Yamaha SA503 Troy Van Leeuwen Pics!

Jokoker

• Members

Not mine, but I thought you folks might enjoy them, as there seems to be some interest.

S6000894.jpg

S6000889.jpg

Looks remarkably similar to a Guild Starfire V (besides the f-holes, of course).

I got them here:

http://forum.rekordsrekords.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t27737-1900.html

To those still wondering: it is made in Indonesia. Doesn't matter much though; it looks pretty damn solid.

If you follow the link, there are scans of the UK magazine Guitarist, in which they review it and talk about the guitar being MII.

That's it.

• Members

What's the goin' price on those?

When I first knew about them, I thought they were MIJ or MIK or something. Never thought it'd be an Indonesian made guitar. And that is actually interesting because most MII guitars I know are very reasonably priced.

So yeah, how much is it? :D

• Members
Originally posted by LaXu

Looks pretty nice. But does anyone still know who the hell is Troy Van Leeuwen?

played for a perfect circle, newer queens of the stone age stuff, really good guitarist...

• Members
Originally posted by stratopedia

What's the goin' price on those?

When I first knew about them, I thought they were MIJ or MIK or something. Never thought it'd be an Indonesian made guitar. And that is actually interesting because most MII guitars I know are very reasonably priced.

So yeah, how much is it?
:D

They

• Members

I played one yesterday at the guitar place. Played it through the same amp I have. Seemed nice. One toggle switch seems to control which pickups are involved and the other switch seems to brighten the tone. For knobs, I think there were 2 volumes, one tone and a master volume (actually I just read there are 3 volumes ... oh well I was trying to figure it out in a short time) . I thought the selector switches would produce more sonic variation

Sounded good ... was heavier than I thought it would be. I liked that the finish allowed the wood to be seen (I had thought it only came in solid colour red).

• Members

Originally posted by FenderPusher

Beautiful guitar but I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pay $1000 for an Indonesian guitar.

Me too.

I've been GAS'n for that guitar for over a year now, but it's really a mind blower to me that it would be that much for an Indonesian made guitar.

So far my luck with Yamaha electrics hasn't been all that impressive. Good build, but not impressive in the tone department, so I'm hesitant to pony up a grand for one that doesn't at least have the MIJ pedigree.

But still a P-90 version of a 335 style guitar with a Bigsby is tempting. :freak:

Plus it looks better in that picture than the webshots I've seen.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

has anyone played one of these? its on my list , i really want it based on the specs and pics, trusting that it sounds good is obviously stupid but why would anyone make a bad sig guitar at 700EUROS for a guitarist thats virtually unknown...............

again,nowhere in dublin has one and is not likely to have one

• Members

What's with the two 3-way switches??

AFAIK, one toggles the two outer PUs, Gibson style. The other controls the centre PU so you can have it solo, off, or combined with either or both outer PUs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

There was someone, in the effects forum, who played one and liked it so much he claimed he was going to buy it. This was awhile ago, though. Ask around there. Another guy said it was too heavy and, despite the numerous switching options, thought the sounds weren't that varied. Other than that, this model is still pretty new and hands-on experiences have been rare.

HC database:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Yamaha/SA503+TVL/10/1

MF Reviews:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-Troy-Van-Leeuwen-Signature-EG-Electric-Guitar?sku=512447&src=3SOSWXXA

• Members

I've played one. The local Guitar Center has a used one.

I liked it a lot. The build quality was very solid, it played great and the pickups sounded sweet. The used price was $649 I believe. I'd buy it if I needed another guitar.

Archived