David Gilmour

blackpig

• Members

Originally posted by myshkin

Gilmour has a new album coming out for those interested

Does he also have one coming out for those NOT interested? :p

I liked "About Face" - still have it on import CD from the mid-'80s. I might check out his new one, although I haven't been terribly interested in post-Waters Pink Floyd.

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Storm

Does he also have one coming out for those NOT interested?
:p

I liked "About Face" - still have it on import CD from the mid-'80s. I might check out his new one, although I haven't been terribly interested in post-Waters Pink Floyd.

Not really interested meself, just thought I'd mention it.

• Members

Someone was making me listen to a Floyd bootleg, circa '70 or '71, post-Syd in any case, and, while on the whole it was some pretty tedious and monochromatic jamming, Gilmour's singing tone and feel on guitar was there in full effect. He didn't have much to"say" in terms of long form melodic exploration, but that utterly distinctive, sweet singing tone and phrasing was like wow.

A very natural thing with him, I suspect, so, uh, happy birthday....

• Members

I saw one of his videos.

Was okay.

But I actually came out to see it thinking, "That's funny, I don't know this Floyd song...". Harmonies sounded good, then realized that Graham Nash and David Crosby were singing a lot of 'em. If you're gonna do harmonies, you could do far worse than those two!!

• Members

That's who the other guy was, Graham Nash, of course! Thanks for that info... :)

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

I saw one of his videos.

Was okay.

But I actually came out to see it thinking, "That's funny, I don't know this Floyd song...". Harmonies sounded good, then realized that Graham Nash and David Crosby were singing a lot of 'em. If you're gonna do harmonies, you could do far worse than those two!!

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

Someone was making me listen to a Floyd bootleg, circa '70 or '71, post-Syd in any case, and, while on the whole it was some pretty tedious and monochromatic jamming, Gilmour's singing tone and feel on guitar was there in full effect. He didn't have much to"say" in terms of long form melodic exploration, but that utterly distinctive, sweet singing tone and phrasing was like wow.

Please tell me this is a joke. Gilmour could say more in one note than anyone could in twenty. Neil Young was the same way.

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

A fine player.

A lot of rock guitarists could learn A WHOLE LOT from Mr Gilmour.

He knows -- very well -- what to leave out.

So did Roger. They knew what they were doing, and that's why their contemporaries are widely considered jokes in comparison.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike51

Please tell me this is a joke. Gilmour could say more in one note than anyone could in twenty. Neil Young was the same way.

Uh, I think the key word in my description was "long form," and boy that's what they were doing on this bootleg--long form pentatonic noodling to rival the most indulgent psychedelia of the era--in my humbop, of course. Richard Wright stikes me as particularly uninteresting, but to my tastes, Gilomour wasn't really going anywhere special either. That said, I love his approach to melodic statement in his recorded solos and agree with all the praise lavished on his taste and his tone in this thread...and for the record there are very, very few guitarists who I am interested in hearing solo for more than half a minute or so--Wes Montgomery and Jim Hall come to mind...

So, no joke. I'm glad that Gilmour and Neil Young speak to you profoundly. I have no problems with either. Why so sensitive?

• Members

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

It's already in the store

Not in the USA - here it will be released tomorrow (Tuesday, March 7).

I've heard the album, and I like it. I may even buy it. There's some good stuff there. There's even a tune or two that David recorded the basic tracks for at his home project studio.

You can take a listen to it here:

http://www.quakeradio.com/cc-common/mfeatures/davidgilmour/

(Warning - that's a progressive liberal talk radio station, so if you're paranoid about getting on NSA lists, don't click the link, silly)

• Members

I get funny looks from some too when I say that Gilmour doesn't quite speak to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's bad - just doesn't resonate with me in quite the same way. But I recognize he's good.

Neil Young. He could have only done "Live Rust" and nothing else and I'd still think he was a genius. His guitar playing on that, especially "Like a Hurricane", speaks volumes to me.

And speaking of Neil Young, we could have really had some fun harmonies had he decided to join Crosby and Nash on the harmonies!!! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

Richard Wright stikes me as particularly uninteresting,

Well, he's no Liberace (;) ), but I wouldn't call him uninteresting. He was good at laying down pads and textures for the rest of the band to psychedelicize all over. His creativity shines in the programming and manipulation of sound effects. And his piano playing ain't so bad . . . Nobody Home, Stop, Sheep, Great Gig in The Sky, amongst others seem inspired to me.

Anyway, yeah, happy birthday Pink Floyd! :) Way to hang out and talk to each other again!

Archived