an age-old question... is the gibson worth it?

bluesboy

• Members

Just beware that eBay is infested with Chinese fakes, and the fakes are getting better & better, and they are being re-sold in the US. You could be next.
:eek:

this is true......but you are fairly safe if you stick to reputable ebay merchants/stores

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thanks to the people who actually gave opinions... for those of you calling me a troll, not every issue or specific question i have has been covered and is easily findable by search function (it's not the end all be all of things).

I ended up buying a 2007 standard with 60's neck, cherry finish, brand new on ebay for $1750 shipped. that's a good deal in my book, especially for the guitar that i've been lusting after from years.

The seller is trustworthy, one negative out of 720, and sells alot of expensive guitars. Now im just wating for it to arrive....

• Members

thanks to the people who actually gave opinions... for those of you calling me a troll, not every issue or specific question i have has been covered and is easily findable by search function (it's not the end all be all of things).

I ended up buying a 2007 standard with 60's neck, cherry finish, brand new on ebay for $1750 shipped. that's a good deal in my book, especially for the guitar that i've been lusting after from years.

The seller is trustworthy, one negative out of 720, and sells alot of expensive guitars. Now im just wating for it to arrive....

Congrats! MAke sure to post pics when it arrives!

I know you will love it!

• Members

Cool man! Congratulations on owning your first Gibson. I hope you get a great one! There are a lot of bashers around here so don't let them get to you. There's no denying that there has been some degree of inconsistency in Gibson's workmanship at certain points in time, but I've played a lot of nice ones recently. Good luck and definitely post some pix when the new axe arrives! :thu:

• Members

Everyone says to not get it on ebay.....try a bunch at a store......

but I don't think you can go wrong if you watch the auctions for awhile to get a feel for what the Gibby's are going for.....then wait for a deal and go for it.....

If you aren't happy...you can always turn it back around and get your money back......that in combination with a few trips to a Gibby dealer to decide WHAT exactly to look for..

That's not always true. What if there is something wrong with it, and they are just trying to flip it to get their money back out of it? If you're gonna spend that kind of money, you should know for sure what you are getting.

• Members

Kinda like asking someone who's happy with a hot-rodded datsun 510 that drive's like it's on rails, if he'd rather have a vet.

Love what ya got there, bud...

I admit that it's a great guitar, and i like it alot. and i admit that i should just be satisfied with what i have. HOWEVER, i've been buying and selling guitars that I wasn't satisfied with, because what i really really want is a gibson LP standard. So now i've quit beating around the bush, and i have one on the way.

BTW, what's with all the car analogies from everyone? i dont know anything about cars :D

• Members

I have found the more you wait for something the more you anticipate it and unless you as severely anal as a person you will love it because the wait made you earn it. My fav guitar turned up dinted in 3 spots but the packaging was mint con'. I wanted the shop to get me another one but they took there sweet time as usual and within a few days i fell in love with the guitar and worried that when my other one shows up i will miss this one i had in the first place. In the end i got $70 worth of cords and strings for a dinted $1400 guitar but I still kept the guitar.

Long story short, I think you are going to love it. PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Everyone says to not get it on ebay.....try a bunch at a store......

but I don't think you can go wrong if you watch the auctions for awhile to get a feel for what the Gibby's are going for.....then wait for a deal and go for it.....

If you aren't happy...you can always turn it back around and get your money back......that in combination with a few trips to a Gibby dealer to decide WHAT exactly to look for..

I am torn on whether to buy any guitar off ebay. Let alone a 2k+ one.

I am mostly interested in models from the VOS line.

I played a '58 VOS at a local shop and it was just unreal. Unplugged it was nearly as loud as my Martin DM.

Also played a '60 VOS. Looked beautiful, but just didn't have "it" like the '58.

And I played a brand new Dot that would not stay in tune.

I'd like to think I could find a good deal on ebay but its scary to think of what you could end up with.

• Members

Only if your Epi isn't doing it for you. I would say fine, get a Gibson, but make it something that gives you some versatility. I have a great sounding and playing Epi LP Custom that I dropped SD Jazz and JB pups into. I also have a Gibson SG Classic with stock P90's. They compliment each other with different voices for different songs/music.

So, get something that gives you some range, not just an incremental improvement.

• Members

Own & play both Gibson & the MIN copies of old..If I were you I would go eaither SG standard which can be had for 750.00 used in prime condition. Just be smart about the auctions. If LP is a must, I would say go used Historic, always alot of them for sale, mostly I think people sell them to pay off there credit cards...*s*.. but for 2000.00 you can get a nice 57 GT or 58 plain top burst in 2 differant colours, both are nice. & look hard enough you can get under 9 lbs.. mine is 8.4lbs & is a dream guitar from a players stand point, I did have bone nut & tusk saddles installed, but again I am a player, the Historics used at around 2000.00-2400.00 are still a good deal. I don't need to hear any Gibbo bashing eather,, all BS...just find a good one..Historics are fairlly safe bets....I have top line MIJ 's & love them, but when I play the 58 you definately know it..it screams tone,, even with BB's..I'll be searching the world shortly for a used white SG historic..I also have top end MIJ SG's...Nice they are for sure.. but the Gibson standard I have which is a 2000 I think just has something they don't & isn't the label on the headstock...With Strats,,,MIJ all the way man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I have a first cousin a year or two older than me. He is a professional musician and has been playing for 40 years. He bought (or his mom did) a new Gibson Les Paul in 1967.

FP

Erm, they quit producing LP's in 61 and didn't bring them back til 68... :confused:

• Members

Erm, they quit producing LP's in 61 and didn't bring them back til 68...
:confused:

I figure he must've meant '57? Only an early 'burst would be worth hundreds of thousands...nothing from the late '60s that I can think of. Either that or an original 'burst was sitting around in a store until '67? I know they were kinda unpopular when they first came out. :freak:

• Members

I figure he must've meant '57? Only an early 'burst would be worth hundreds of thousands...nothing from the late '60s that I can think of. Either that or an original 'burst was sitting around in a store until '67? I know they were kinda unpopular when they first came out.
:freak:

I was just trying to count up the years. I'll be 50 this year. Jeff must be 52 or 53. He started playing when he was 11 or 12. He got his Les Paul when he had been playing a year or two. I'll email him today if I get a chance and see what info I can get.

FP

Archived