Ceramic single coil pickups?

niceguy

• Members

All I know of are the alnico magnet single coils. Are ceramic singles coils made? What do they sound like?

Will they still sound like a single coil, or more like a humbucker?
:p

There's no surplus of Carvin love around here, niceguy---but their AP11 single-coils are some of my favorite Strat pickups. They're ceramic, relatively low-output, and they sound great!

• Members

I beg to differ.

I make a pickup called the S90 and it uses 2 ceramic 8 magnets and they sound awesome.

You can listen to them at
www.bg-pups.com/sc.html

:wave:

Not trying to be rude but I highly doubt you would say anything you made sounded bad. Would be a pretty bad business move call your own stuff shitty. They may be great but let's be honest.

• Members

Not trying to be rude but I highly doubt you would say anything you made sounded bad. Would be a pretty bad business move call your own stuff {censored}ty. They may be great but let's be honest.

I'll be honest, every pickup I sell I make. If they sounded like crap I wouldnt bother making them or selling them.

Theres quite a few people on this forum who have bought them and every single person is loving them!!!

• Members

I do some rewinds. Does your mini use rails or screwpoles?

Maybe shoot me a photo with the cover off if you can.

Thanks,

Bryan

Rails. It's out of a 60s ES325.

I gotta admit, I haven't figured out how to properly upload pics from my new camera yet---need to have xStonr (brother forumite who sold me the camera) go over it with me again :o

I'd love to get this pickup working again :cool:

• Members

Rails. It's out of a 60s ES325.

I gotta admit, I haven't figured out how to properly upload pics from my new camera yet---need to have xStonr (brother forumite who sold me the camera) go over it with me again
:o

I'd love to get this pickup working again
:cool:

Chances are there shouldnt be a problem repairing it. I just like to take a look before I commit to a repair.

• Members

Fender Standard Strat pickups are ceramics. Lots of people playing on those guys.

Y'know, I've heard great sounding ceramics, and terrible sounding alnicos. Generalizing based upon a magnet's composition is sure a dumb thing to do.

Yep. Count me as one of em. A used MIM w/ash body & rosewood board. Its 6-7 yrs old, has ceramics I'm sure. They sound fine to me. I like it & it does the job. Plug it in, hit strings, Strat sound comes out.

• Members

Chances are there shouldnt be a problem repairing it. I just like to take a look before I commit to a repair.

Understandable.

Everything is there, complete---but both bobbins (still wound) are out of the case, and disconnected from each other. Might be repairable just with some micro-soldering!

I really should try to get you a pic.

• Members

Yep. Count me as one of em. A used MIM w/ash body & rosewood board. Its 6-7 yrs old, has ceramics I'm sure. They sound fine to me. I like it & it does the job. Plug it in, hit strings, Strat sound comes out.

Yeah, I had a MIM Strat and the ceramics didn't bug me a bit. I sold it to a friend who needed a decent first guitar, when I needed to finance a different purchase.

Replaced it with this:

188512407_8a37548044.jpg

A Peavey USA Predator.

Also w/ceramics. ;)

• Members

Coulda pick up a used one of those a few weeks ago for a steal, but I already had a Strat. Nice axe, but I liked the neck on my MIM better. The Peavey neck felt kinda thin. Maybe a narrower nut?

Not sure about the nut, I believe the Predator necks are a bit thinner than MIM's, but I didn't own the 2 at the same time, so don't hold me to that.

I actually have a slight preference for the Peavey over my 90's-period MIM, the Peavey has bigger frets than the MIM's vintage ones, and also has a 22nd fret to the MIM's 21. Both were made of poplar.

Predators are everywhere though, and still cheap for the time being. Mine was $100 on Fleabay.

Archived