years, in fact I've never owned an all tube amp. I've always been quite pleased with my sound.

• Members

I couldn't help but notice that hefty Epi Triggerman in the pics with your new Epi LP. Do you really like that one as much as you say?

Reason I ask is I have the smaller 60 watt version and so far I'm very impressed with it clean plus some reverb. Not too hip on the other effects though. And man is it LOUD!

I more or less bought it on impulse when it was the MF SDOTD thinking it would just be OK, but I
really
enjoy it.

Absolutely! It is my favorite amp, and I can't see it not being my favorite any time soon. I was thinking of getting the 60 watt too, so I'd still have something with volume, but a bit easier to carry than a half stack, but hesitated because if I were going to buy another amp, I'd rather get something different with a different sound rather than a repeat of what I've got, but then again, having the smaller version posrtability again, of my favorite amp......

But apparently I thought about it too long, doesn't seem the 60 is available any more.

I don't use the reverb too much, but I use the chorus, that's pretty much the only effect I've ever used.

Glad you like yours, they are nice amps, good sounding and as a bonus, they look cool with the retro styling.

My live rig is a Marshall AVT150 Combo, a hybrid. Basically one tube in the preamp and SS from there. I like it very much!

I've used quite a few SS amps over the years, in fact I've never owned an all tube amp. I've always been quite pleased with my sound.

My man, you have very sweet tone and you play nice warm blues! :thu:

• Members

I've owned tons of amps, and I actually currently own about 20 or so. I don't care at all for the TM30 personally. And the poorly built Behr doesn't sound as good as it. There are a number of different hybrids that sound ok to really good to me. And the Vox modelers, especially the AD60/120 sound really, really good. But most of my amps are tube, for good reason. However, there are tube amps that sound pretty bad too.

Like I said, major speaker upgrade does the trick. I felt the same way too.

• Members

IMO,solid state amps are better for high gain at low volumes.solid state amps have more of a flat sound to me opposed to tube amps having a more round clear sound.for practicing i use a line six solid state amp at low volumes that sounds like a rig at full volume,if i use my marshall at that same volume it sounds like crap but if i turn it up to around six it blows the line six away to say the least.

• Members
But, I always feel it's plastic-sounding on the clean. That's why I have a Laney tube amp coming soon...
:cool:

Which Laney were you looking at? I've only got experience with my mates VC-15 R (I'm pretty sure it's that, the one with the 10 inch speaker) and I really do quite like it, he gets a great sound out of it. Seems very well built, not too big and heavy either.

Of course, that might not be what you're looking at anyways ;)

- Ged

• Members

In the early 90s I owned a Gibson Classic Gold SS amp -- it was a hybrid with two 12AX7s, probably about 85 watts or so. My recollection is probably clouded by my fondness for that little amp, but that thing had the sweetest cleans I've ever heard. The OD channel really wasn't bad either. The footswitch was a nice, heavy chunk of metal that controlled both the channel switching and a boost circuit for the OD channel. I scan eBay from time to time but I never see them. If I ran across one today I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

• Members

The title says "mind" but the post says "prefer".

I don't mind using most any amp.

I prefer tube amps, because usually I can be assured of getting a good tone out of it over any solid state amp. Almost any tube amp has at least one really good sound. Some SS amps have no good sounds.

However, there are many musical SS amps out now. And many tubes amps only have one good sound.

For my own use I have SS, hybrids, and fully tube amps. They were all very carefully chosen. All sound from excellent to great.

But versatility, reliability, and luggability go to the SS amps, without a doubt.

Here's what I own:
Dean Markley RM-150-DR a one 12 combo with an EV Force speaker, tube preamp, SS power amp. Covers a LOT of ground at any volume. better than a Boogie for me.
Dean Markley CD-120 all tube 4 6L6 2 12. Better than a real Twin, cause it will do overdrive sounds that the Twin won't, and still has the cleans.
Vox AD15VT versatile good sounding small small combo.
Epi Valve Jr, modified. A one trick pony, but it's a great trick.
Epi Valve Special, under reconstruction, but a worthy platform to start from.
Crate Stealth 50 all tube. Everybody gabbles about the distortion on these, but it's the cleans that kill. 4 6V6s into 1 12. Think of a twice as powerful Princeton.

• Members

Myth 1: Tube amps don't sound good at low volume

With a non-master volume amp you will obviously be unable to get distortion at low levels, but I've never run into a tube amp with a gain control that sounds worse than a solid state amp at low volumes. For a tube clean this statement is especially untrue, and some high gain tube heads aren't even designed to emphasis heavy tube breakup (Mesa Boogie).

Myth 2: Tube amps are less reliable than solid state amps

I've found most solid state amps are the lower end of a companies line and are not as well built. My Princeton 65 started acting funky after a couple years, my friend's Deluxe 90 completely died after a couple. Between us we've had 5 tube amps and none have had any problems or required any maintenance whatsoever. It's a non-issue with a modern tube amp.

• Members

I've found most solid state amps are the lower end of a companies line and are not as well built. ..... It's a non-issue with a modern tube amp.

I disagree. I've worked on plenty of modern tube amps that were made just as badly as cheap SS amps. The most disheartening was a Fender "The Twin" It looked the part but it had {censored}ty {censored}ty {censored}ty sockets, and way too much PCB. And gawdawful tubes from new.

Cutting corners for econimcs is not limited to cheap ss amps. Gimme an OLD tube amp any day. this is supported by the boutique and builder industry doing things the "old" way.

• Members
Which Laney were you looking at? I've only got experience with my mates VC-15 R (I'm pretty sure it's that, the one with the 10 inch speaker) and I really do quite like it, he gets a great sound out of it. Seems very well built, not too big and heavy either.

Of course, that might not be what you're looking at anyways
;)

- Ged

It's a VC-30 112, 30 watts, which is said to be the equivalent of a Vox, but less expensive and more reliable. Can't wait to get it!

• Members
I disagree. I've worked on plenty of modern tube amps that were made just as badly as cheap SS amps. The most disheartening was a Fender "The Twin" It looked the part but it had {censored}ty {censored}ty {censored}ty sockets, and way too much PCB. And gawdawful tubes from new.

Cutting corners for econimcs is not limited to cheap ss amps. Gimme an OLD tube amp any day. this is supported by the boutique and builder industry doing things the "old" way.

I was actually referring just to cab build quality (I don't know much about electronics or open up my amps much :)) - I've seen some really shoddy cabs on solid state amps. And a good number of the solid state amps my friends and I have owned in the past have succumbed to electrical gremlins, which I can't say about the tube amps I have personal experience with, despite the fact that the tube amps were played out quite a bit more.

• Members

Myth 1: Tube amps don't sound good at low volume

With a non-master volume amp you will obviously be unable to get distortion at low levels, but I've never run into a tube amp with a gain control that sounds worse than a solid state amp at low volumes. For a tube clean this statement is especially untrue, and some high gain tube heads aren't even designed to emphasis heavy tube breakup (Mesa Boogie).

I've found most solid state amps are the lower end of a companies line and are not as well built. My Princeton 65 started acting funky after a couple years, my friend's Deluxe 90 completely died after a couple. Between us we've had 5 tube amps and none have had any problems or required any maintenance whatsoever. It's a non-issue with a modern tube amp.

Myth 2:

Sorry, but 2 of my tube amps are down right now. No problem with my SS ones.

• Members
But if you are ever in Bladensburg, Maryland on a Tuesday night you should probably go by Chick Hall's Surf Club.

Anybody wanna go?
My family is from Cottage City about a mile down the road! :wave: I haven't been in that place for 25 years! :freak:

Dabbler? Brewski? Rog951? Bueller? anyone? anyone?

Archived