David Gilmour

blackpig

• Members

Originally posted by shniggens

Well, he's no Liberace (
;)
), but I wouldn't call him
uninteresting
. He was good at laying down pads and textures for the rest of the band to psychedelicize all over. His creativity shines in the programming and manipulation of sound effects. And his piano playing ain't so bad . . . Nobody Home, Stop, Sheep, Great Gig in The Sky, amongst others seem inspired to me.

Anyway, yeah, happy birthday Pink Floyd!
:)
Way to hang out and talk to each other again!

Again, my comments were all in regard to a particularly sluggish jam on one early '70s bootleg that a friend played for me the other night. I apologize to all if I seem to be spewing general vitriol on the Floydians, especially in a thread recongizing Gilmour's birthday. That was not my intention

I am familiar with their ouvre (indeed, could anyone of my age NOT be?) and I have a healthy respect for the band collectively and as individual players. When I say sluggish, for instance, keep in mind that I really DIG Nick Mason's sort of default half-time feel and find it deep, not sluggish...but on this boot, I'm telling ya...well, no matter. Happy birthday, Dave....

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

Uh, I think the key word in my description was "long form," and boy that's what they were doing on this bootleg--long form pentatonic noodling to rival the most indulgent psychedelia of the era--in my humbop, of course. Richard Wright stikes me as particularly uninteresting, but to my tastes, Gilomour wasn't really going anywhere special either.

Compared to who?

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

Again, my comments were all in regard to a particularly sluggish jam on one early '70s bootleg that a friend played for me the other night. I apologize to all if I seem to be spewing general vitriol on the Floydians, especially in a thread recongizing Gilmour's birthday. That was not my intention

I am familiar with their ouvre (indeed, could anyone of my age NOT be?) and I have a healthy respect for the band collectively and as individual players. When I say sluggish, for instance, keep in mind that I really
DIG
Nick Mason's sort of default half-time feel and find it deep, not sluggish...but on this boot, I'm telling ya...well, no matter. Happy birthday, Dave....

Well a bootleg, especially one of lower quality isn't going to give you a good idea.

• Members

Originally posted by shniggens

Well, he's no Liberace (
;)
), but I wouldn't call him
uninteresting
. He was good at laying down pads and textures for the rest of the band to psychedelicize all over. His creativity shines in the programming and manipulation of sound effects. And his piano playing ain't so bad . . . Nobody Home, Stop, Sheep, Great Gig in The Sky, amongst others seem inspired to me.

Waters wrote Nobody Home in one night on his piano. He wrote both the words and the music. Interesting story behind that.

• Members

I just bought the album and it's like meeting an old friend who's done rather well in life. There are little tonal motifs scattered through it that no other guitarist in the world can even come close to replicating. Best album I've heard in years.

• Members
I just bought the album and it's like meeting an old friend who's done rather well in life. There are little tonal motifs scattered through it that no other guitarist in the world can even come close to replicating. Best album I've heard in years.

Just heard it myself today. I agree with you. Fookin' great record.

• Members

Apparently he is rehearsing in a club not far from me!!!!! :cool:

What are the odds I can wander down with a couple of empty guitar cases or an old amp, swear & fart a lot, and convince anyone on the door I'm working there???? :D

• Members

Originally posted by timrocker

Heard a tune off a solo lp of his recently. Title: There's no way out of here. Loved the song immediately. Why have I not heard this before? Anyone know what lp this is from? I would buy it in an instant.

That's from Gilmour's first solo album, released in 1978, I believe.

David Gilmour - "David Gilmour"

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by timrocker

Heard a tune off a solo lp of his recently. Title: There's no way out of here. Loved the song immediately. Why have I not heard this before? Anyone know what lp this is from? I would buy it in an instant.

It is from his self-titled solo album from 1978 as Johnny Storm said. In my opinion it is the best song on that album. The rest of it is pretty good, but it sounds sort of dated. It is probably the most "Floyd" sounding of all the members solo stuff...although Gilmour's new album sounds very "Floydian" to me as well.

• Members

He's doing a gig next saterday and sunday 5 miles from my home. Tickets are $70 and I spend my last money on a Gibson Les Paul....replacement neck...

If I knew before I wouldn't have bought the neck...

Russ Ragsdale emailed me but he was just too late,... ;)

Ahhh next time......

• Members

Mr. Gilmore suits me fine.

his playing "speaks to me" either with P.F. or solo.

as mentioned "what he leaves out " is knowing alot about his art.

given the choice between the (pick one or two) monsters of rock guitar and David Gilmore ,I'd take Mr. Gilmore without hesitation.

There's No Way Out Of Here

(From the album "DAVID GILMOUR")

There's no way out of here, when you come in you're in for good

There was no promise made, the part you've played, the chance you took

There are no boundaries set, the time and yet you waste it still

So it slips through your hands like grains of sand, you watch it go

There's no time to be lost, you'll pay the cost so get it right

There's no way out of here, when you come in you're in for good

And never was there an answer, there an answer

Not without listening, without seeing

There are no answers here, when you look out you don't see in

There was no promise made, the part you've played, the chance you took