Anyone using a wireless system?

strathappy

• Members

I use 'em on all my gigs. I love being wireless.

On my cheapie Samson VHF there's a little high end loss.... but it's easily compensated for with an amp adjustment. So I still get a tone I'm completely happy with.

I bought it brand new for $175 back in 2002 and it's still going strong!

I also have an Audio Technica 2000 Series UHF system that has no perceptible (to me) tone loss whatsoever. It was $300 brand new.

I got it 2 1/2 years ago and it's still going strong.

Some people don't get along with wireless... but I do, and I love 'em.

I'd really like to step up and get one of those Shure SLX systems.

• Members

I think I'm going to check them out, any recomendations?

Shure SLX (pricey - $550)

Audio Technica 2000 Series ($300)

Audio Technica 3000 Series ($400)

Senhieser also makes really good ones.

You'll want UHF (not VHF). And you'll want "True Diversity" which I think means it has 2 antennas and automatically switches between the two depending on signal strength..... this eliminates drop-outs.

There's probably other brands I'm not thinking of.

• Members

Shure SLX (pricey - $550)

Audio Technica 2000 Series ($300)

Audio Technica 3000 Series ($400)

Senhieser also makes really good ones.

You'll want UHF (not VHF). And you'll want "True Diversity" which I think means it has 2 antennas and automatically switches between the two depending on signal strength..... this eliminates drop-outs.

There's probably other brands I'm not thinking of.

Cool thanks. :thu:

Do you think theres a pricepoint to stay near or away from?

• Members

Cool thanks.
:thu:

Do you think theres a pricepoint to stay near or away from?

You can get a good wireless for reasonable price now.

Check out the X2

It's the best sounding and (most imporantly) "feeling" wireless I've ever used. It's better than my old wireless that cost over $2000 because the X2 has no companding. It doesn't have the range of some of the higher end Shures and Lectrosonic, but unless you're playing stadiums that shouldn't matter

This one is great for pedalboard mounting:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-X2D-XDS95.html

There is a new rackmount version shipping next month:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-X2D-XDR95.html

There's a good thread about it located here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=244010

• Members

another vote for X2. It's just the balls man, it really does sound just like using a cable. And the guy above is correct about the "feel", my amp dynamics react just as if I was using a cable. Don't know quite how to explain it better other than I don't feel dissconnected from the amp

• Members

I use 2 Audio Technica wirelesses and I swear by them.

My main electric guitar signal goes into an Audio Technica ATW 3100. No tone loss at all that I can hear. I A/B'd it with a cable and couldn't tell a difference.

I use a Digital Reference DR-3500 (same as the Audio Technica 2100) for the piezo signal of my Schecter. Again, I can't hear any tone loss.

Both units are great and I don't get any dropouts in the signal.

I used to have a cheap Shure unit and a couple cheap Nady's and had nothing but trouble with them.

With my band I switch guitars constantly throughout the show and having a wireless pack on my belt makes for fast, easy guitar changes. I'll never go back to a cord.

• Members

Sennheiser

Sorry for obliterating any need for further discussion and thereby killing your thread.

Not necessarily. I bought the Sennheiser EW rig a while back. Tested it in practice, sounded great! No noticeable tone loss, no problems. Played a show, 1/2 way into the first set I got this horrible static noise, ended up yanking the wireless and played with a cord the rest of the night.

Used it at practice both at home and with my band, trying to get it to make the same noise, couldn't get it to do so. Figured it was a fluke, had another gig in the same bar, same story - halfway through the 1st set, it started whacking out.

Put it on ebay the next day, bought the Audio Technica 4000 series system, have NEVER had a single issue with it, even in the same bar.

It may have been a faulty Sennheiser unit, but worth noting the problems I had.

• Members

You'll want UHF (not VHF). .

Not necessarily. Depending on what interference you have in the surrounding area, UHF can be superior. UHF tends to be better for situations where there is appreciable interference from surrounding electronics.

However, where interference isn't an issue, UHF isn't intrinsically better in terms of sound. Also, UHF devices drain batteries more quickly than VHF.

• Members

I use a Peavey ProComm UHF, as does the other guitarist in the band. Neither of us have ever run into problems with the Peaveys, despite having the base on the floor or pedalboard most of the time. The x2 unit does look cool though.

• Members

I use the Samson Concert Series II, and have done every gig with it since I got it used back in '94. I get several gigs per 9 volt battery, so I'm very happy with it. No tone changes, low battery draw, and complete freedom...what's not to love?

Archived